Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

skier14

Jul 20, 2017, 8:28 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2064 views)

Shortcut

Mex. Customs

Can't Post | Private Reply
On my last trip to the USA, June-July, 2017, I left my glucose checking device in the rental car upon returning it. After arrival home in Guadalajara, I discovered the device missing. I called the rental car company, they had the device and took it to a Postal Annex office where I called and authorized the device to be shipped to me in Mexico. It was shipped via FEDEX at the cost a little over $100, charged to my credit card. A week passed without arrival and I checked with FEDEX using the tracking number. It seems my device is in Guadalajara, but is being held up by customs as the sender needs to send a health certificate to allow this old meter of mine into the country. I have traveled in and out of Mexico more than 20 time over the past 15 years and this meter is always in my carry-on luggage, Never had a problem. Now this ONE-TOUCH meter is widely available in most pharmacies and supermarkets in Mexico so replacing it is only pesos spent, but this old meter allows me to use generic test strips which are way cheaper than One-Touch brand and more important it has a memory that has a lot of my past test numbers for my doctor to check when evaluating my diabetes care. Since this brand of meter is available in Mexico does anybody have any idea what is going on?

johanson

Jul 20, 2017, 2:07 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Mex. Customs

Saying welcome to Mexico is a little rude sounding. But although I have been coming since 1996, there are always things like this which don't make sense to me. I wish I had a better answer, other than I wish you better luck next time. But I do not know anything better to say..
Sorry about your bad luck.

skier14

Jul 20, 2017, 2:26 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Mex. Customs

I also am constantly surprised what can happen in Mexico. Almost like the US.(haha) I think I will see if the shipping company Postal Annex can retrieve my meter and then I can pick it up when I return to the US in October. I happen to have a P.O.Box with this company, just different location. I really want that old meter.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jul 20, 2017, 5:58 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2027 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Mex. Customs

You need an import permit from COFEPRIS (Federal Commission for Protection Against Health Risks), the Mexican government authority that regulates drugs, medications, etc., and medical equipment.

A copy of this approved permit must be in the package with the device when it arrives at Mexican Customs. This is true for any device that arrives by itself, not in the company of its owner or someone else entering Mexico.

You can start at this link ("Medical Import Permit for Medical Devices for Personal Use")

Permiso sanitario de importación de dispositivos médicos para uso personal

There are several contact phone numbers at the bottom of the link above. You could try enlisting the help of a native Spanish speaker to call those numbers and ask for help to find out what your options are.

However, my personal opinion is that, at this point, you are S.O.L. and should just ask FedEx to return the glucose meter to an address in the States. Last I heard COFEPRIS was taking 6-8 weeks to process import permit applications and by that time, FedEx will have sent it back anyway.

BTW, if you can't find someone flying (or driving) down who could bring the unit with them in their luggage, you might try having it sent via the US Post Office. Packages sent from the States via the USPS travel by land and clear Mexican Customs at a different facility than shipments sent via the major courier services (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.), which have to clear customs at at major airport (Mexico City, GDL). Rumor has it that the Mexican postal service customs people are much more lax than the airport folks and most items get through. Much slower, though (3-4 weeks).

Good luck,

K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

skier14

Jul 21, 2017, 6:45 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Mex. Customs

Thank you for the info. FEDEX has sent the package back to the Postal Annex from which it was shipped. I have a mail box at a different Postal Annex in the same city, San Diego, CA, so I will have it transferred and held until I return in Oct. as I am a patient at the VA Medical center there. Appointments every 4 months. I have bought another meter here to use in the meantime. Always something here in Mexico to use up ones time and pesos. Love your closing.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4