Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Aaron+

Dec 26, 2017, 10:46 AM

Post #1 of 9 (6629 views)

Shortcut

Mexconnect, a victim of Facebook, WhatsApp, Tweeter, etc.?

Can't Post | Private Reply
There used to be a healthy flow of new posts and comments thereon, as well as the necessary flow of new folks logging in to Mexconnect. Sadly (in my opinion) this activity has pretty much dried up much as have most rivers in northern Mexico and the US Southwest.

A -- to me local -- Yucatan focused bulletin board based in -- Louisiana? -- similarly appears to be atrophying. Whereas Facebook (FB) activity among expats here overflows with questions and even some view points. Is this your experience elsewhere in Mexico?

My wife and two of her friends recently, essentially, called me a dinosaur for preferring email to the still existing rage here for WhatsApp, which has grown from a texting app to a monster with voice and video. Indeed the WhatsAppers and Tweeters may be threatening the mammoth usage of FB. I never thought I would see the day when even heads of state communicate via a medium llimited to 280 chacters (formerly 140 characters).

johanson

Dec 26, 2017, 3:35 PM

Post #2 of 9 (6612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Mexconnect, a victim of Facebook, WhatsApp, Tweeter, etc.?

It is sad but there seem to be fewer and fewer posts on this type of forum, and more and more on Facebook, twitter etc.
I wish this were not the case
Pete

playaboy

Dec 27, 2017, 4:21 AM

Post #3 of 9 (6594 views)

Shortcut

I believe most web site forums are dying for a couple of reasons. In no particular order

#1 is Facebook. Facebook has become it own section of the WWW. People go online and straight to Facebook. It has tried become the all-in-one go to place for anything and everything. It is very successful at it too.

#2 Facebook, Whatsap, and Twitter have an advantage when using cell phones in Mexico. They don't count against your data usage and become FREE to use. Net-neutrality? Nope, well maybe a Mexican style.

# 3 Moderation. Mexconnect runs a tight ship and doesn't allow the keyboard warriors any slack. When the only discussion is how to get a resident visa or can I renew my FMM it gets boring. I have made some online friends on Mexconnect over the years. I even meet some of you personally. None of them don't post here anymore, except you Rick. Mexconnect forum is boring.

stevebrtx

Dec 27, 2017, 7:01 AM

Post #4 of 9 (6589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Mexconnect, a victim of Facebook, WhatsApp, Tweeter, etc.?

I have 3 rules in life, I don't Fakebook, I don't tweet/twitter and I don't pass gas in public, life if good, I sleep well at night.

Gringal

Jan 26, 2018, 3:23 PM

Post #5 of 9 (5860 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Mexconnect, a victim of Facebook, WhatsApp, Tweeter, etc.?

Ditto. These eat the brain, confuse with false content, tend to be obsessive, allow bullying and anxiety and are successful because there are millions of people willing to hand over their privacy for free to an entity that's making large profits from selling it to advertisers.

johanson

Jan 27, 2018, 9:24 AM

Post #6 of 9 (5789 views)

Shortcut

If you do try Facebook, make sure that you become friends with only those persons with whom you wish to communicate. I Try to keep my friends list below 50, most of whom are my relatives in the states.

That way I am able to keep the activity on my Facebook account rather small. I try to check my Facebook account once per day but sometimes I forget going there as the activity on my account is rather small.

If you do try Facebook make sure that you turn down friendship offers from people you either do not know, barely know or do not normally communicate with or soon you will have so many friends that it will take hours each day to simply check what those "Friends" have posted. Soon you will be hooked, something I sure don't want.

I still haven't tried WhatsApp or twitter and do not want to. I will leave that to the younger generation and the President of the US.

edwinbell

May 28, 2018, 10:09 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Mexconnect, a victim of Facebook, WhatsApp, Tweeter, etc.?

I agree with you. Social media has made people socially inactive. Everyone is concerned about the comments and likes of Facebook, Instagram etc., but no one is bothered about anyone sorrow, bad times and happiness. I missed the old times.

Azuledos

Jul 18, 2018, 7:11 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2809 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Mexconnect, a victim of Facebook, WhatsApp, Tweeter, etc.?

I find WhatsApp to be the most convenient way to communicate with friends and businesses here in Mexico. Almost everyone uses it, plus it's free and encrypted. Don't even need a cellphone, as I use it on a tablet. With it installed there, it can also be accessed from a PC. (You DO need a cellphone number for the initial install, but thereafter can let the phone languish uncharged as long as you retain the rights to the number.)

Using WhatsApp, I don't have to deal with bad phone connections or verbal comprehension issues. The app let's me receive/send in text, so all the words are spelled out, and I can formulate replies at leisure (pre-checking my spelling and grammar if I want).

================================
Veracruz has to be the best kept secret in Mexico.
http://etepetzin.blogspot.com -&- http://azuledos.blogspot.com

drope

Aug 11, 2018, 10:04 AM

Post #9 of 9 (2441 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Azuledos] Mexconnect, a victim of Facebook, WhatsApp, Tweeter, etc.?

Actually the decline started around 2002? when the ownership put in place a plan of self immolation. Took a long time but it happened and you can see that there is virtually no participation here which until that management decision,this was practically the only game in town.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4