Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

GodsGiftToMexico

Mar 13, 2017, 1:31 AM

Post #1 of 3 (6482 views)

Shortcut

Is it legal to drive a Chevrolet Express Cargo Van in Baja ...

Can't Post | Private Reply
... with a California class C driver's license ? "Class C" means simple passenger vehicle driver's license.

A Google search shows the Gross vehicle weight rating to be 7,300 to 9,600 lbs. So, it's most likely above the GVWR threshold to qualify for a TIP, but I don't need a TIP for it.

A second question: is it possible to import that vehicle into Mexico ? It was manufactured in the US, and the VIN number starts with a '1'. Or is it too heavy for that ?

GGTM
-----------------------------------------------
God's Gift To Mexico
http://PuntaBanda.org

RickS

Mar 13, 2017, 10:29 AM

Post #2 of 3 (6465 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GodsGiftToMexico] Is it legal to drive a Chevrolet Express Cargo Van in Baja ...

As you suggested, one doesn't need a TIP for Baja but.... I had that same exact vehicle with a TIP in mainland Mexico.

Can't help you with the Import question ... only know that you couldn't if it were a diesel (but I don't think it came with a diesel anyway!).

Try contacting a bonded agent at some border. Google it.

fred92

Apr 27, 2017, 1:48 AM

Post #3 of 3 (4541 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GodsGiftToMexico] Is it legal to drive a Chevrolet Express Cargo Van in Baja ...

I wouldn't worry much about the restriction but different case if ever involved in an accident. Share what you found out about the importation.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4