Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

roberb7

Jul 10, 2017, 2:09 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3773 views)

Shortcut

Co-housing project in Guanajuato Capital

Can't Post | Private Reply
A message from Jan Copeland:

I'm looking for people interested in creating a small (6-10 person) co-housing project in Guanajuato Capital. I've lived here 20 years and nearing retirement. Built a big house in the mountains overlooking the city, one-story wheelchair-adapted with ramps, etc
Had hoped to have my parents come down and live with me, but they both passed away before I finished the house. So, I love it here and would like to stay till the day I die. But not alone. I have land, I have the communal house. My idea is to have people build their own private duplex/cottages nearby. If you're interested or just curious about co-housing, please read the article "Aging Better Together" by Anne. P. Glass http://www.secondjourney.org/..._Sum/12Sum_Glass.htm for a intro to the concept. Or google elder co-housing. Thanks for reading!

If interested, you can contact Jan at sisteregg ARROBA yahoo PUNTO com

Sunnyvmx

Jul 11, 2017, 5:01 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberb7] Co-housing project in Guanajuato Capital

I live in Riberas close to Ajijic, Jalisco on Lake Chapala. Our "All Inclusive" community consists of a large home divided into apartments of one and two bedrooms with livingroom and kitchen of varying sizes. Four new casitas have been built. The property includes a large covered parking area, pool, hot tub, several patios and a beautiful mirador for residents to enjoy. There is a main dining room that serves two delicious and healthy meals, six days a week. Often we have guests that come just for the meals. There are laundry facilities or you may hire one of the paid staff to wash, fold and iron. The monthly rent includes all utilities, bottled water, housecleaning, cable TV, internet, phones for long distance calls, gardener and maintenance of apartments, pool and hot tub.
Residents must be relatively healthy and independent. Meals are brought to anyone recovering from a medical procedure until they can attend the dining room or take their meals home. Security is a priority and residents are checked on if they fail to appear. A well behaved small dog is allowed and my little pup is loved and well treated by all the staff and residents. I'm fortunate to be strong and healthy at 69 so I have taken on the restoration and creation of the gardens. It's my favorite hobby and I'm thoroughly enjoying working with the gardener.
This living in community gives me the freedom from all worries and tiresome chores necessary when living single and alone. My time can be spent being as social or reclusive as I choose. I no longer start each day with, "What do I have to do today" or "What do I need to do today?" Instead, I simply ask myself "What do I want to do today?"

(This post was edited by Sunnyvmx on Jul 11, 2017, 5:07 AM)

CasaColibri

Jul 11, 2017, 10:57 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunnyvmx] Co-housing project in Guanajuato Capital

Hello Sunny

Sounds like a wonderful living arrangement!. I'm the person who is interested in starting a co-housing project in Guanajuato. While your offering and my proposal share some common points, co-housing operates on distinctly different principles. My model will be based on the many successful co-housing communities in the U.S., which all follow the basic form presented by Charles Durrett in his book "The Senior Co-housing Handbook". I'll post a separate thread on that theme.

Wish you good luck and good living!

Sunnyvmx

Jul 11, 2017, 1:12 PM

Post #4 of 5 (3714 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CasaColibri] Co-housing project in Guanajuato Capital

Hi Jan, yes they are two different concepts and new. People are of the mindset that you live alone and independent in your home until you need care and then move to "assisted living". What you are considering and I am living is the gray area in between. When you say, "living in community" to someone they think commune or religious cult and then assisted living. I found that even living in an apartment bldg. didn't really provide the social contact or peace of mind I was looking for although I had my privacy and independence. I believe the "Villages" in Florida and similar over 55 communities were the beginning of a new idea that became very popular.
I also wish you all the best and anytime you would like to visit, please come.

CasaColibri

Jul 11, 2017, 1:29 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3712 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunnyvmx] Co-housing project in Guanajuato Capital

Thanks, Sunny!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4