Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Mandy75

Aug 27, 2017, 3:20 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3085 views)

Shortcut

HELP - Prescription Medications

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

We just ran into an article on the Internet that talks about a huge amount of paperwork to process prior to your trip if you're coming to Mexico if you need prescription medications. Is this true? I really hope someone will comment on this because we are lost and have only 4 days until we leave for Mexico.

PS. We plan to find a doctor in Mexico who would prescribe our medications once we are out of what we have. Could this article be talking about people going to Mexico just for the purpose of purchasing or attempting to purchase prescription drugs there? We would greatly appreciate any information you can help us with.

Thank you so much!

(This post was edited by Mandy75 on Aug 27, 2017, 4:04 PM)

tonyburton

Aug 27, 2017, 6:13 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3074 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mandy75] HELP - Prescription Medications

You should not encounter any problems finding a doctor and getting new prescriptions for any "regular" medication. There can be some challenges involved in getting prescriptions (and getting them filled) for certain specific powerful pain meds but for most people's more usual needs, there should be no problem.

Mandy75

Aug 27, 2017, 8:27 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] HELP - Prescription Medications

Thank you so much, Mr. Burton. That is a relief.

Do you know about the other medications? I have a condition for which I am prescribed a controlled medication and am a bit worried about having to do without...

Thank you again. I really appreciate your response.

Mandy

RickS

Aug 28, 2017, 6:33 AM

Post #4 of 11 (3055 views)

Shortcut

You probably need to 'name' the medications you will need and folks will respond as to their availability in Mexico.

johanson

Aug 28, 2017, 11:50 AM

Post #5 of 11 (3040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] HELP - Prescription Medications

Several of the blood pressure and heart rate and thyroid medications that one needs an RX for you can buy over the counter down here. Now should it be a sleeping pill, you need an Rx
It would be smarter as suggested above to have a Doc write out what you need. One time I bought a Blood pressure med down here and didn't know that I wanted the extended release type that worked over 24 hours not instantly. It got me all confused when checking my BP.

Gringal

Sep 1, 2017, 11:53 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] HELP - Prescription Medications

There are doctors who specialize in pain care. I think they can give prescriptions for the more powerful meds. Most local docs seem to be reluctant on this. You can probably find out who the Pain Docs are on the local web board where you move.
In the area near lake Chapala, the local web board is Chapala.com or Inside Lakeside.
Welcome and good luck!

DavidHF

Sep 3, 2017, 10:29 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2919 views)

Shortcut

Opiates and Antibiotics require Rx. The vast majority of other drugs do not.

esperanza

Sep 4, 2017, 8:32 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2892 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] HELP - Prescription Medications

In Reply To
Opiates and Antibiotics require Rx. The vast majority of other drugs do not.

Most psychotropic drugs also require a prescription.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

ecollard

Sep 30, 2017, 6:33 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2404 views)

Shortcut

Be aware that meds have different names in Mexico.
Also, I found that, when I needed an antibiotic, I went to one of the Chapala pharmacies, was given the meds, and was told that the doctor would fill out the prescription later! This was a few years ago, so maybe things have changed, but maybe not...
Eileen

drope

Oct 12, 2017, 9:02 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ecollard] HELP - Prescription Medications

In Reply To
Be aware that meds have different names in Mexico.
Also, I found that, when I needed an antibiotic, I went to one of the Chapala pharmacies, was given the meds, and was told that the doctor would fill out the prescription later! This was a few years ago, so maybe things have changed, but maybe not...

you need a RX for antibiotics now.

johanson

Oct 13, 2017, 5:42 AM

Post #11 of 11 (2142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ecollard] HELP - Prescription Medications

As was just written you need an Rx for antibiotic. I need hem for sleeping pills too, but not those for high blood pressure, Etc.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4