Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

viktoremski

Jan 10, 2017, 10:34 AM

Post #1 of 10 (16125 views)

Shortcut

Calling Europe from Mexico

| Private Reply
While calling Europe is practically free from US these days (with a $5 monthly plan), it seems to be a different story when calling from Mexico. Mexican AT&T charges $12.5 M.N. per minute, or you can buy a plan for $200 M.N., but it only gives you 100 minutes a month. Is anyone aware of a more economic way to reach Europe by phone (not by computer)?

joaquinx

Jan 10, 2017, 12:01 PM

Post #2 of 10 (16114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Calling Europe from Mexico

| Private Reply
Have you look at Skype for you cellphone?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

viktoremski

Jan 10, 2017, 12:40 PM

Post #3 of 10 (16108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Calling Europe from Mexico

| Private Reply
Unfortunately, I call mostly landline in Poland, my mom is not familiar with Skype, either.

joaquinx

Jan 10, 2017, 12:44 PM

Post #4 of 10 (16104 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Unfortunately, I call mostly landline in Poland, my mom is not familiar with Skype, either.

Skype can call anytype of phone including landlines. See https://secure.skype.com/...&expo365=bundled
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

viktoremski

Jan 10, 2017, 2:12 PM

Post #5 of 10 (16100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Calling Europe from Mexico

| Private Reply
Wow, thanks. That I did not know, even though it may seem strange to you... That is a good piece of information, will save me money. Thank you!

johanson

Jan 10, 2017, 6:18 PM

Post #6 of 10 (16085 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Remember, Telmex provides landline service in Mexico with several packages, some of which allows you to make unlimited international calls to many or most foreign countries, to include many European Countries.
The first package which also includes internet costs only $389 pesos per month, and the next higher $599 pesos per month.
What I don't know sitting here in Freezing Seattle for a few more weeks is whether Poland is one of those free countries when phoning from Mexico.
I just know that it sure is great being able to call the US and Canada from Mexico as often as I want and for as long as I want for either $389 per month (including internet) or for $599 per month (which includes faster internet)

viktoremski

Jan 11, 2017, 9:35 AM

Post #7 of 10 (16060 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Calling Europe from Mexico

| Private Reply
I'm not sure if I will have landline when I move to Puerto Vallarta in four months. But for sure, it is something worth considering. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the information!

rvgringo

Jan 11, 2017, 12:39 PM

Post #8 of 10 (16052 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Telmex can be confusing, as they use two different terms when discussing long distance (larga distancia):
Llmadas internacionales = Long distance calls, which are free from your landline to US & Canada.
Llamadas mundial = another package, which may include countries other than the US & Canada. Inquire about that one.

viktoremski

Jan 12, 2017, 8:35 AM

Post #9 of 10 (16028 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Calling Europe from Mexico

| Private Reply
Good point. I noticed that when looking at Mexican AT&T packages as well. Thank you!

johanson

Jan 12, 2017, 11:03 AM

Post #10 of 10 (16015 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
To see what the Telmex package is go to this link or enter https://contrata.telmex.com/conexion-internet and you will see that they say in Spanish.
Just remember that in many areas they only offer the packages offering slow internet. The $389 and $599 package. Where I live all I can get is 10 megs so I subscribe to the $389 peso package.

All the packages shown say world wide international long distance calls are included. Although it looks like all countries are include there is a list, that I can not find that shows the included or excluded countries.

(This post was edited by johanson on Jan 12, 2017, 11:29 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4