Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Ysecheslingloff

May 17, 2017, 4:48 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4435 views)

Shortcut

Going to Guanajuato, Mex from San Antonio, TX. How safe is it to drive during from 7am as a single f

Can't Post | Private Reply
Driving to San Miguel DE Allende in Guanajuato Mexico from San Antonio, TX . I plan on taking the toll road as I hope it's safer. Can anyone tell me how dangerous or not it is? Or if avoiding toll toads is best. I'm a single female driving alone in a newer vehicle.

dmhaun

May 17, 2017, 5:02 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ysecheslingloff] Going to Guanajuato, Mex from San Antonio, TX. How safe is it to drive during

Be very careful between San Antonio and the border. Once you cross into Mexico, you will be safe.
The Michoacan Net
Supporting the Arts in Michoacan
http://www.LakePatzcuaro.org

RickS

May 17, 2017, 6:37 AM

Post #3 of 7 (4425 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ysecheslingloff] Going to Guanajuato, Mex from San Antonio, TX. How safe is it to drive during

dmhaun's tongue-and-cheek reply is basically 'right on'. Your concerns, although understandable, are without much merit as thousands upon thousands travelers make this trip weekly with no cause for concern. I drive the route often.

Your best route it to, yes, drive the toll roads (cuota) as you will make the best time that way and the route is well signed. If you need some help with the exact route let me know.

With respect to your driving your vehicle, you are aware that you will need to stop at the border (N. Laredo) and get a permit sticker to drive it in Mexico. There is some paperwork that you will need to provide in order to do this. Also, if the car has a loan on it, you will need to have a letter from your lien-holder permitting your to drive "their" car into Mexico. This is often not allowed.
And of course, you will also need to get a Tourist card. Both of these permits/cards are good for up to 180 days upon which time you must remove the car and yourself from Mexico.

Ysecheslingloff

May 17, 2017, 6:51 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4420 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Going to Guanajuato, Mex from San Antonio, TX. How safe is it to drive during

Thank you much. I'm using map quest as my guide. Is this the best way to get directions?

RickS

May 17, 2017, 8:16 AM

Post #5 of 7 (4410 views)

Shortcut

Mapquest is one option, but I much prefer Google Maps.
I looked it up on Mapquest and the route it chose is not the way (later on in the trip) that I would take. It takes you off the 4-lane much too early. I would choose to route myself through San Miguel de Allende first, then over to Guanajuato City.

Ysecheslingloff

May 17, 2017, 10:21 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4403 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Going to Guanajuato, Mex from San Antonio, TX. How safe is it to drive during

Wonderful thank you. Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions but do you know if my cell service or data will work while in Mexico?

RickS

May 17, 2017, 10:47 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4401 views)

Shortcut

It depends on the 'plan' that you have with your carrier in the US... some do, some don't. Call them/go by an office and they can tell you yes-or-no and if 'no' change you to one that will work in Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4