Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Peticolas

Jan 23, 2017, 5:50 PM

Post #1 of 7 (11658 views)

Shortcut

Travelling to San Miguel de Allende through Juarez

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am planning to drive to San Miguel de Allende, and Juarez is (by far) my most direct route. Is it relatively safe to travel down 45 in the early morning? Thanks in advance.

RickS

Jan 24, 2017, 7:11 AM

Post #2 of 7 (11638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peticolas] Travelling to San Miguel de Allende through Juarez

Why don't you define 'early morning' for us. Most people discourage driving 'at night' so if your 'early morning' means 4:00am for example, it might be discouraged. If you mean starting out around daybreak, in my book that would be OK.

If crossing at 'Juarez', one might consider actually crossing in the western suburb at the Santa Teresa crossing. This is a full service crossing and most of us find it easier than crossing 'downtown' and driving through Juarez. If you need a visa and car permit, regardless of crossing just make sure the offices are open at your intended 'early morning' crossing.

Peticolas

Jan 24, 2017, 8:48 AM

Post #3 of 7 (11629 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Travelling to San Miguel de Allende through Juarez

Thanks for the response Rick. "Early morning" means crossing the bridge around an hour after sunrise. That gives me a lot of daylight to reach Torreon, about the mid-way point in my drive. I would stay the night there and proceed to San Miguel de Allende the next day. I've read that it is pretty safe if you drive in daylight and stay on the toll roads as much as possible. I was mostly concerned about Juarez because of the recent uptick in violence there.

I was thinking of the downtown bridge because that gets you pretty directly onto 45, but your idea of Santa Teresa sounds good. I live in the area and am aware of the Santa Teresa port.

fred92

Apr 27, 2017, 1:37 AM

Post #4 of 7 (8173 views)

Shortcut

How was the route? High chance we will be passing through this place as well.

Peticolas

Apr 27, 2017, 6:58 AM

Post #5 of 7 (8144 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fred92] Travelling to San Miguel de Allende through Juarez

Can't really say, because I'm taking the trip at the end of May. I have since talked with several frequent travelers through Juarez, and they agree going through Santa Teresa (technically in New Mexico) is quicker and more convenient than the downtown El Paso bridge.

fred92

May 1, 2017, 9:00 PM

Post #6 of 7 (7832 views)

Shortcut

I see. Thought the El Paso bridge would be cool to see. Santa Teresa seems a better and safer choice.

chinagringo

May 25, 2017, 6:03 AM

Post #7 of 7 (6797 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fred92] Travelling to San Miguel de Allende through Juarez

Since we really disliked Torreon/Gomez Palacio, we changed to overnighting in Chihuahua and Zacatecas when doing the drive to/from New Mexico. We found the Santa Teresa crossing to be low key and generally quite efficient. My thinking: why put up with all the congestion at the El Paso crossing and then have to deal with all the traffic in Juarez?

YMMV
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4