Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

kumba830

May 17, 2017, 10:56 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3126 views)

Shortcut

Information on Buying a Car in Guanajuato

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

I am looking to spend either a couple months or a year in Guanajuato and would like to purchase a car when I am there. After my stay I would be leaving the car there at a friends place so I am not worried about bringing it back to the states or storing it.

However, I do need to know what immigration status is currently required in Guanajuato. I have heard many different things ranging from "you need your FMM" to "Your you just need a passport and confirmation that you are staying somewhere in Mexico".

Someone please help me confirm what exactly I need both status wise an paperwork wise.

Sincerely,
Nathan Stark

mcm

May 17, 2017, 12:52 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kumba830] Information on Buying a Car in Guanajuato

Here is a link to the requirements for registering a vehicle in Guanajuato. It doesn't say anything about foreign residents being able to register (or not), but under the frequent questions, it mentions that one of the acceptable forms of identification is an FM2 or FM3 (obviously they haven't updated the information in a while...). This suggests that you would need a Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente status to register a car. Note also that you need to have a comprobante (proof or residence) in your name, or, if not in your name, for the same address shown on the ID.

Bottom line: I suspect that you would need to have residency status (temporary or permanent) to register the car. You might be able to BUY a car without that status, but you couldn't register it in your name. That is the case in my state of Yucatan, as well. Ways to ''get around'' that might include having a trusted friend who is a resident of Guanajuato register it in their name, but that could be risky.

You also need to be sure that you can get insurance for the vehicle that covers YOU.

As I said -- I gleaned this from the state of Guanajuato website, which may or may not be current -- others may have a different idea based on recent personal experience.

kumba830

May 17, 2017, 1:45 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3109 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Information on Buying a Car in Guanajuato

Thank you for your response, another question being if insurance is a required thing in Mexico, as I remembered reading somewhere that it is not.

(This post was edited by kumba830 on May 17, 2017, 2:01 PM)

mcm

May 17, 2017, 2:06 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3104 views)

Shortcut

Insurance requirements are specific to each state, and I don't know about Guanajuato. BUT, if you don't have insurance, you will probably end up in jail until the blame is resolved, even if it's ''not your fault''. And if it is determined to be your fault, you will have to pay in cash to the injured party, and, if there are serious injuries to someone, stay in jail until your case is resolved. MUCH much better to pay for insurance (coverage is not that expensive, unless it includes replacement cost for a pricey car). If you have insurance, you call the company who sends an adjuster to the accident site, and arranges everything -- including legal help for you, if necessary.
Edit: I just did a google search, and it looks like insurance (minimum of coverage for damage to others) is required in Guanajuato. It's also required if you travel on federal highways anywhere in Mexico (federal law).

(This post was edited by mcm on May 17, 2017, 2:10 PM)

RickS

May 17, 2017, 2:26 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3099 views)

Shortcut

Not having car insurance in Mexico could be the biggest mistake one could ever make there. Even if one HAS insurance it is easy to end up in jail for a day or two if involved in an injury accident, even if you were not at fault, and no matter how seemingly small the accident seemed to be. YMMV

kumba830

May 17, 2017, 2:31 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3098 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Information on Buying a Car in Guanajuato

Oh man, definitely noted and glad I asked. I just figured I would ask but I'll be sure to get insured now.

Any hoops you have to jump through getting insured as a temporary resident though?

(This post was edited by kumba830 on May 17, 2017, 2:31 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4