Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

robt65

Apr 4, 2012, 6:17 AM

Post #1 of 16 (20464 views)

Shortcut

Importing a Used Car into Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have searched some of the closely related posts regarding this subject, but I think that maybe some things may have changed since they were written.

I am considering importing my 2008 Tahoe into Queretaro Mexico. Is there a certain Aduana office I need to contact for information such as import taxes or can I just telephone the main office in México City. Is it possible to do this when I am already in Mexico or do I have to go back to a border Aduana Office? Is there a current fixed rate that is used in deciding the amount of import tax?

What about State of Queretaro licenses for the car and yearly taxes. Can anyone tell me how that works in Queretaro?

Thanks for any first hand information that you might have to share.

robt65

YucaLandia

Apr 4, 2012, 6:41 AM

Post #2 of 16 (20448 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Importing a Used Car into Mexico

Morning Robert,
Are you planning to get a Temporary Import Permit or to permanently import it? The duties for permanently importing a vehicle that is less than 8 years old are pretty steep.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

robt65

Apr 4, 2012, 9:01 AM

Post #3 of 16 (20408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Importing a Used Car into Mexico

Hello Steve,

Good point. I didn't know that I could have a choice. What are the differences (other than the obvious -) one being temp and the other perm? How long is a temp permit good for? Are we talking temp permit such as the one I already have, or is it another type / kind of temporary permit?

robt65

YucaLandia

Apr 4, 2012, 10:01 AM

Post #4 of 16 (20392 views)

Shortcut

Advantages and Disadvantages of Permanent Import Permits vs Temporary Import Permits:

With a permanent importation permit:
~ You can sell the car here in Mexico.
~ You can keep the car in Mexico as long as you want, regardless of INM status.
~ Mexican drivers can drive your car, without you (or some other expat) being in the car.
~ You must license the car here, and renew your State registration every year ($$).
~ You may have to pay annual State ownership taxes (tenencias $$) depending on your State’s rules.
~ You can only import 8, 9, or 10 year old NAFTA vehicles for modest import duties.
~ You pay no cash deposit when you bring the car into Mexico.
~ You do not have to go to a (non-airport) Aduana’s office every year to register your new INM permit expiration date.

With a temporary importation permit

~ You cannot sell the car here in Mexico.
~ You can only keep the car in Mexico with current & select types of INM permits.
e.g. If you change from FM2 Rentista to Inmigrado, then you cannot keep the car here on a Temporary Import Permit.
~ Mexican drivers cannot drive your car, without you (or some other expat) being in the car.
~ You do not have to license the car here, and many States do not require that you keep your foreign plates current.
~ You pay no annual State ownership taxes (tenencias $$).
~ You can import just about any car or truck.
~ You have to pay a cash deposit when you bring the car into Mexico the first time.
~ You must go to a (non-airport) Aduana’s office every year to register your new INM permit expiration date.
steve

There are details on this information and a whole lot else at:
http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...ing-a-car-in-mexico/
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 4, 2012, 10:28 AM)

robt65

Apr 4, 2012, 1:09 PM

Post #5 of 16 (20357 views)

Shortcut

Hi Steve,

OK . . . . so basically the temporary one you refer to is the one I currently have.

Thanks for the information

Robert

sandykayak

Apr 6, 2012, 7:42 AM

Post #6 of 16 (20240 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Advantages and Disadvantages of Permanent Import Permits vs Temporary Import Permits:

With a permanent importation permit:
~~ You can only import 8, 9, or 10 year old NAFTA vehicles for modest import duties. I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander whose VIN begins with a J. I read somewhere that this means it was made in Japan and therefore not a NAFTA vehicle. What are my options for a permanent importation permit? tx
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Rolly

Apr 6, 2012, 7:46 AM

Post #7 of 16 (20237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Importing a Used Car into Mexico

None

Rolly Pirate

Sculptari

Apr 7, 2012, 6:35 PM

Post #8 of 16 (20114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Importing a Used Car into Mexico

Can't Post |
Rolly and Steve -how does this ONAPPAFFA thing work? apparently it is real popular near the border, under the guise of a grassroots movement to protect the rights of Mexican nacionales -especially those living near the border. You hire them to nationalize your car, the first thing they do is file an Amparos, so Aduana cannot seize your car while the application process is ongoing. It is good for one year at time, and costs about $37 USD per year, and you get an annual sticker on the back of your car. After 5 or so years, the org might report that your car is ineligible because it is Japanese (let's say), but you get 5 years of driving - and the Mexican police are following this -they do not give expired tag tickets, and are constitutionally barred from an impound.
no longer active on Mexconnect

YucaLandia

Apr 8, 2012, 10:33 AM

Post #9 of 16 (20033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Importing a Used Car into Mexico

