Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CanMex

Dec 18, 2002, 8:04 AM

Post #1 of 39 (6671 views)

Shortcut

Last night's rumpus

Can't Post |
 I was just getting ready to Congratulate the Moderator, for permitting the exchange that took place last night, just when the thread was taken away from me.

I am just a poster here, but in my opinion the posts I got to read, although they were a bit aggressive, did bring some good points out, and I believe it is good to air out the dirty clothes every once in a while.

Proof being that every time you close a thread, brings a few days of calm to be followed again by the letting out of built up anger and frustration. What's wrong with the good old "let them get it out of their system".

Who are you protecting? I have not seen any children posting on this Site, although some conduct themselves as so. What's the purpose of shutting down a thread, although I did not participate in last night's rumpus, I sure was appreciative of reading what I managed to read before being cut off, and my feelings were, gee finally they are letting some steam off, and this should bring to light many things and clear the air, and I am sure anyone reading calmly this morning would have been enlightened.

Again this is not my site, but I believe, that the freedom of expression should be extended anywhere in the world, not that I condone hatred crimes or anything, but between adults I think we can endure a bit more than what is permitted on this Site.

It's not like if it was causing too much traffic or something, so now what? back to repeating the same old questions and answers until the next blow up?

And I do believe, that most last night, did bring up good points which should be discussed.

Luc

PS Lot's of readers were cheated from reading, what might of been very interesting to them, and cheated the chance to respond

Uncle Jack

Dec 18, 2002, 8:23 AM

Post #2 of 39 (6328 views)

Shortcut

Damn!

Can't Post | Private Reply
I guess that I went to bed too early last night..........I missed the whole thing.

Rolly

Dec 18, 2002, 8:34 AM

Post #3 of 39 (6318 views)

Shortcut

Children on the website

Hi Luc,

Actually there are quite a few school kids who view this website. I have gotten several e-mails regarding my life in Mexico from kids who found me via this board.

I missed the activity you spoke about, but in general I have found David to be pretty tolerant of people's opinions and some pretty off the wall stuff. Be glad I'm not the moderator, I'd be more hard nosed than he is. Smile

Rolly Pirate

CanMex

Dec 18, 2002, 8:58 AM

Post #4 of 39 (6280 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Children on the website

Can't Post |
Hi Rolly,

I stand corrected on the children not being here.

My making the statement about children not posting, was more in the sense that these posts being deleted, which numbered in the tens, were not written by children but were kind of treated like children more than adults. In the 8 or 10 I read that were deleted, there was no foul language, no sexual comments etc...

Would you admit, that if we stick to each post having to contain, Living, Working or Retiring, only comments, we might as well fold it up, or just check the site once a week or once a month to be updated.

Luc

PS This had nothing to do with my posts, not one of them were ever deleted.

CanMex

Dec 18, 2002, 9:12 AM

Post #5 of 39 (6231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Children on the website

Can't Post |
Rolly,

By the way, I also missed the action last night. And if I would have gotten on the web 15 minutes earlier this morning, I would have gotten to read all of them, it's only when I went to the following page, that everything jammed up.

And as I said, None of the deleted posts, were mine, and further I have never had one deleted. So my statements are not from outrage for my personal reasons, just my sincere, calm thoughts and opinion.

Am I being to liberal?

Luc

Rolly

Dec 18, 2002, 9:29 AM

Post #6 of 39 (6260 views)

Shortcut

Play nice!

I think a hardy discussion of ideas and explorations of areas of disagreement is fine. I am turned off when a thread gets into name calling and a general exchange of ignorance and hatefulness. There seems to be a handful of folks who fall into this mode rather easily. I have made a New Year's resolution not to read these threads, in fact I have already started to avoid a thread as soon as it shows signs of falling into the pig pen. Some of them make me think Chicken Little may have been right.

I have been deleted. I don't think I have even been axed for being hateful, just for wandering off subject.

Feliz Navidad!

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 18, 2002, 9:31 AM)

Todd DF

Dec 18, 2002, 9:47 AM

Post #7 of 39 (6237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Play nice!

Can't Post |
Hey Rolly....your picture really gets me in the Christmas spirit....I can't help but think of Burl Ives in the Rudolph flick.........silver and gold....silver and gold!!

Feliz Navidad!

Gary sculptari

Dec 18, 2002, 10:03 AM

Post #8 of 39 (6236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanMex] You Should Already Know

Can't Post |
That people who are unhappy with their lives and situation try to drag others to that level. People who are happy with their lives try to drag to that level. And most people just don't want to be dragged anywhere at all, especially out of their warm, cozy beds!

