Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Baja13

Mar 7, 2017, 5:56 PM

Post #1 of 6 (8893 views)

Shortcut

Car importation to Baja "fronterizo"

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm not really up to date on the current importation of a vehicle or even know if it's possible. I live in Baja Sur and I'm thinking of buying a Toyota up in the states soon, though I don't have one picked out yet. Does anyone have current information on which years would qualify for a "placa Fronteriza?" I know "J" cars can't be imported. I'm a permanent resident. Thanks!

bigriver

Mar 7, 2017, 8:42 PM

Post #2 of 6 (8881 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja13] Car importation to Baja "fronterizo"

Baja offers more lenient options - placa Fronteriza - but, these options come with restrictions and limitations if the vehicle is driven mainland. Be particularly cautious when purchasing NOB to ensure it is a NAFTA vehicle and meets all guidelines.

My understanding is older than 5 years/newer than 10 are eligible but definitely consult & confirm with multiple brokers. Demand exact info and compare pricing. Quoted Import cost can vary significantly from one customs broker to another.

rvgringo

Mar 8, 2017, 11:50 AM

Post #3 of 6 (8847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja13] Car importation to Baja "fronterizo"

If you are Residente Permanente, why not simply buy your new car in Mexico, in the state where you live. No more problems & you can drive it into the USA without hassle, etc.

bigriver

Mar 8, 2017, 8:06 PM

Post #4 of 6 (8826 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Car importation to Baja "fronterizo"

If purchasing new then it is not much of an issue. Purchasing used? NOB offers higher standards, more discernable quality, and much greater inventory.

playaboy

Mar 9, 2017, 5:08 AM

Post #5 of 6 (8819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bigriver] Car importation to Baja "fronterizo"

Good advice. Sounds like you have done this before.

Bigriver, if a car has been legally imported as a "fronterizo", what happens if the owner wants to move to another State in the interior of Mexico? Is there a process to take the car to their new home? Can a fronterizo vehicle go from Baja to QRoo legally?

(This post was edited by playaboy on Mar 9, 2017, 5:10 AM)

bigriver

Mar 9, 2017, 8:32 PM

Post #6 of 6 (8780 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Car importation to Baja "fronterizo"

I have only imported vehicles over the years into the mainland, through Nogales. My understanding is that any vehicle imported into Baja only via "border plates" is categorised as any other foreign vehicle entering the mainland and must satisfy similar import regs.

Again, I stress the need to contact a competent honest broker, which likely will necessitate multiple contacts.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4