Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

persia

Mar 31, 2017, 11:46 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5557 views)

Shortcut

Planning on retiring in area what about RIBERAS DEL PILAR

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi two seniors looking to retire what in your opinion is the best area. all comments welcome. we are going to rent how far is Riberas del Pilar from AJIJIC is it safe. I know it is out a bit should we be concerned about snakes in the area, scorpians other wild animals. All input would be appreciated thank you

RickS

Mar 31, 2017, 12:28 PM

Post #2 of 7 (5549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [persia] Planning on retiring in area what about RIBERAS DEL PILAR

Riberas is east of Ajijic (proper) but one cannot really tell when one leave one place and enters another. From Ajijic east is La Floresta, then San Antonio, then Mirasol then Riberas... then some open space, then Chapala. Buses travel the route 'constantly'.

Riberas is on both sides of the carretera (highway) but most of the homes are in lower Riberas between the highway and the lake. I have never heard of any report of snakes but maybe there are a few. Scorpions are probably in all locations but are hardly a cause for concern.... if you find a few, just spray. Usually cleaning floors with a disinfectant kills them. Some houses have none, some have some. Don't fret about them. No wild animals to be concerned about (except wild retired people!).

Riberas is probably no safer nor less safe than any other location along the north shore of Lake Chapala. There is from time to time petty theft/burglary of the the home. Most homes have bars on windows (common in Mexico) and people keep their doors locked when they leave and at night. Crimes against the person are rare but do happen from time to time.

stevebrtx

Mar 31, 2017, 3:05 PM

Post #3 of 7 (5543 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Planning on retiring in area what about RIBERAS DEL PILAR

I lived there 7 years and loved it, wouldn't live any other place, it's far enough from both Chapala and Ajijic to not have the noise of cohetes, carnivals etc. Like all places it has it's challenges. The weather station is still there just S of Mirasol. I saw one snake skin, no snake and did get hit by a little scorpion on the end of my middle finger, I felt numbness all the way to the elbow, it took nearly a month for the finger to be completely free of the sensation. The small ones are the worst, we have them here in TX, but they're nothing like the small MXN ones.

Here's a slide show of the house I rented, the owners have returned so it's no longer on the rental market, but there are others that are nice and secure. https://www.flickr.com/...57623423091761/show/ Upper Chula Vista is nice also and again mid area.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

(This post was edited by RickS on Mar 31, 2017, 3:32 PM)

playaboy

Apr 1, 2017, 6:35 AM

Post #4 of 7 (5513 views)

Shortcut

Have you spent any time around Lake Chapala?

persia

Apr 1, 2017, 6:54 AM

Post #5 of 7 (5509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Planning on retiring in area what about RIBERAS DEL PILAR

THANKS for the info we plan on coming to visit Dec 15 to to Jan 15 of this year your house is lovely how much were you paying to rent it for the length of time, how long and where did you find the listing thanks you can private message me the rent thanks Persia

Gringal

Apr 1, 2017, 7:48 AM

Post #6 of 7 (5500 views)

Shortcut

There isn't a thing to worry about, but you need to just come and look the area over in person. It's all quite civilized, from the city of Chapala all the way west to Jocotepec. A lot depends on what you're looking for: action as opposed to quietude.
Welcome and good luck!

DavidHF

Apr 1, 2017, 7:33 PM

Post #7 of 7 (5466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Planning on retiring in area what about RIBERAS DEL PILAR

There are more options for living here than any place I've ever been! You will be amazed at the range of choices!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4