In another wording. Some people see the glass half empty. Some people see the glass half full. Most people (the moderators in this case) say ' who keeps leaving these damn glasses out all the time, for ME to cleanup?!?!?'.

arbon

Dec 18, 2002, 10:30 AM

Post #9 of 39 (6223 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanMex] Last night's rumpus .A picture is worth a thousand words

Can't Post |
;

I think last nights "Rumble"looked like this.Wink

DavidMcL

Dec 18, 2002, 11:53 AM

Post #10 of 39 (6196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gary sculptari] The Maid's response . .

Gary and Arbon - thanks for the laughs!

Yup, the maid was out last night late, cleaning up after the party. And then this morning the pasture seemed to have been the subject of a herd of cows stampeding through after eating wet clover . . .

See my earlier posting: Previous Post

Basically, the topic was great. Too many postings were highly personal flames and the subject itself became only an excuse to vent.

In addition to children reading this site, I receive emails from adults telling me that while they really enjoy the forums, they really get turned off by the interpersonal sniping as it wastes their time, belongs in the private email/response section and really detracts from enjoyable, informative banter.

Exchanging opinions is great. Having strong opinions is great. Becoming highly personal is unacceptable.

Others have posted something like the following in these forums, and I agree:

Behave as if this were a party amongst good friends and your parents. You have a tendency to think before you speak, and to get someone to listen to your views, you need to acknowledge and respect their views fist.

Now, back to putting the glasses out to pasture . . .

David
David McL
WebJefe

(This post was edited by davidmcl on Dec 18, 2002, 11:57 AM)

DavidMcL

Dec 18, 2002, 12:00 PM

Post #11 of 39 (6172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [davidmcl] Addendum . .

Someone nicely suggested:

" David, have you considered cleaning up and then locking threads so as to retain useful dialogue?"

I try to do that when I have time to wend my way through and weed.

However - it is a strong suggestion!

Thus I will try to Lock the thread first and then clean up when I can.

Suerte

David
David McL
WebJefe

scott

Dec 18, 2002, 1:14 PM

Post #12 of 39 (6162 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanMex] Children on the website

Can't Post |
For the record, I was not part of this discussion last night. Just want people who didn't see it to know. Though I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Marisol get bitched out to the extend that she did. When I read it at 2:30am Michoacan time, I posted one teeny tiny message which provided a link to the CNN article about the Native Rights leader in Canada who lost his job 3 days ago for publicly stating he supported the holocaust. I was post #51 I think, so thats how many messages were deleted.

MarisolEnPlayas

Dec 18, 2002, 2:29 PM

Post #13 of 39 (6138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Last night's rumpus .A picture is worth a thousand words

Can't Post |
Arbon,

I absolutely agree...LOL

MarisolEnPlayas

Dec 18, 2002, 2:32 PM

Post #14 of 39 (6140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [scott] Children on the website

Can't Post |
Scott,

I don't think Alteno or the other Mexicans would feel I was the one getting bitched out, but thank you for your biased contribution, ONCE AGAIN. BTW, your name was in there twice at least dear...LOL

MarisolEnPlayas

Dec 18, 2002, 2:38 PM

Post #15 of 39 (6127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanMex] Last night's rumpus

Can't Post |
CanMex,

Honestly, I think David does a fine job of moderating. I have no problem with the decisions he made for last night's posts. It was a bitch fest with both sides calling names and neither of us backing down. As if that wasn't enough, I was even sent some private messages to further the discussion...LOL

I agree that simply discussing the "nice" things about Mexico is not very educational as we've all seen them, but this is what the purpose of this forum is for. Maybe we should take this to another forum out of respect for others that can't stand confrontations. That would mean, you, me, Randy, Alteno, Richard, Scott and sometimes Pedro could free up the others for conversation about Mexico. Name the place. But I agree, this site will probably have significantly LESS action. Maybe that's a good thing.

Would you like me to begin a thread in Yahoo? Or would you like to. I agree that all parties learn from airing dirty laundry more than hiding it behind closet doors.

Marisol.

And you can call me anything you want in there...LOL It may provide more honesty and in turn more understanding than a site that is censored by people with their own biases. What do you say?

pedro naco

Dec 18, 2002, 4:44 PM

Post #16 of 39 (6099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MarisolEnPlayas] Last night's rumpus

Can't Post |
i resemble being an afterthought-harumph! sorry i don't know how to spell rasberry-any ideas?

