Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Mexicallen

Oct 23, 2017, 7:59 AM

Post #1 of 6 (860 views)

Shortcut

Electrical spikes and surges

Can't Post | Private Reply
In a week or so I'll be moving into a rental house which I suspect has only a 2-wire electrical system with no physical ground.
I'm a bit concerned about my Apple laptops and iPads should there be spikes and surges. I assume there are a number of these type of homes in the area where owners have internet and computers? Any idea of the frequency of problems with laptops getting turned into bricks? And are there any partial solutions short of getting permission and revising the electrical wiring in the home?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mexicallen

rvgringo

Oct 23, 2017, 9:28 AM

Post #2 of 6 (857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicallen] Electrical spikes and surges

We lived in Ajijic centro a few years, and in Chapala centro for a decade or more. Never did have anything more than the protection of a simple plug-in strip. We had Apple laptops and an iMac, which I am typing on now, and never had a problem. They are capable of handling multiple voltages & seem able to handle the variations common in Mexico.

DavidHF

Oct 23, 2017, 3:50 PM

Post #3 of 6 (843 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicallen] Electrical spikes and surges

The power supply for your devices will protect them from voltage variations and spikes/surges. Add a surge protector plug strip and you'll be fine.

johanson

Oct 24, 2017, 5:53 AM

Post #4 of 6 (824 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Electrical spikes and surges

remember that a surge protector needs a grounded line. When I first moved into my house I actually ran a copper wire out the window and to a 2 meter rod I ran into the ground and connected the other end of the wire to the outlet that provided power to my computer.
Is a ground needed? A lot of people live in Mexico without them and do not have any trouble. But I have always had one and the one time I had a surge created by an electrician my ground fault interrupters worked because of the grounding rod. The surge protectors needed to be replaced but the TV and other electronics didn't.

stevebrtx

Oct 24, 2017, 6:33 AM

Post #5 of 6 (823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Electrical spikes and surges

In Riberas the CFE problems are/were legendary. I had a combination of grounded and ungrounded plugs. On my PC desk I ran a big UPS battery backup regulator. Over 7 years the CFE wiped out 7 routers, 1 tele answering box, 1 phone and most importantly, 2 UPS regulators. Yes, two sacrificed themselves to save the attached equipment. Oh, add $800MXD repair on the home theater (also on regulator). The newer washer/dryers have boards in them, I've read a few folks who had to replace them as well. Typically, laptops etc are protected by their power supplies. In all the years NOB and now again 3 years NOB I've lost nothing with no regulators.

One thing I did about a year before leaving was to buy a rather simple Koblenz regulator from WalMart which actually stepped down the output to 120VAC, I plugged everything else including the UPS into that, never lost anything after that, so like filtering the water, sometimes you need a series of "filters".
http://www.chapalaweather.net

playaboy

Oct 24, 2017, 7:20 AM

Post #6 of 6 (820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Electrical spikes and surges

Electricity can s-ck around Lakeside. It is usually a combination of things. Either the CFE system is old and not maintained or the house is old and not properly wired.

I did the same as Steve, a regulator and then the UPS. Never lost a thing.

Get one of those plug in testers for electrical sockets. They check ground and polarity.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Tools-Outlet-Tester-Green-MS112H/206029154

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4