Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

skier14

Sep 5, 2017, 12:04 PM

Post #1 of 15 (3573 views)

Shortcut

Old Age Discounts

Can't Post | Private Reply
I went to Walmart yesterday to pickup some new medicine for my diabetes. Its 890 pesos for 30 tablets and the cleark asked me if I had a card qualifying me for a discount. What is this. I am not a Mexican citizen, but am RP.

johanson

Sep 5, 2017, 1:43 PM

Post #2 of 15 (3566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Old Age Discounts

I too am a permanente and after may age 65, I don't remember, I got my INAPAM or senior discount card. Now not all stores recognize them or say you already got the discount without the card, Stores like Walmart give you an added discount if you have this card.
How did I get the card, well I went to the local Lake Chapala Society which consists of many English speaking persons lakeside sponsored same and had the appropriate government agencies there.
Or said in another way I don't know what is required to get one. I just know that I have one
Sorry I can not be more specific. :)

rvgringo

Sep 5, 2017, 1:47 PM

Post #3 of 15 (3566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Old Age Discounts

It is the federal INAPAM card, which can be applied for at the nearest DIF office. You will need the usual proofs of ID, residence, birth certificate, etc., with copies of each. That, and patience. In Chapala, years ago, it took us repeated visits over 8 months to get the cards. I suggest that you inquire in your state capitol; probably at the palacio federal.

chicois8

Sep 5, 2017, 2:51 PM

Post #4 of 15 (3559 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I went to Walmart yesterday to pickup some new medicine for my diabetes. Its 890 pesos for 30 tablets and the cleark asked me if I had a card qualifying me for a discount. What is this. I am not a Mexican citizen, but am RP.

Many pharmacies and big box stores have discount cards...
What diabetes meds cost 890 for 30 day supply?
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Gatos

Sep 6, 2017, 10:21 AM

Post #5 of 15 (3528 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
When we purchase something from the pharmacy at Walmart they automatically give us a discount - even without our showing our INAPAM cards. (And we are still in our early 60s).

The closest pharmacy to us is a FarmaPronto - which has its own discount card and does not honor INAPAM.

We obtained our INAPAM cards (at the age of 60) at the local (not so near) Registro Civil (not DIF). It was a piece of cake and they were some of the friendliest/helpful people we have dealt with in Mexico. It took perhaps 30 minutes. The card has the same photo on it as does my US passport - so you are going to need that for sure. You cannot get anything accomplished in Mexico without your comprobante de domocilio (CFE/Telmex bill). And since you are attesting that you are 60 - I suppose you need something (like a US passport) to prove your age.

From time to time we go to a local top of the line medical laboratory - which is a fraction of the cost you would find in the US. They don't honor INAPAM - but for some reason I can't explain - they give us a 50% discount when we show them our Sam's Club membership card.

Finally 890 X 12 is almost 11,000 pesos. For less than that you could enroll in IMSS and (possibly) get your meds for free. Yes - they supposedly have things they will not cover and they have supposedly a kind of stepped acceptance scheme - but we have found them to be very 'agreeable' (non-stringent to the rules). For example - in five years they have only shown nothing but intense interest/support for my hypertension.

chicois8

Sep 6, 2017, 11:21 AM

Post #6 of 15 (3521 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gatos] Old Age Discounts

"When we purchase something from the pharmacy at Walmart they automatically give us a discount - even without our showing our INAPAM cards. (And we are still in our early 60s). ""

Maybe you just look old, LOL

I am 70 and got carded at an OXXO last month.........
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by chicois8 on Sep 6, 2017, 11:22 AM)

Gatos

Sep 6, 2017, 12:04 PM

Post #7 of 15 (3517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Old Age Discounts

Can't Post |
hehehe - I might be in my early 60s - but I would bet you a dinner that my biceps are bigger than your calves... hehehe

chicois8

Sep 6, 2017, 12:14 PM

Post #8 of 15 (3515 views)

Shortcut

I may weigh 400 pounds and have huge calves, you never know when making a challenge........jajajajaj
San Mateo, California

Gatos

Sep 6, 2017, 12:29 PM

Post #9 of 15 (3513 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You win. Adios.

skier14

Sep 6, 2017, 6:44 PM

Post #10 of 15 (3499 views)

Shortcut

The medicine is named Jardianz which also called Empagliflozina. Manufactured by Boehringer Ingelheim distributed by Lilly. I tried Farmacia Guadalajara and they didn't even have it stock at any of their stores. Walmart close to me didn't have it, but one several miles away did. This medicine removes sugar(glucose) from the bloodstream via the kidneys. I take 1/2 a 25 mg tablet in the afternoon. I also take 1 tablet of Trayenta (Linagliptina) 5 mg in the morning. After 1 month taking both medicines my morning blood check is almost always between 110 and 130.

skier14

Sep 6, 2017, 6:47 PM

Post #11 of 15 (3499 views)

Shortcut

890 pesos. At 83 years old and an past bypass operation and kidney removal due to cancer, I am not a IMMS candidate.

esperanza

Sep 7, 2017, 5:49 AM

Post #12 of 15 (3490 views)

Shortcut

Skier14, INAPAM is the Instituto Nacional de las Personas Adultas Mayores. You, as a Residente Permanente, are eligible for this free card once you are 60 years old (or older). There is no pre-existing condition exclusion, as this is not a medical card. It's analogous to a senior citizen discount card. Some of the discounts are huge: bus travel, for example, is discounted by 50% whether you are going around the block or to the other side of the country. Most pharmacies offer small to medium discounts on medicines. Most museums are free to INAPAM card holders. Most concerts are discounted by as much as 50%. The card is well worth having.

Here's a link to the INAPAM website:
https://www.gob.mx/inapam#acciones

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Gringal

Sep 8, 2017, 7:28 AM

Post #13 of 15 (3458 views)

Shortcut

You may already know this, but: IMSS health insurance bars pre-existing conditions, but the other program, Seguro Popular, does not.
As another poster said, that discount card, INAPAM, has no restrictions and can get good discounts for elders age 60 and over.

Mexicanbill

Sep 24, 2017, 3:43 PM

Post #14 of 15 (3274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Old Age Discounts

Can you get the card if you only have a Residente Temporal?
Chef William aka MexicanBill

Aaron+

Oct 8, 2017, 10:08 AM

Post #15 of 15 (3005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Old Age Discounts

Yes, see https://www.gob.mx/...er-la-tarjeta-inapam

INAPAM is a federal agency and has its own offices, typically not at a DIF office, except in small towns, where it may be co-located with DIF or at the municipal palace..

Merida has its only Adulto Mayor card, available through its DIF office, but seems to have no provision for foreignors, see http://www.merida.gob.mx/.../adulto_tarjeta.phpx

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4