MarisolEnPlayas

Dec 18, 2002, 4:53 PM

Post #17 of 39 (6090 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pedro] Last night's rumpus

Can't Post |
Pedro,

I would NEVER call you an afterthought! You are more like one of those Mexican after dinner mints dear...you remove the bad taste in my mouth after dealing with others...LOL

Please do put your two pesos in...notice my spelling of pesos has improved, although I almost slipped again. I welcome input from ANYONE that could stand REAL conversation. I'm going to begin a site in Yahoo tonight. It won't be censored as I'm a big girl and can take my blows like anyone else. I sense we will have some heavy discussions and some learning. And I can finally say what I want to without trying to appease people that began this site...because I would really love to speak frankly for a change. The censorship forbids this here. We have to play the passive aggressive game to appease those that can't keep their eyes off our discussions but feel harmed by them. That concept always amused me. The REAL Latin feelings will come out!~

scott

Dec 18, 2002, 5:01 PM

Post #18 of 39 (6086 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MarisolEnPlayas] Children on the website

Can't Post |
When are you going to get it through your head that I am not posting with other names. As such, I posted one message at 2:30am, a link to CNN and nothing more. I am not CanMex, I am not anyone else. I was fast alseep, from 8:30pm to 2am sick with a bad cold. I had no part in your discussion.

Gary sculptari

Dec 18, 2002, 5:04 PM

Post #19 of 39 (6088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanMex] Rumbles on the Internet

Can't Post |
I have been online since 300 baud Compuserve. I have seen the ebbs and flows of these wars of words. My advice is that if it raw confrontation and unlimited debate is your thing, you could do a lot better than tearing up these forums.

Usenet still the main forum for this activity, but ICQ and Dalnet are also used. My most memorable debates were on alt.bigfoot - the 'intelligent' discussion of whether there was such a creature or not - a weird mix of science and nonsense.

Today, much of the activity is by the snuh crowd on soc.men - a mens rights and mysogynist site, they also goad on the alt.music.whitepower goons. Then there are the 'old school' flonkers over on alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk, and the 'older school' meowers over on alt.fan.karlmaldennose. These are unrestricted flame wars, some of which have gone on for years. These groups spawned much of the current internet buzzwords such as flaming, trolls, sockpuppets, spanking, cascading etc. I subscribe to a premium usenet server, but today there are over 45,000 posts on soc.men.

Do a google search of words such as 'flonk' 'meow' in combination with 'usenet' to learn more - or just get yourself a free newsreader program and jump right in.

Internet providers usually provide free usenet, dalnet and ICQ access.

So if the moderator says 'take it outside' I have just given you the addresses of the professional boxing rings.

Mereja

Dec 18, 2002, 5:10 PM

Post #20 of 39 (6073 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MarisolEnPlayas] Low riders

Can't Post |
You probably didn't see my post this morning, I forgot to tell you to be careful if you take your low rider to Michoacan, it is really hard to get over those topes without scraping the bottom. Oh darn, I am confused. I don't understand why all those Mexicans would put so many topes when they all drive those low riders. I guess they must have air shocks so when they come to a tope they lift it up. What do you do? My husband didn't take his low rider this year when we went. LOL

Abq

Dec 18, 2002, 5:19 PM

Post #21 of 39 (6066 views)

Shortcut

Sock puppet, spanking and cascading?

Can't Post |
OK, So I'm not in the loop. What are they?

(This post was edited by Abq on Dec 18, 2002, 5:21 PM)

MarisolEnPlayas

Dec 18, 2002, 5:41 PM

Post #22 of 39 (6053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mereja] Low riders

Can't Post |
Mereja,

Forgot mine too. Shoot, I settled for a Jeep Wrangler. I got RIPPED!

Here's the address for the discussion group for honest debate without censorship if interested. Anyone that wants to discuss these things honestly is invited to come, but you will not be protected people.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marisolenplayas

Gary sculptari

Dec 18, 2002, 6:37 PM

Post #23 of 39 (6033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Abq] Sock puppet, spanking and cascading?

Can't Post |
You are really not missing much. Sock puppet is based on a false identity (as being accused of here, in another thread), usually answering and agreeing with your own posts, it is pretty sophisticated, involving 'winsocks' -hence its name. Spanking is showing up someone in a big, fat lie - or driving them out of a forum or thread, usually requires a group effort. Cascading is hard to explain - it is using asci text sets to create usually large files, often with a graphic design - sort of like the 'wave' at soccer/football games? The groups will often invade an unsuspecting group - like rec.pets.cats with a post like 'cats - the third white meat' and then buildup a cascade on the unsuspecting and much annoyed cat lovers.

Still more entertaining than talk radio - although I do like the Phil Hendrie Show and occasionally Art Bell.

sparks

Dec 18, 2002, 7:02 PM

Post #24 of 39 (6021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gary sculptari] Sock puppet, spanking and cascading?

Can't Post |
Gee thanks Gary ... shows that I'm getting old and only have time to work with computers day to day. 10+ years ago I would have known all those answers. Heck, I'm just getting to play with XP in production more these last few months.

I thought all those NYMS were adolecent references to sex.

Alteño

Dec 18, 2002, 10:59 PM

Post #25 of 39 (5998 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanMex] Last night's rumpus: REQUIESCAT IN PACE, PER SECULA SECULORUM.

Can't Post |
nmsg
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4