Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Mexicanbill

Jan 30, 2017, 1:25 PM

Post #1 of 12 (9898 views)

Shortcut

USA Income tax returns

Can't Post | Private Reply
I would like to file our taxes without leaving Puerto Vallarta this year. Does anyone know of a good reasonable tax accountant in the Puerto Vallarta area that handles USA Taxes or am I better off buying an online tax program and doing them myself?
Chef William aka MexicanBill

rvgringo

Jan 30, 2017, 2:47 PM

Post #2 of 12 (9894 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] USA Income tax returns

Turbotax Online was always our solution. It is very easy; just answer the questions and enter the amounts in response to their prompts. It knows all the rules, etc., and you need only have your documents at hand; 1099s, etc. Your return is filed online; piece of cake.

Mexicanbill

Feb 1, 2017, 6:23 AM

Post #3 of 12 (9843 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] USA Income tax returns

Thanks, I was thinking about trying them but not sure how good they were. I hate spending the air fair to fly to the states just to file a return, with the cost of air fare between now and mid-April.

sparks

Feb 1, 2017, 8:05 AM

Post #4 of 12 (9835 views)

Shortcut

I used TaxAct for three years free (recommended on te IRS site} with no problems. Last year they somehow left out two of my incomes. I had to DHL everything to the Texas IRS office later. Recheck everything before submitting thru a site

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

rvgringo

Feb 1, 2017, 8:23 AM

Post #5 of 12 (9829 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks, I was thinking about trying them but not sure how good they were. I hate spending the air fair to fly to the states just to file a return, with the cost of air fare between now and mid-April.

RickS

Feb 1, 2017, 8:24 AM

Post #6 of 12 (9829 views)

Shortcut

I've used H&R Block with a CD and online (slightly different program) for 10+ years with great success. Free submit. The Delux version.

rvgringo

Feb 1, 2017, 9:21 AM

Post #7 of 12 (9828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] USA Income tax returns

The reply with quote system seems to be acting up. My reply was not included under the quotation.

I would not fear using Turbotax Online, or probably any of the similar programs. They are easier than doing it any other way. Just follow the prompts; no need to study rules, etc. It is smarter than the typical tax adviser; definitely smarter than an IRS agent.

jreboll

Feb 1, 2017, 1:03 PM

Post #8 of 12 (9812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] USA Income tax returns

The nice thing about Turbotax is that it remembers all your personal data, bank accounts, income accounts, etc. from previous year. All you do is enter the amounts. It notifies you when the IRS has approved your return

Mexicanbill

Feb 7, 2017, 5:09 AM

Post #9 of 12 (9723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] USA Income tax returns

Thanks, I think that is the tie breaker, I like that they notify me when the IRS has approved it. That will take a lot of worry off my back. And as we will be staying in Mexico now, I need to set up a log term tax system anyway.

Mexicanbill

Feb 7, 2017, 5:17 AM

Post #10 of 12 (9721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] USA Income tax returns

Thanks, I will review more than once before I push the send button

Mexicanbill

Feb 7, 2017, 5:19 AM

Post #11 of 12 (9720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] USA Income tax returns

Thanks Rick, I did work for H&R Block many many years ago which gave me a tax background but there have been so many adjustments in the last few years that I will be using a tax company from now on.

TR Phil

Feb 7, 2017, 8:29 PM

Post #12 of 12 (9677 views)

Shortcut

I have used TurboTax for many years and have downloaded their software. I prefer that over the online version and you can upload your final return directly through their site to the IRS free of charge. I do this every year and has worked well for me. I hope this helps.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4