Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

scott000

Mar 18, 2017, 11:23 PM

Post #1 of 5 (6846 views)

Shortcut

First Post New To Forum

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello there, I am very thankful to have found this site. I am very interested in visiting Mexico, but I don't speak spanish and I don't know anyone from Mexico. I am interested in checking out medical centers, hospitals, and treatment centers for my mother who has health issues and is looking for different treatment options and opinions from nurses, health care workers, and people in the health care field.

I've watched a lot of health care videos and read articles on the quality, helpfulness, and difference in the type and quality of care that Mexico offers. My Mom is a great Mom, she's sweet, kind, and caring and I want to help her get the care she deserves, which I believe is in Mexico. My Mom and I live in the US in a very small town in which there is no community so things are very rough in all areas of our life.

I'm hoping to find websites and people who would be willing to chat, email, or talk on the phone about how I can get in touch with someone that I could get information from or who I could hire as a guide if I am able to visit Mexico, and who could show me around in person.

Thank you,
Jscott

chicois8

Mar 19, 2017, 8:47 AM

Post #2 of 5 (6827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [scott000] First Post New To Forum

Welcome to the board. the 2 largest ex-pat communities in Mexico seem to be around Lake Chapala and San Miguel de Allende and as the population gets older nursing homes and care centers follow. I would concentrate looking in those areas for care givers, unless you are looking for a clinic to cure some specific illness, then they advertise themselves......good luck
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Gringal

Mar 19, 2017, 10:12 AM

Post #3 of 5 (6820 views)

Shortcut

I second the suggestion of the previous poster. The Lake Chapala area, where I live, has a number of medical professionals available, and about an hour away in Guadalajara, there are excellent hospitals. There are also convalescent homes and nursing homes as well as many private residences for sale or rent in areas with walking distance to stores. The local Lake Chapala Society offers periodic Spanish classes, and there is usually at least one person in facilities who speaks English.
It's a friendly community for newcomers, and there is no problem finding activities for every interest.

One cautionary note: If your mom is on Social Security Medicare, it does not cover regular treatment in Mexico and if she stays, she would have to either buy private insurance here or sign up with one of the national programs. One of them does not cover pre-existing conditions; the other does, within limits. The private insurance has age limits for most policies. As you may have heard, costs are far lower than in the U.S. and many people just pay out of pocket for doctor visits.

The first step would be coming on a 180 day temporary visa and if she decides to stay, that would require applying for a resident visa. You can get the information on this from the web or at a Mexican consulate, if any are near you.
Good luck!

RickS

Mar 19, 2017, 12:51 PM

Post #4 of 5 (6808 views)

Shortcut

Ditto what the above two say.... also, in the Lake Chapala area there are people who can meet your 'guide' comment, both for the Lake Chapala area and up to the Guadalajara area if you so chose... English of course.

Speaking of Guadalajara, their International airport is only a 30 minute drive from the Lake Chapala are, between Guadalajara centro and Lake Chapala. Taxis and and other means of transportation are readily available between the two.

To your comment about 'community life'..... one of the great things about being Lakeside is that, depending on one's desire, there are great Quality of Life opportunities far and above that which one might would expect from the size of the community there. That and the wonderful climate make Lakeside a wonderful place to 'spend the remaining years'. Having 'world class' medical services just a stone's throw away makes it work very well for the ageing.

(This post was edited by RickS on Mar 19, 2017, 1:00 PM)

scott000

Aug 29, 2017, 10:00 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] First Post New To Forum

Ok, so due to my Mom's issues, life events, and the stress that I've been dealing with in about every area of my life, I have finally made it back to the forum.

First of all, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to my post with all of your helpful suggestions and advice. I really wish my life circumstances were different and that things weren't so hard on my Mom and I. Yet, I am going to continue to stay strong and hopefully visit Mexico when my busy life is less busy and when I come in get to know people who are already living in Mexico so it's an easier experience.

thank you,
Scott000

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4