Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gringal

Jan 27, 2017, 4:13 PM

Post #26 of 34 (6661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Just wondering?

Can't Post | Private Reply
RV: I hear you about the tarnish, but I'm finding out that it was just gold plate, and thin at that. Under that, the rust belt.
Do what you can and stay as well as you can.

YucaLandia

Jan 30, 2017, 5:12 PM

Post #27 of 34 (6599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Just wondering?

In Reply To
That's as good a source of rumor as the next one. (chuckle). Obviously, such a tax imposed on cars, real estate or anything else would need to come down from on high by legislation in either country. In the U.S., a politician...even a president....can talk a big tax or a big wall, but getting 'er done is another story.

I'm also noticing that the promises of the U.S. president-elect are at odds with his own party's plans; i.e. health insurance. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Since I'm no longer involved in the fray...pass the popcorn.

I basically agree with Gringal.

I believe that she understands that by ~not~ reading Spanish language news reports ... that by ~not~ speaking Spanish in detailed conversations with Mexicans who understand their country...

It nearly guarantees that all foreigners in those mono-glot boats, have limited understandings of what is happening around them ... let alone in far flung parts of Mexico.

It also nearly guarantees that the mono-glot foreigners will too frequently misjudge changing situations

... just as people who know no history, are fated to repeating easily avoided errors.

It's not a bad thing...

It just means that people who don't read the papers... and don't follow the news, are likely to have difficulty understanding the types, foreshadowing, shibboleths & nuances of what's going on in their own country-of-residence ...

It takes work to track & follow the twists & turns of just a single region, let alone a nation, even when we know a modest bit of their language.

... That's why I rely on Mexican family & friends to back-fill all of my minimal understandings, with their rich tapestries of social, cultural, historical & political context

;)

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jan 30, 2017, 5:15 PM)

hunteradvisor

Jan 31, 2017, 10:05 AM

Post #28 of 34 (6558 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Just wondering?

This is what I meant:
https://www.cuencahighlife.com/...on-policy-revisions/
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 31, 2017, 6:17 PM)

Gringal

Jan 31, 2017, 12:50 PM

Post #29 of 34 (6545 views)

Shortcut

Do you think maybe it's possible that this publication (which is making the rounds of more than one forum) just might be doing a tad of fear mongering in order to lure more expats into their own country? Huh? Huh?
Smile.

hunteradvisor

Jan 31, 2017, 1:22 PM

Post #30 of 34 (6541 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Just wondering?

Possibly, but most folks that want to be in Mexico are not going to switch for Ecuador. Afterall, tough to drive back and forth to the US from there.
It is already impacting Real Estate sales here in Puerto Vallarta, which is not good with over 1500 condo units coming online this year.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

Gringal

Feb 1, 2017, 9:06 AM

Post #31 of 34 (6494 views)

Shortcut

There will be an impact on real estate sales because of fear, but before long, this will be a settled issue, one way or the other and it would be a bad financial decison to put one's property on the market at this point. If the very worst scenario comes to pass, I'm sure Mexicans will take advantage of the situation and buy our properties at the deep discounts we will be forced to accept.
Let's hope for the best.

hunteradvisor

Feb 2, 2017, 7:36 AM

Post #32 of 34 (6457 views)

Shortcut

If I could speak with Pres. Nieto I would advise him to open his arms to Americans, provide a sanctuary-haven like Canada has done. Many people in the US are considering a move for retirement, which in my opinion threatens Corporations, healthcare etc. that rely on boomer dollars. I believe this is what lies behind much of the fear mongering, to keep US dollars in the country. By making any threat to ex-pats from the US it will play right into the hands of those interests that benefit from folks staying home.
"Follow the money"!
10,000 per day hit 65.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

RickS

Feb 2, 2017, 8:57 AM

Post #33 of 34 (6450 views)

Shortcut

"Many people in the US are considering a move for retirement..."

My view of this is that..... while 'many' folks may indeed decide to move out of the US for various reasons going forward,
their numbers will be so infinitesimal compared to the whole that it can have no real appreciable affect on 'life as we know it' NOB.

Just my opinion....

playaboy

Feb 2, 2017, 9:12 AM

Post #34 of 34 (6448 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Just wondering?

Rick, I agree with you. The retirement dollars leaving the USA is even less than infinitesimal.

Same thing regarding expat $$$$ spent in MX. The expat retirement dollars only make an impact in the areas where the enclave of expats live (Chapala and SMA).
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4