Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

DelawareBoy

Feb 2, 2017, 12:50 PM

Post #1 of 15 (10311 views)

Shortcut

Documents for Visa Application - Credit Card Statements???

Can't Post | Private Reply
According to directions on their website, the Philadelphia consulate location requires "all international credit card statements" as part of the financial solvency information for a nonworking residence visa application. Although I have not done a complete search, I did not find this requirement listed on the pages for other consulate locations, nor on the websites of various law firms and visa assistance businesses. At the same time, I did learn that apparently different Mexican consulates evaluate income differently in terms of what qualifies (some are said to go on social security/pension income only, ignoring investment portfolios, etc.). Has anyone here had experience of inconsistent requirements for documentation or of being required to provide credit card statements? Frankly, I do not wish to have to supply credit card statements for a visa application.

sparks

Feb 3, 2017, 9:04 AM

Post #2 of 15 (10270 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DelawareBoy] Documents for Visa Application - Credit Card Statements???

Never heard of credit card records .... and what if you don't have one. ATM records are my bank records

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

YucaLandia

Feb 4, 2017, 6:31 AM

Post #3 of 15 (10224 views)

Shortcut

It's a decades long quirk of Mexican law.

The official Ley governing SRE (Consulates) and and the official ley governing INM (Immigration) both have similar clauses:

~ Proof of Personal Fiscal Solvency Requirements (see link below)

and also

~ The decades long allowance for local Consulates & local INM offices to add their own ~additional~ (quirky) requirements. **

~ The decades long allowance for local Consulates & local INM offices to delete some of the DOF published requirements.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

**These decades of locally-added oft-quirky additional requirements are generally not included in the official Leyes published in the DOF - but the local offices ~ Consulates have full rights to add & enforce them.

And yes, you can challenge the local Consulate (or local INM office) ... and yes, it does help to be able to quote the Federal Law (Ley) as published in the DOF. but it's up to that clerk in front of you whether they accept your proposal ... or whether they choose to 'stick to their guns'.

You can find details, descriptions & direct DOF references on these things at:

https://yucalandia.com/...d-staying-in-mexico/

and

https://yucalandia.com/... Temporary Residency

and

https://yucalandia.com/...Residency Applicants

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Feb 4, 2017, 6:50 AM)

YucaLandia

Feb 4, 2017, 6:46 AM

Post #4 of 15 (10220 views)

Shortcut

A few practical notes about challenging the Philly Consulate's official policy:
Note 1: It is often easier to just find a Consulate that is helpful & friendly ... San Antonio, Phoenix, Portland, Chicago, & Miami are nice ... Philly, Boston,San Francisco & DC have histories of being nasty and difficult.

Note 1: NONE of us know the effects of the current Trump threats to send US troops into Mexico ... and how that will affect things & attitudes at Mexican Consulates across the USA ... ??

*sigh*

Note 3: the US White House has now backed away from their prior claims, and the US White House has now officially confirmed that the official White House recordings of the phone call between Trump & EPN document: Trump clearly insulted the Mexican Military & police as being 'scared" ... and that Donald clearly stated that he would possibly send in US troops to deal with "the really bad hombres" ...

Note 4: In the context of some US consulates in Mexico recently removing the "Visa" (application) buttons from their Consular websites... and in the context of US Consulates recently removing the "Make an Appointment" buttons from their Consular websites ...

Do any of us know where this is headed ... and how it will affect both Mexicans trying to visit USA ... and how it will affect USA-nians trying to come to Mexico ??

So, as always, being very polite ... and very respectful ... are very important when dealing with Mexican govt. officials & clerks, because each and all of them each hold a surprising amount of broad discretionary powers ... to approve ... deny ... or even boot us out...**

In troubling times ... Be happy ... know reality ... and do your best to do things well,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Feb 4, 2017, 6:52 AM)

DelawareBoy

Feb 4, 2017, 7:12 AM

Post #5 of 15 (10212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Documents for Visa Application - Credit Card Statements???

Thanks very much YucaLandia, that's quite helpful, especially your insight into more helpful and receptive consulates. I too am worried about waiting very long to apply for a residence permit, given the high degree of tension that the Trump administration is stirring up. At the same time, it is exactly the Trump regime that is causing my spouse and I to pursue immigration at this particular juncture, and we perceive that in our particular circumstances Mexico has more to offer than other retirement havens in Latin America, besides which I greatly admire Mexico's history and culture, and view it as a truly great and inspiring country.

YucaLandia

Feb 4, 2017, 8:16 AM

Post #6 of 15 (10207 views)

Shortcut

.**Final Disclaimers:

~ Know your rights. .. When inside Mexico, know your legal & Constitutional rights ... and more importantly....know what you cannot ~ should not do...