Hi Sculptari,
The national President of the ONAPPAFA organization made a filing with the State of Sonora (where this can be a hot issue) on the legality of ONAPPAFA “permits” and problems with them: http://www.congresoson.gob.mx/...OLIO_0106%28R%29.pdf. The ONAPPAFA President officially complains of problems that families have when using the ONAPPAFA programs - causing the car owners legal problems with State and local authorities:

No obstante a lo anterior autoridades locales han girado ordenes de decomisar
vehículos, lo que provoca la ira de propietarios por defender su patrimonioi
dándose enfrentamientos con las diversas autoridades que en la mayoría de
las ocasiones solo buscan extorsionar a los conductores. generándose mas
violencia y repudio de las autoridades de todos los niveles. por que se escudan
diciendo que son instrucciones del gobierno federal.

Sabemos que esta en sus manos dar una solución a este problema.

Google Translate Version:
Notwithstanding the above authorities have given orders to confiscate
vehicles, causing the wrath of owners to defend their patrimonial rights
giving clashes with various authorities in most
chances are just looking to extort money from drivers. generating more
repudiation of violence and authorities at all levels. that are shielded
instructions saying they are the federal government.

We know this in your hands to give a solution to this problem.

So, the ONAPPAFA President reports that people with ONAPPAFA permits (and no Aduana permit) are having their vehicles confiscated, and that these same owners are having clashes with the more than one type of government authorities- This it says to me that using an ONAPPAFA as an ad hoc - (do-it-yourself?) replacement for established legal Government programs

The ONAPPAFA President further officially complains about various extra-legal issues and problems with ONAPPAFA programs conflicting with Mexican Government laws and rules - including the absence of government approval for various aspects of using ONAPPAFA programs in lieu of approved Aduana procedures. The ONAPPAFA President clearly says that there are problems with using the ONAPPAFA permit.

===========================================
Yet more quotations from other ONAPPAFA leaders in other States seem to echo the potential problems of ONAPPAFA's nebulous and extra-legal status. This report comes from Chihuahua http://www.codigodelicias.com/ver.noticia.php?id=7615:

A raíz de las declaraciones del Gobernador sobre un posible censo de autos “chuecos”, el líder estatal de Onapafa, Iván Rodríguez, expresó que la mejor solución sería la importación de vehículos, ya que esto estaría dentro de la legalidad.

Dicho censo vehicular no eximiría a los propietarios de un decomiso, ya que los vehículos seguirán siendo irregulares, ya que no tendrán ninguna seguridad jurídica, por lo que Onappafa cree que promoviendo caminos legales, como lo sería la importación de automóviles que portaran placas oficiales, comentó Iván Rodríguez.

Google Translate Version:
After
statements by the Governor about a possible census of "crooked" (illegal ONAPPAFA) cars, the State's Onapafa leader, Ivan Rodriguez, said the best solution would be to import vehicles, as this would be within the law.

This census does not exempt vehicle owners of forfeiture, as the vehicles continue to be irregular, because they will have no legal certainty, so Onappafa believes that promoting legal ways, as would be the import of cars that were carrying official license plates, Ivan Rodriguez said.

Here again, a leader of ONAPPAFA confirms the illegal status of cars imported without paying Aduana duties and without getting an Aduana permit, and he even advises that ONAPAFFA owners best solution is to import the vehicles within the law.

I am no legal expert, nor do I claim expertise in ONAPPAFA permit usage nor do I have any experience with ONAPPAFA permits. Based on my personal perceptions, the ONAPPAFA program is an extra-legal program that may be tolerated by some Mexican authorities - because it appears the common people supporting ONAPPAFA threaten to make a "big stink" and get the Mexican government authorities to temporarily back off. This sounds like the risks of an outsider getting involved in an internal squabble between close family members.

ONAPPAFA clearly is a program designed to help common (poor) Mexicans who cannot afford Aduana's official import fees. When "supposedly rich" gringo expats try to take advantage of an extra-legal program designed to help poor Mexicans, will the expats be given the same public protection when authorities choose to enforce the law?

Will groups of campesinos show up to protest the confiscation of a Canadian's car or an American's car?

Lots of people break laws and never get caught or are not prosecuted - but I think it makes life simpler and less stressful to follow the laws vs. trying to save a few $$ trying an extra-legal, non-government ad hoc program. e.g. Some people in the US go for years without paying taxes to the IRs, and are only caught after a decade of using some extra-legal excuse that income taxes are not Constitutional. Instead, I tend to be a cautious law-abiding guy - paying the fees and taxes that are clearly legal.

Maybe the amparo (like a legal injunction) provides protection. lo no se...
Can amparos be waived aside with the stroke of a bureaucrat's or judge's pen?
Can you comfortably live with the possible outcome of losing the car?

