Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

tfyoung

May 29, 2017, 11:26 AM

Post #1 of 10 (3042 views)

Shortcut

Vehicle Registration vs Title

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are planning a trip to Mexico later this summer. Haven't been in a while so I've been looking at old posts here. I found some really old ones from Rolly that said vehicle registration was sufficient proof of ownership. He said if the registration card didn't include lien holder information you wouldn't need the letter from the lien holder. Is that still correct? I believe the post was from 2004 and I know the whole deal has changed in the last few years

Probably going to cross at Laredo. Never had trouble there in years past, but I'm talking a lot of years. Is it still okay or would you try somewhere else?

RickS

May 29, 2017, 2:09 PM

Post #2 of 10 (3032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] Vehicle Registration vs Title

Couple of things.... relying on 2004 data is questionable so you are smart to inquire.

It sounds like your vehicle has a lien and you are trying to skirt the 'OK letter' for Mexico. But what about your lien holder who may not wanting 'their' vehicle to be taken into Mexico? And don't forget to get Mexican car insurance... available online from many sources.

To the point: yes, a Registration card is still acceptable to Mexico to get a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) ... a title is not required. The name on the Registration card is the only person who may get the TIP. Also, one can get the TIP online and have it delivered to one's home before leaving. Delivered mucho pronto via FedX or DHL etc. This would eliminate any doubt whether you could get one for your vehicle. And actually a tourist card can be obtained online too (but I believe one must still stop at the border to have holy-water passed over it).

Laredo is still a highly used border crossing point for those whose city-of-origin makes that area a desirable choice. Use International Bridge II which is 'straight ahead at the end of I35). Thousands weekly use it so it must be OK... I used it a couple of weeks ago.

Information about getting a TIP: http://www.mexconnect.com/...IP)__Online_P210225/

Online TIP website: https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/# click on Ingles if this doesn't get you there anyway
Part of this online process will send you right away to another site for "Pre-Authorization". One must do this to continue.
There is a mandatory refundable deposit of $400 for your newer car. Credit card (and the name on the card must match the name on the Registration)

Online Tourist Card: https://www.inm.gob.mx/...co/en/solicitud.html

(This post was edited by RickS on May 29, 2017, 2:15 PM)

chicois8

May 29, 2017, 7:26 PM

Post #3 of 10 (3017 views)

Shortcut

One year ( 2014 ) at the 21KM south of Nogales I was getting my TIP and was so proud of myself for having copies of everything until they wanted to see original registration, I had to go back to the car and retrieve it and go back and show Banjercito....I do carry a copy of the title also.....
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Teo

Jun 7, 2017, 1:21 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2793 views)

Shortcut

Don't know if this will help but my wife and I crossed at Nogales last week. Got both FMM and TIP at km 21. For the TIP, they wanted to see the original vehicle registration and kept a copy of vehicle registration. No title necessary although I had a copy of the title just in case. Other copies they wanted are: passport, FMM, driver's license. And of course they want payment for the TIP as well as the vehicle deposit. We used a VISA credit card and charged both the price of the TIP and the vehicle deposit, no problem. In and out in about 30 minutes. Curiously they did not want to see a copy of the declaration sheet for auto insurance. But you can never be too prepared. ;-)

salto_jorge

Sep 4, 2017, 4:30 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1440 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Teo] Vehicle Registration vs Title

If a vehicle deposit was required, did you stay in Sonora ?
Take Care
Salto

Teo

Sep 4, 2017, 7:38 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1427 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] Vehicle Registration vs Title

We drove through Sonora to Sinaloa and Jalisco. Certain parts of Sonora do not require a TIP but, since we were traveling beyond Sonora, we needed the TIP.

chicois8

Sep 5, 2017, 10:09 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1410 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
We drove through Sonora to Sinaloa and Jalisco. Certain parts of Sonora do not require a TIP but, since we were traveling beyond Sonora, we needed the TIP.

You could have picked up a TIP south of Guaymas at the Empalme offices along Highway 15D.............
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Teo

Sep 5, 2017, 10:21 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1409 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Vehicle Registration vs Title

True. But since we needed FMMs, it made sense to just get the TIP at km 21. Wouldn't you need a FMM to drive to Empalme?

Moisheh

Sep 24, 2017, 1:17 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1213 views)

Shortcut

Rolly has updated the above info. At some crossings they are asking for vehicle titles. Not needed at Nogales.

Moisheh

RickS

Sep 24, 2017, 2:00 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1211 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Vehicle Registration vs Title

IF, and that's a big IF, the information on Rolly's site has been updated, it is not being done by Rolly as he passed away a couple of years ago.....

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4