Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

tropicXplorer

Jun 17, 2017, 1:10 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3669 views)

Shortcut

Single Man Moving to Chapala Has Question...

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'll be new to the Chapala-Ajijic area soon, and I was wondering about where to go to make new friends and meet single ladies. What would you recommend as the best places... the Malecon, restaurants, bars? Maybe the LCS or American Legion which I wish to join upon arrival. So many options I'm sure. I'd just like to get started in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help you might offer!

(This post was edited by tropicXplorer on Jun 17, 2017, 1:18 PM)

RickS

Jun 17, 2017, 2:48 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tropicXplorer] Single Man Moving to Chapala Has Question...

You've named several good places. AND, as a single 'new' man moving to Lakeside, the ladies WILL FIND YOU!!!

stevebrtx

Jun 17, 2017, 3:20 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3656 views)

Shortcut

I lived there 7 years single and yes, many ladies, although the gringals are generally older, but each to his own. Just before I left I went to my doctors and he asked if I had a girl friend, I said no, he looked puzzled and asked how I managed that after 7 years? - I said I worked at it and laughed. And no, ladies are my preference, but at this time in my life, that's not a priority, but I do retain the friendship of several American and Canadian ladies, you'll do well.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

tropicXplorer

Jun 17, 2017, 3:20 PM

Post #4 of 11 (3655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Single Man Moving to Chapala Has Question...

Well thank you Rick for the good news. So they WILL FIND ME!!! That almost sounds scary -- but not really, lol. I appreciate the reply.

tropicXplorer

Jun 17, 2017, 3:22 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3653 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Single Man Moving to Chapala Has Question...

Thank you Steve. That's encouraging, although I won't work as hard as you did to stay single! :)

stevebrtx

Jun 17, 2017, 4:36 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3645 views)

Shortcut

I'll pass on to you a bit of sage advice given me when I arrived, just remember if the lady is Mexican and you approach marriage, remember, you're not marrying just her, but her family - and even she has no idea how many that may be. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just a fact you need to consider (but then again, is it any different NOB?)
http://www.chapalaweather.net

tropicXplorer

Jun 18, 2017, 5:56 AM

Post #7 of 11 (3620 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Single Man Moving to Chapala Has Question...

Thank you for that advice. It's a valid observation I'm sure and something most Gringos probably don't realize. Actually it's the same in the Filipino, Thai and Cambodian cultures where I have lived. Even so, I didn't think it would be like that in Mexico so again, thanks for the heads-up Steve.

Gringal

Jun 18, 2017, 9:17 AM

Post #8 of 11 (3608 views)

Shortcut

Hi,
Here's some imput from an old married lady who came as one of a pair some dozen years ago, so I'm pretty objective on the subject:
I don't know your age, but Steve is right that most of the single gals are "older". They outnumber the single guys by several times, so yes, they will find YOU. Re the Mexican ladies: yes, you are marrying a whole extended family, so be aware that their motives for being with you are somewhat "mixed" and if you're financially stable, you're a great catch.

However, you can find as great a variety of datable women as you could wish; all the way from "agreeable but dumb as a post" to those who will be good companions on every level.

The first answer about where to find ladies was pretty comprehensive, but I'll add that by joining an "interest group", you're even more likely to find compatable ones. If you're into photography, there's a large art association called "Ajijic Society of the Arts" which includes everyone interested in the arts from professionals to "appreciators". Notices of montlhy meetings in the local English paper, the Guadalaja Reporter. which comes out on Fridays. There are a number of fine photographers in the group.
Welcome, and good luck!

(This post was edited by Gringal on Jun 18, 2017, 9:30 AM)

tropicXplorer

Jun 18, 2017, 9:35 AM

Post #9 of 11 (3602 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Single Man Moving to Chapala Has Question...

Thank you Gringal. I appreciate your jumping in to help me and offering your insights. The Ajijic society of the Arts sounds most intriguing, especially since there are other photographers among the mix, and yes, I believe that similar interest groups would be fun to join and a GREAT way to meet new friends of both genders. Thank you!

Gringal

Jun 18, 2017, 10:00 AM

Post #10 of 11 (3597 views)

Shortcut

I hope you join us. Meetings are at La Bodega restaurant on 16de Septiembre in central Ajijic. First Monday of the month at 10 am; coffee from 9:30. No meeting in August. Dues 200 pesos yearly. No charge to visit meetings.

The group has several shows at the local Cultural Center in Ajijic. Once a year, there's an "Open Studios" weekend where members can open their work places and homes to the public for personal publicity, plus help with a generous donation to a group sponsoring art education for children. Those who have no regular studios can be hosted by others. Plus.....a couple of yearly parties. What could be better than that?

The photographers are a friendly bunch, willing to share sources. There are some printers in the area that offer to make reproductions of photograpic work in large format, on canvas and other materials at a reasonable price.

If the experience of others in the field is a gauge, you won't make much money but you'll have good experiences!

tropicXplorer

Jun 18, 2017, 10:39 AM

Post #11 of 11 (3594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Single Man Moving to Chapala Has Question...

That was a real high-value reply for me Gringal. I will absolutely join the Art Society when I get there as well as American Legion since I'm a veteran, and I will look forward to meeting many, many others (including you of course). Thank you for this wonderful update and for the details.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4