Readers who want details can check out:

https://yucalandia.com/...rs-rights-in-mexico/

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

DelawareBoy

Feb 4, 2017, 9:46 AM

Post #7 of 15 (10194 views)

Shortcut

Very interesting. We were in Ciudad de México to escape the immediate news cycle of the Trump inauguration and by accident ran into the Women's March on the Saturday immediately following the inauguration. There certainly appeared to be participants who were North Americans and most likely not Mexican citizens (though I can't know their citizenship for sure). As the demonstration and march were centered on the Angel de Independencia monument in the Paseo de la Reforma, which I had wanted to visit and see the crypt, we continued up to the monument untroubled and were able to enter the crypt. There were police around, but not giving either the marchers/demonstrators any problems that I could see, nor giving us or other North Americans who were visiting the monument any difficulty. I will not generalize from that experience and it may have been an extraordinary situation (and perhaps foreigners were unmolested because it was an anti-Trump rally), but I just pass it along as a single recent experience. I do also know that in San Miguel de Allende the expat community had a demonstration to express solidarity with the Mexican people following the election of Trump, shortly before we visited San Miguel prior to this past Christmas, and I have no indication that that demonstration caused any troubles with the authorities.

sparks

Feb 4, 2017, 10:20 AM

Post #8 of 15 (10190 views)

Shortcut

If you got that Credit Card stuff from a web site .... you may contact the Consulate directly. Many of those web sites are seldom updated

DelawareBoy

Feb 4, 2017, 1:59 PM

Post #9 of 15 (10176 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Documents for Visa Application - Credit Card Statements???

It is on the website of the consulate in Philadelphia. I'm unsure how to broach the topic without raising suspicions,although there are some other issues we would ideally need to get clarification on. For instance, my paper Merrill Lynch investment statements each month were devouring all the closet space in our home office room, so I switched to electronic delivery (I never actually download them), as I can look at my accounts anytime and can always talk to my FA. So I'd need to find out from Philly or any other consulate what form of acct statements they would accept. So the credit card statements question could be one in a list of questions needing clarification. We keep up on our payments and pay more than the minimum amounts, but we have enough unsecured debt that I really don't want the credit card debt to become an issue.

RickS

Feb 4, 2017, 2:12 PM

Post #10 of 15 (10174 views)

Shortcut

Many (most?) folks these days do their statements electronically. BUT the actual statement is also on the website and can be loaded to a .pdf file and printed out at will. That's how mine works anyway. Does not Merrill Lynch provide this capability?

sparks

Feb 5, 2017, 7:31 AM

Post #11 of 15 (10147 views)

Shortcut

I got my first Visa in Mexico so never dealt with a Consulate. All my proof of income came from online printouts

jeffie1

Feb 6, 2017, 8:44 AM

Post #12 of 15 (10113 views)

Shortcut

I can only speak of my own experiences......so I'd nix San Antonio as a friendly consulate. I understand Laredo is still friendly however, getting them to answer emails seems to be frustrating. Good luck!

Willazilla

Feb 6, 2017, 9:25 AM

Post #13 of 15 (10108 views)

Shortcut

I just went through the application process in Laredo, Texas. The consulate staff followed the rules (photo, passport and portfolio of investment in my case), and applied them broadly. They granted my application. They were very kind. While no one there explicitly stated as much, I believe that there is sympathy in Mexico for the majority of Americans who do not see the new man in the White House as our legitimate President. They know that we've been sucker punched, and their culture is such that they don't want to add to that pain.

DelawareBoy

Feb 6, 2017, 1:50 PM

Post #14 of 15 (10087 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Willazilla] Documents for Visa Application - Credit Card Statements???

Encouraging to hear, Willazilla. Jeffie1, I had looked at the website for the San Antonio consulate and noted that any inquiries regarding residence permits had to be directed to a couple of email addresse. There wasn't even any info about the basic requirements for applications, so it certainly wasn't a user friendly websitein any case. Didn't make me feel I'd like to use SA, which is unfortunate because we lived in Austin for years and could hang out there while things were getting processed in SA (although we also have friends in SA). I'd just like to find a consulate on the East Coast that I could have confidence would treat us sympathetically.

jeffie1

Feb 6, 2017, 4:26 PM

Post #15 of 15 (10071 views)

Shortcut

The SA Consulate was very strict in their interpretation of income requirements and it would take a week or so for them to process and complete the paperwork. In Laredo, we showed up with the required passports, bank Statements etc. and were in and out in less then 3 hours with everything needed to cross. Plus, they are only a couple blocks from the bridge.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4