To each his own,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 8, 2012, 12:44 PM)

careyeroslib

Apr 8, 2012, 11:50 AM

Post #10 of 16 (19933 views)

Shortcut

We see lots of ONAPPAFFA stickers in Puerto Vallarta and area, mostly on cars driven by Mexicans. A few expats have gone to the local office and got the sticker too. Everybody knows it´s ambiguous and non-official but nobody seems to care I saw an old Japanese built SUV with one on it the other day.

I´m not defending the practice, but I think most people would rather take a chance on it and have something to drive. Most of the cars I see with these stickers have very little econonic value. I doubt Transito or Aduana average guys know what it really means either making it a better bet than driving a foreign plated car.

Sculptari

Apr 9, 2012, 10:20 AM

Post #11 of 16 (19829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Importing a Used Car into Mexico

Can't Post |
Puerto Vallarta is a little bit different because they have invoked their own transito laws which, contrary to State and Federal Laws, allow ticketing foreign plated cars with expired stickers. I believe they have not ticketed anyone for years, however. I have proof of current registration ($20 US), plus Mexican insurance. I think ONAPAFFA stickers would be a good deterrent in a society crazy for stickers, stamps and important looking seals ($37 US per year). My truck has so many important looking stickers (English, Spanish and Kanji) that it would be a bureaucrat's dream ride!

careyeroslib

Apr 10, 2012, 2:37 PM

Post #12 of 16 (19718 views)

Shortcut

Sculptari. I agree We have lots of stickers as well. Very intimidating!

First with respect to the supposed Vallarta Transito law for confisticating cars with expired registration, I have only heard of that supposed law on ex-pat Forums. Even if it is on some books somewhere, I have never of an actual living case of that being done in practice. This is in more than 10 years (and those that have been reported have usually had extenuating circumstances such as expired FMM documents. Even then they have only been warned). We have a car with expired registration and have been stopped from time to time over the years by Vallarta Transito and no one has ever even asked for our registration info. On a scale of 1 to 10 of my most feared potential disasters, having my vehicle confiscated by Aduana isn´t even on the list.

Btw, I just saw an old Japanese vehicle (1995 or 1996) with an ONAPPAFFA sticker on it within the last two weeks in Puerto Vallarta. Will Aduana confiscate it, or any of the other ONAPPAFFA plated cars? I highly doubt it.

Rolly

Apr 10, 2012, 3:12 PM

Post #13 of 16 (19707 views)

Shortcut

Re: Used cars and ONAPPAFFA

I asked my Mexican friend if he knew about ONAPPAFFA. He said both his chocolates are registered with them.
I asked if that made them legal. He just shrugged and said "As long as I don't go near the border."

Rolly Pirate

barmarr

Apr 10, 2012, 9:02 PM

Post #14 of 16 (19656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Importing a Used Car into Mexico

Just attended an information meeting in Puerto Vallarta regarding new vehicle rules....

You can only convert your U.S./CA plated car into a Mexican plated car when it is 8 or 9 years old. If you wait until it is 10 years old it will be too late!

You can contact Aduana Mexico (in Mexico City) by calling:

in Mexico 01-800-463-6728
in U.S. or Canada 1-877-448-8728
Select options 7.2.2

OR
CIITEV_AduanaMexico@sat.gob.mx

Hope this helps.

(This post was edited by barmarr on Apr 10, 2012, 9:14 PM)

Sculptari

Apr 11, 2012, 6:24 AM

Post #15 of 16 (19626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barmarr] Importing a Used Car into Mexico

Can't Post |
Some cars are 'invisible' in Mexico. I don't mean the real beaters - the government is serious about getting rid of those, especially the smoke belchers. A lot of things don't make sense - a Ferrari convertible and a Maserati Quaddrocoupe parked outside our place last Saturday, both driven by under 25 year old Mexicans. Federales stopped them upon leaving and immediately let them go. They are, of course, rumored to be drug dealers - now what kind of drug dealer would tool around in a car which has a base price of $126,000 US?

The attraction of the early 90's Diesel SUVs from Japan is that they are true offroad vehicles, with all steel bodies, tough little turbo diesels, with low miles (mine is a 1991 with 50,000 miles). They are also popular with the 'green' movement because they can burn used cooking oil. They have no spark plugs so they are also good in the water/mud. It will probably still be in good running condition in 2020 when I can import it as a 'classic' with no duty or taxes.

DavidHagen

May 9, 2017, 4:15 AM

Post #16 of 16 (9015 views)

Shortcut

Hi there! Importing a used car into Mexico can be performed on a temporary or permanent basis. However, consider having important documents, since the rules for importing always change. Moreover, be careful on the road.

(This post was edited by RickS on May 9, 2017, 8:30 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4