Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

helenbernabe

Sep 15, 2017, 11:15 AM

Post #1 of 8 (15402 views)

Shortcut

Crossing at Laredo

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am planning on crossing at Laredo,TX after Christmas. Is it safe to drive to Hidalgo? What routes should I take? Any help would be appreciated...

(This post was edited by helenbernabe on Sep 27, 2017, 5:05 PM)

RickS

Sep 15, 2017, 12:59 PM

Post #2 of 8 (15390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [helenbernabe] Crossing at Laredo

Well, Helen, thousands of folks travel that road daily without much/any trouble. The Press in the US makes it sound like one would be putting their life at risk to drive in Mexico but we all do it daily.

Crossing at Laredo you would drive down hiway 85 to Monterrey where you would take hiway 40 west towards Saltillo. Around Saltillo you would go south on hiway 57 towards Hidalgo. You didn't say whether you are going to the State of Hidalgo or the City of Hidalgo so hard to guide you to your destination.

Most of your travels will be on 4-lane roads, sometimes toll (cuota). You will of course need to have pesos for your trip for gas, tolls, lodging and food.

helenbernabe

Sep 15, 2017, 2:18 PM

Post #3 of 8 (15382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Crossing at Laredo

Sry about that we are going to the State of Hidalgo

RickS

Sep 15, 2017, 2:30 PM

Post #4 of 8 (15378 views)

Shortcut

Assuming that you will be going to the 'western/central' side of the state, the routing I shared will work. On 57, 'shortly' after passing the city of Queretaro, you'll be getting close to the boundaries of Hidalgo. If you are going more towards Pachuca, you'll want to continue on 57 until you reach hiway M40D, the Autopista Arco Norte cuota, which goes out into Hidalgo initially.

helenbernabe

Sep 15, 2017, 2:38 PM

Post #5 of 8 (15377 views)

Shortcut

thank you

fred92

Feb 26, 2018, 10:59 PM

Post #6 of 8 (9299 views)

Shortcut

Looking to visit Hidalgo soon. I've read a couple of concerns about Laredo as well, glad the place is totally safe.

palebluekat

May 6, 2018, 9:19 PM

Post #7 of 8 (7172 views)

Shortcut

Hi! I have the same questions and concerns as the original poster. There are so many scary stories about buses held up en route to Monterrey from the border. My partner and I have booked a Greyhound bus and are considering changing our plans entirely because we are worried about potential danger.

You said you have done the journey many times? Do you hear of hold-ups which occur often on intercity buses?

I hate falling for the media's hype about Mexico's dangers.. it's such an easy trap to fall into, but then I think about worst case scenarios and get scared.

If you have any advice, please let me know :)

RickS

May 7, 2018, 8:27 AM

Post #8 of 8 (7163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [palebluekat] Crossing at Laredo

The short version is that, with high probability, you will be just fine. If it were me Id consider that bus trip similar to if I took a bus trip from, say, Houston to New Orleans. Maybe even better.

You asked about hold-ups on intercity bus trips and yes they do happen on occasion somewhere in Mexico.... maybe once every 3-4 months somewhere as a guess. But again that will be, IMO, a possibility but surely not a probability.

10s of thousands if not 100s of thousands of people do the trip you are suggesting without any thought to being robbed or otherwise confronted by bad guys. Id be more concerned, seriously, about hitting a cow or a horse on the road!

YMMV

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4