Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

jreboll

Mar 18, 2017, 5:47 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3169 views)

Shortcut

Cut the chord

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anyone here cut the television service and just go with internet service to get movies and use an external antenna to get local TV? What did you use, Roku, Apple TV? What are the costs and speeds?

johanson / Moderator

Mar 19, 2017, 7:02 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3152 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Cut the chord

Quite a few people have experimented with cutting the cord. However there are several problems you must overcome. In some areas the fastest internet available is less than 5 Mbpsec down and as a result streaming becomes difficult. Another issue is that we are not in the US and unless you speak Spanish you will find the Mexican Netflix etc will not have sufficient programming to satisfy you.
That said there are some areas in Mexico with very good internet. And there are ways to hide the fact that you are not in the US or Canada or England or etc and make your provider think you are in the correct country. (VPN etc)
So yes under the right conditions, it can be done and those doing same can be very satisfied.
Me, I have a Smart TV which allows me to do same and almost fast enough internet to stream programming live.
However because my internet isn't quite fast enough and I want to watch my Seattle and Vancouver stations, and Fox and CNN live, I find satellite TV to be the best solution.

jreboll

Mar 19, 2017, 7:12 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3149 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Cut the chord

Thanks for your reply. I cut the chord at my home in Texas and have been quite satisfied with the programming I get. However, I see that the situation in Mexico does not lend itself to doing that

johanson / Moderator

Mar 19, 2017, 7:17 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Cut the chord

I did not mean to scare you off. Remember, in some areas of Mexico, one has fast internet service and some technically savvy folks using the appropriate software to hide their location have been able to successfully cut or partially cut the cord.

hodamayo

Mar 19, 2017, 7:41 AM

Post #5 of 5 (3140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Cut the chord

Morning everyone,

I do streaming boxes as well US Dish Network here in Mexico. I had to join the bandwagon to face my competition and yes we do have fast internet in most areas n the state of Quintana Roo. I use Android boxes that need at least 5 mb download to operate efficiently. You can use KODI and get just about anything you like but we add an Emulator to the box that gives you and EPG that carries US Dish, Shaw, Dish Latino and Sky as well as first run movies. No need to use a VPN and we like to hook up directly to the LAN as opposed to wireless. Contact me if you like more information on US Dish Network or Streaming boxes.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4