Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

skier14

Dec 22, 2016, 10:26 AM

Post #1 of 7 (7468 views)

Shortcut

Tijuana to San Diego

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anybody have any new info on going to San Diego via Tijuana? Flying into TIJ from GDL mid January. PR status in Mexico. Have heard that there is a new San Ysidro crossing.

RickS

Dec 22, 2016, 3:21 PM

Post #2 of 7 (7442 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Tijuana to San Diego

Are you referring to the 'walk across' bridge?

skier14

Dec 22, 2016, 5:47 PM

Post #3 of 7 (7436 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Tijuana to San Diego

I have no idea. I just heard that there was a new way to cross the border from the Tijuana Airport. In the past I have gone from the airport by bus or taxi to the old border San Ysidro crossing building , went through the immigration process, walked out of the building, boarded the blue-line trolley and went to San Diego. If my wife was with me, we stopped in the old building on the right to get her permit.

rvgringo

Dec 23, 2016, 8:23 AM

Post #4 of 7 (7417 views)

Shortcut

Now, you can walk inside, over the pedestrian bridge from the airport to the USA, with the customs checks on the bridge. There is a small fee. Transportation is available on the USA side.

skier14

Dec 27, 2016, 11:19 AM

Post #5 of 7 (7337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Tijuana to San Diego

I went online and found the new bridge. Goes to Otay Mesa not San Ysidro. Cost $18 with 20% discount for seniors. Walk from TIJ baggage claim with boarding pass of incoming flight within 4 hrs. Leaving from TIJ, same price and have boarding pass. Long term parking in Otay Mesa $10 per day.

AlanMexicali

Dec 28, 2016, 12:14 AM

Post #6 of 7 (7319 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I went online and found the new bridge. Goes to Otay Mesa not San Ysidro. Cost $18 with 20% discount for seniors. Walk from TIJ baggage claim with boarding pass of incoming flight within 4 hrs. Leaving from TIJ, same price and have boarding pass. Long term parking in Otay Mesa $10 per day.

They dropped the fee to $16.00 USD each way and no discount for seniors or students. If you buy a one way or 2 way ticket on-line on their website it is $15.00 USD each way. I used it both ways a couple of months ago. You need a boarding pass to use it going south. Going north you enter from the TJ airport baggage claim área.

They want to see your boarding pass and it cannot be more than 24 hours before the flight leaves. AeroMexico, Volaris and Interjet have counters to get boarding passes and several machines that print boarding passes in the lobby on the US side for these airlines. The north bound ticket counter takes pesos; $260 pesos, USDs or credit/debit cards, but the southbound does not. Only USDs or credit/debit cards.

To get your exit FMM card when you enter from the TJ baggage claim área go to the " To Mexico" side about 30 yards where there are 2 INM desks and ask for one for free. Show your INM resident visa then turn around and follow the "To USA" signs, pay for your ticket and continue.

The have esculators, stairs and 2 elevators going up and going down. The esculators have extra wide steps to hold suitcases. They have wheelchairs and assistants to help and a duty free shop on both sides. The bridge is seperated from each other north and south bound. There is a bolted down US immigration box going south to drop in I-94 US immigration cards when leaving the US and CBP booths which where unmanned.

Parking is free for 15 minutes for picking up or dropping off passengers.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Dec 28, 2016, 12:34 AM)

skier14

Dec 28, 2016, 2:39 PM

Post #7 of 7 (7274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Tijuana to San Diego

Thanks for the reply. For me I think its better to pay the taxi 250 pesos to take me to
either the new west San Ysidro entrance to the USA when traveling with wife and picking up her I-94 or the east entrance when alone. Trolley to San Diego is right there.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4