Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

douglowell

Apr 3, 2017, 12:17 PM

Post #1 of 13 (6385 views)

Shortcut

Scorpions

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, Friends,

I read a disturbing post about a family that moved to Aguacaliente in the Central Highlands and their problem with scorpions in their house at night.

I must admit, this freaked me out a bit. I've been planning for an eventual retire to either the Central Highlands (Moreleos, Cuernavaca, etc) or Mazatlan or La Paz (still have visiting to do). Any of you have a similar scorpion problem? Anything that can be done? At our age, my wife and I are getting up a couple of times in the nighot to use el baño. Do not want that worry.

Thanks so much for your help.

Doug

(This post was edited by douglowell on Apr 3, 2017, 2:40 PM)

chicois8

Apr 3, 2017, 1:22 PM

Post #2 of 13 (6378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [douglowell] Scorpions

Just purchase a black light flashlight, when nature calls simply turn it on and the scorpions will be florescent so you can step over or kill them...

When I was bit I was able to drive to my Dr. as my tongue started to swell..

In Reply To
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

douglowell

Apr 3, 2017, 1:37 PM

Post #3 of 13 (6374 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Scorpions

Thanks, Chicois8. Yes, I've read about the black light and the scorpion glow. I was sort of hoping to prevent them getting in. But perhaps that's an unreasonable wish.

chicois8

Apr 3, 2017, 2:35 PM

Post #4 of 13 (6368 views)

Shortcut

I guess there are some heavy pesticides you could spray around the permitter of the house but what about the ones already hiding inside..........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Gatos

Apr 3, 2017, 4:35 PM

Post #5 of 13 (6358 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We live in the general area you have in mind - and yes from time to time we have a scorpion or two. Truth is - you will see a lot more after you move into a house which has been vacant for a while. There are several types of scorpions. Apparently you don't need to worry about the black/grey ones. The white/red/translucent ones are a different matter. Here - if you get zapped you would visit the Red Cross Clinic (they are super). Cost 100 pesos and perhaps a 10 minute wait (or less). Definitely the most professional/quickest care we could find. Having a house full of cats also helps. Periodically I spray the house with Biothrine (inside and out) - Pet safe once dry.

douglowell

Apr 3, 2017, 7:15 PM

Post #6 of 13 (6351 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gatos] Scorpions

Thanks, Gatos. I lived in Albuquerque for five years where I stepped on Black Widows on my way home from the bars. And I don't mind bumping into a rattlesnake in Central Oregon. But the idea of scorpions in my house...it feels different.

Gatos

Apr 4, 2017, 9:38 AM

Post #7 of 13 (6312 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You probably don't want to hear this then. It has been a few years now but we were renting a very nice two story house in the best part of town. The neighborhood was extremely wooded and there were many empty lots. We woke up one Sunday morning to find perhaps a two foot snake in the corner of our second story bedroom. There were four cats that were keeping it in its place. We are at a much higher elevation now and have only seen one dead snake on the outside patio.

sparks

Apr 4, 2017, 10:05 AM

Post #8 of 13 (6308 views)

Shortcut

Buy door sweeps for all outside doors. Secure window closing and screens

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Gatos

Apr 4, 2017, 11:28 AM

Post #9 of 13 (6293 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Scorpions

Can't Post |
Of course - but stuff still gets in - through chimneys, kitchen vents, light fixtures, floor drains etc.

At one point last fall we had perhaps 100 abejas flying around inside our living room. They came down the fireplace. We have since closed that up. But this house has been here nearly 20 years - it is a never ending battle.

douglowell

Apr 4, 2017, 6:03 PM

Post #10 of 13 (6266 views)

Shortcut

Not a problem. I actually love snakes.

roberb7

Apr 10, 2017, 5:37 PM

Post #11 of 13 (6057 views)

Shortcut

Re: Scorpions

My cat kills scorpions. Snakes, too. And she got three really big cockroaches.

CasaColibri

Jul 11, 2017, 11:42 AM

Post #12 of 13 (2720 views)

Shortcut

I read somewhere a while back that the French use lavendar around doorways and windows to discourage scorpions. Haven't tried it as I don't generally have scorpions where I live. My dog got one little one once. There ARE tarantulas. The first one, I yelled, then squished it! Yuck, big mess! Now, I just get the dustpan and broom and remove them to outdoors. P.S. they're small and I've only had three come in the house in 12 years.

stevebrtx

Jul 11, 2017, 1:07 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2713 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CasaColibri] Scorpions

Scorpions happen, what can you say, they were here a long long time before us. Seems I've heard the purple stuff you use to scrub your floors runs them off. Of course we have them here in TX, I had 3 in the Gbath tub before I remodeled. But, I will say the MXN small ones pack a punch. I got it on the end of my middle finger around noon, but night it I could feel numbness all the way to the elbow. It took a full month before I regained all the feeling in the tip of the finger. In TX, they're like a wasp sting, hurts for a few minutes and then gone. Unless they take you by surprise (which one did) you normally pick them up by the stinger and flush them or?
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4