Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Baja13

May 29, 2017, 11:37 AM

Post #1 of 8 (5675 views)

Shortcut

Entering and exiting with permanent residency

Can't Post | Private Reply
Will be crossing over by car to San Diego through Tijuana and returning on foot through Tijuana. I'm a permanent resident in Mexico and heard you don't have to inform INM when exiting Mexico. When flying I know you have to. Has anyone done this before?

soylent_green

May 30, 2017, 1:05 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja13] Entering and exiting with permanent residency

In Reply To
Will be crossing over by car to San Diego through Tijuana and returning on foot through Tijuana. I'm a permanent resident in Mexico and heard you don't have to inform INM when exiting Mexico. When flying I know you have to. Has anyone done this before?

I'm a permanent resident and I cross 4-6 times a month and have never informed INM on my movements.

They do not ask for immigration status heading southbound by vehicle.

They have started requiring tourists via land to get their FMM tourist cards at the san ysidro crossing. I never cross on foot there, but I believe permanent and temporary residents just show their cards.

At Otay Mesa they are not set up like San Isidro is and don't ask.

A couple months ago I crossed south into the Tijuana Airport at the CBX bridge. Just showed the Mexican INM officer my ID, and good to go.

sparks

May 31, 2017, 7:51 AM

Post #3 of 8 (5593 views)

Shortcut

Can't get a TIP with Permanente

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

RickS

May 31, 2017, 11:47 AM

Post #4 of 8 (5579 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Entering and exiting with permanent residency

A car permit (TIP) is not required in the Baja...

(This post was edited by RickS on May 31, 2017, 11:49 AM)

Baja13

May 31, 2017, 3:56 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5563 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Entering and exiting with permanent residency

A TIP has nothing to do with it. I have a U.S. plated car and will be visiting the U.S. from Mexico. Just wanted to know if land crossers, with Mexican permanent residency, have to inform the INM of their exiting and entering of Mexico like we do at the airports. Looks like no.

Baja13

May 31, 2017, 4:00 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5562 views)

Shortcut

Forgot to mention I live in Baja and have no TIP on my vehicle.

YucaLandia

Jun 1, 2017, 6:34 AM

Post #7 of 8 (5524 views)

Shortcut

The only 2 tweaks I'd offer is whether you might ever want to become a naturalized Mexican citizen ... plus possible tax issues. People who exit Mexico at land crossings without logging out are still recorded when they return to Mexico. Those one-sided records cause problems with proving you have been inside Mexico enough time to qualify for Mexican citizenship (see SRE requirements**), and the big gaps in our exit records can make tax issues very messy if you have Mexican income.

There are times that it can be very advantageous to claim Mexico as your 'tax home' ... and times when it can be very advantageous to claim USA as your 'tax home'. Both Mexico & USA use the # of days inside Mexico (and outside of the USA) per year to determine where your tax home is* ... and to whom you owe taxes.

e.g. Consider how indefinite-incomplete immigration records of when you cross the border affect an effort to prove that you are exempt from paying the $700 US dollars a year in US taxe 'fees' for not having US qualifying health care. (If your MAGI is high, you may also be penalized with additional % US IRS penalties, if you don't have qualifying coverage, and are unable to prove you were outside the USA for nor more than the 35 (or 36) days of the "Physical Presence Test".

*Details on taxes & 'tax home' determinations can be found at:
https://yucalandia.com/answers-to-common-questions/irs-tax-issues-for-americans-living-and-working-abroad-in-mexico-master-article/

**Details on naturalized Mexican Citizenship:
https://yucalandia.com/answers-to-common-questions/new-rules-and-procedures-for-immigration-visiting-and-staying-in-mexico/#Immigration Requirements that Relate to Becoming a Naturalized Citizen

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 1, 2017, 6:45 AM)

Baja13

Jun 13, 2017, 12:28 AM

Post #8 of 8 (5111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Entering and exiting with permanent residency

Thanks Steve! I was just worried more about getting my RP card revoked for not communicating my exits with land crossings with the INM.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4