Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ScubaBride2

Feb 16, 2017, 4:42 PM

Post #1 of 4 (8938 views)

Shortcut

Can I pay with check

Can't Post | Private Reply
My lease has these words in it. Tercera la arrendataria pagara por concepts de renta mensual al arrendador, la cantidad de cinco mil quinientos pesos monetary national, Durante todo el tiempo que sure el presente contrato.

I rented my place 19 months ago when this lady's ex BF was managing it. I often paid by check from my Mexican Bank with no problem. This women moved back here from the states into the downstairs apartment and even though her mother is the owner, I now pay her. I have been paying her cash but she refused to give me a receipt and for the past month I have had many problems with her. I wrote a check on my Mexican bank for xxxxx monetary national but she refuses to accept it and demands cash. I spoke with a lawyer and he said to offer it again with a witness and if refused to keep check and to leave that money in the bank.

Not that I do not believe him, but there is a lot of experience on the board here so I thought I would also ask here.

Gatos

Feb 17, 2017, 10:18 AM

Post #2 of 4 (8893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ScubaBride2] Can I pay with check

Can't Post |
We pay a lot of things within Mexico using Interbank SPEI - kind of like a Mexican version of BillPay.

rvgringo

Feb 18, 2017, 8:53 AM

Post #3 of 4 (8845 views)

Shortcut

“Those words“ do state that you will pay in the national currency. They do not specify a place or method, such as “efectivo“ (cash). That said; many folks have no bank account and cash is still king in Mexico. It is also common for landlords to be part of the underground economy, with no tax records, receipts, etc., etc. So, for practical purposes, you may be better off paying in cash, as requested, if you want to continue your happy existence. Of course, you should be dealing with the owner and getting a receipt.....but ???????
You can force the issue, but you may be asking for more trouble than you might expect.

(This post was edited by rvgringo on Feb 18, 2017, 8:57 AM)

YucaLandia

Feb 19, 2017, 12:06 PM

Post #4 of 4 (8791 views)

Shortcut

Since check fraud costs us just under $50 billion a year, it makes sense some landlords don't want checks.

Is there a reason to not pay in MXN pesos ?
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4