Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

rpond

May 22, 2017, 9:42 AM

Post #1 of 17 (4157 views)

Shortcut

attituide towards Americans

Can't Post | Private Reply
We had visited the area quite awhile ago, 2007. With the election of President Trump, I am wondering what the feeling of the local Mexicans is now towards Americans? Does the Mexican community think we are all of the same mind towards their people as the president? Are Americans becoming the subject of harassment now?
Thanks for any information you can give.

johanson

May 22, 2017, 10:52 AM

Post #2 of 17 (4147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rpond] attituide towards Americans

I said hello to a younger Mexican that I had not seen for maybe 4 years, And he shouted an answer in a very loud voice, "How are you doing , son of Donald Trump. There were only Mexican Nationals who heard it and I answered in Mexican slang Don't BS me dude, and said that he was bad for both Mexico and the US.

Mexicans around me only a few of whom knew me cheered and verbally ran the guy off. Do I really feel that strongly about how bad the President is? NO but I did not want to look like a fool. No I did not vote for President Trump, but he won and he is the President. And we are learning that many of the negative things he said while running for office are not the things that he is doing now. They still do not like him, but they do not fear him as much.

So what I am seeing is a lessening of the fear and/or hatred the Mexicans have for the President and therefore a lessening of anger toward US citizens. I hope someone else will jump in and tell us his/her experiences.

(This post was edited by johanson on May 22, 2017, 10:54 AM)

La Isla

May 22, 2017, 12:27 PM

Post #3 of 17 (4136 views)

Shortcut

I have gotten questions from friends and a few neighbors about what I thought of the election results. When I told them I was appalled (and still am), they agreed with me and that was that! One friend commisserated with me and told me that now I understood how disgusted most Mexicans are with their current president - it was a real bonding experience. :)

DavidHF

May 23, 2017, 11:04 AM

Post #4 of 17 (4097 views)

Shortcut

We have not noticed any outward signs that those of us who live here are being painted with the color of Trumpsters.

stevebrtx

May 23, 2017, 12:51 PM

Post #5 of 17 (4086 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] attituide towards Americans

Come on guys, grow up, elections happen - every 4 years. I know you're all more than old enough to remember the last two previous to this one and did anyone ever bother to ask if any of the millions who voted the for the opponent were upset, or ready to riot, did anyone ever ask foreign govs or people what they thought? - well DID THEY? - we suffered quietly through 8 years of hell and then another election changed things, so why can't a sizable segment of the population accept the (normally) peaceful change in administrations? Why are people so determined to be upset about a naturally occurring event ever 4 years as prescribed by the Constitution. Why go looking for dark clouds, is you life so bleak that's your only task? - really people, nothing to see here, move along.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

RickS

May 23, 2017, 8:22 PM

Post #6 of 17 (4064 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] attituide towards Americans

Well for one thing I don't remember either of the two previous Presidents, Democrat or Republican, being so outwardly hostile towards our friends SOB. The OP, recognizing this, was just asking 'how things are shaking out' based on this observation. Reasonable question IMO.

And just to remind everyone, these forums are not the place for Political debates. The OPs question did not infringe on that rule.

Gringal

May 24, 2017, 7:38 AM

Post #7 of 17 (4030 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] attituide towards Americans

The attitude of Mexicans toward Americans usually depends on the expat's attitude toward Mexicans. I haven't noticed any change, but then, I don't discuss politics with any other than those closest friends who I happen to know are on the same page I am.

IMO, Steve's inflammatory and divisive rant, which didn't even come close to addressing the OP's question, should be deleted.

La Isla

May 24, 2017, 12:40 PM

Post #8 of 17 (4009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] attituide towards Americans

I'm with you, Gringal, regarding both of the points you made in your post!

mattoleriver

May 24, 2017, 6:18 PM

Post #9 of 17 (3993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] attituide towards Americans

In Reply To
Why go looking for dark clouds, is you life so bleak that's your only task?

Oh, the irony!

bronco

May 26, 2017, 1:57 PM

Post #10 of 17 (3894 views)

Shortcut

what exactly IS inflammatory about steves post? who is he slandering? potus walked back deporting illgal workers. he is focusing on gang members, drug dealers, felons, drunk drivers.

stevebrtx

May 26, 2017, 2:14 PM

Post #11 of 17 (3892 views)

Shortcut

Rick, you mean you don't remember previous President's stating they would enforce laws on the books for over 40 years? - is that what you mean? Well, times have changed, much like Mexico, the US is now enforcing it's immigration laws.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

bronco

May 26, 2017, 2:18 PM

Post #12 of 17 (3892 views)

Shortcut

nothing eventful happend on nov. 9th. business as usual, no one said a word. (4 different stores plus a water delivery). i am a trump supporter. my hair person knows this as we had many discussions for the last 2 years. now she agrees w/me, as what ever i said to her turned out to be correct. she wants the illegal gangs out of the US as well for the sake of her family. one close mex friend was aware i voted DT, couldnt care less. the other one never brought it up. the obsession is w/americans, not mexicans here. (& of cause the MSM). drama is what keeps expats going. (steve is right). BTW, illegal border crossings are down 70%. DT lets the patrols do their jobs. drugs have been seized as well. Obama deported 100s of 1000s of people. they came right back many times. even those who had serious police records.

(This post was edited by RickS on May 26, 2017, 3:00 PM)

Gringal

May 26, 2017, 5:05 PM

Post #13 of 17 (3872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] attituide towards Americans

"we suffered quietly through 8 years of hell and then another election changed things, so why can't a sizable segment of the population accept the (normally) peaceful change in administrations? Why are people so determined to be upset about a naturally occurring event ever 4 years as prescribed by the Constitution."

How's that quote for being political? The members are polarized; that, we know. Why stir the pot further?

bronco

May 26, 2017, 5:53 PM

Post #14 of 17 (3869 views)

Shortcut

you said INflammatory. did i respond to the wrong post?

RickS

May 26, 2017, 6:12 PM

Post #15 of 17 (3864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] attituide towards Americans

OK... the OP asked for comments regards Mexican 'attitudes' towards US Citizens in Mexico...or not... since the new President took office.

Any further comments that do not address that directly will be deleted.

bronco

May 26, 2017, 8:28 PM

Post #16 of 17 (3858 views)

Shortcut

most mexicans here are nice. the ones who are grumpy were always grumpy. nothing to do w/politics.

citlali

Jun 5, 2017, 6:14 PM

Post #17 of 17 (3421 views)

Shortcut

I have not noticed any difference..A few Mexicans have commented to me how bad Trump was but they are complaining more about their own president..
The new president is more of a bad joke than anything else right now.. when he starts actualy doing things rather than talking we will see if the Mexicans are more vocal but right now.. no bad feelings from Mexicans..

Most people do not blame Americans for their presidents more than Americans blame Mexicans for theirs. People are smart enough to continue living their life and foregetting about the politicians..

(This post was edited by citlali on Jun 5, 2017, 6:17 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4