Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

JK

Jun 20, 2017, 4:44 PM

Post #1 of 5 (5305 views)

Shortcut

Renewing 3rd year Temp Res

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good Day...

I had to make an unexpected trip home to Canada in regards to a family emergency. My 2nd year RT will expire soon.

Can I attend the Mex Consulate in Ottawa and renew my 3rd year RT or must I return to my local Immigration Office? Thank You in advance...JK

RickS

Jun 20, 2017, 8:11 PM

Post #2 of 5 (5298 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JK] Renewing 3rd year Temp Res

I have heard of no option to renew a Temporal visa outside of Mexico at a Consulate.

Maybe a definitive yes or no will follow from someone....

rvgringo

Jun 21, 2017, 7:08 AM

Post #3 of 5 (5277 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Renewing 3rd year Temp Res

Renewal can only be done at INM in Mexico; at the INM office serving your home area.

roberth

Jun 21, 2017, 9:56 PM

Post #4 of 5 (5257 views)

Shortcut

What I would do is find a trusted, well-reviewed facilitator in your area, and contact them about your situation. It is possible that you being out of the country has been entered in a computer system that your local INM office would reference, and that might through a wrench in the gears. And if not, it will certainly add an expense to the process. But I had to be out of town during my 2-4 year renewal process after my first year in Mexico, and a facilitator in SMA sent me a "power of attorney" document to sign, and then she was able to complete the process for me. Worked out perfectly and was a huge relief.

It's possible that route would work for you, and that would definitely be what I would be looking into if I were in your shoes.

YucaLandia

Jun 23, 2017, 12:20 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5226 views)

Shortcut

For the last 4 years, INM's official policy is to give a 55 day grace period for Residente Temporal visa holders who are outside of Mexico when their RT visa expires.

They can potentially charge the INM visa holder a late penalty, but INM agents also have the discretion to waive the penalty when there are (documented) extenuating circumstances.

Fortunately, your issue has been pretty common since the 2012 INM rule changes, so .... the INM process for renewing RT visas within the 55 day grace period is straightforward ...

Only INM can renew the RT visa, so the visa holder must come back to Mexico to their local INM office.

Also note that if the RT visa holder also has an Aduana TIP on a foreign plated car in Mexico, then Aduana's TIP process can be messy.
https://yucalandia.com/...ing-a-car-in-mexico/

JK ... If you have a Temporary Import Permitted vehicle in Mexico, then by allowing your INM visa to expire, then you have no way to notify Banjercito& Aduana of the INM renewal before their Aduana 2 week TIP grace period expires, and you lose your TIP $$ deposit.

Note that INM rules + INM law's details are well described at the following website (for the past 4 years).
https://yucalandia.com/...d-staying-in-mexico/

Hope it all works out,
steve

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 23, 2017, 12:28 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4