Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Baja13

Dec 20, 2016, 12:40 PM

Post #1 of 5 (9093 views)

Shortcut

Banorte

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anybody with experiece with Banorte? I'm considering opening a checking account there. There is a Banorte right where I live, so it's convenience more than anything.

Aaron+

Dec 25, 2016, 10:11 AM

Post #2 of 5 (9019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja13] Banorte

Our account is an Enlace Global checking account with Banorte. As is the rule in Mexico, whose banking system is bureaucratic and backwards despite all the computers, only one person on the account is the "titular" with rights to operate the account. For the second person on the account to go to a cashier and attempt a transacation, the cashier will not find your name on their screen, so they will have to have one of their "executives" call up the bank branch holding your account and otherwise verify who you are whilst you are made to feel like you are trying to defraud the bank.

Cannot recommend any Mexican bank. Of the major banks, only Banorte has the dubious distinction of being owned by Mexicans. Banorte has announced a major expansion in the number of its branches and ATMs in the next few years.

aglaonema

Dec 27, 2016, 10:03 AM

Post #3 of 5 (8950 views)

Shortcut

BANORTE is as good as any of them. If it is the best located for you, go ahead and open the account there.

roberb7

Dec 28, 2016, 6:58 PM

Post #4 of 5 (8901 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Banorte

In Reply To
Cannot recommend any Mexican bank. Of the major banks, only Banorte has the dubious distinction of being owned by Mexicans. Banorte has announced a major expansion in the number of its branches and ATMs in the next few years.

Scotiabank has made noticeable improvements over the past few months. [Full disclosure: I'm a Scotiabank stock holder.] And Santander recently announced a major expansion.

gatomex

Feb 3, 2017, 2:10 PM

Post #5 of 5 (8619 views)

Shortcut

when I tried to open account in 2015, they wanted RFC and proof of tax filing from SAT. (but I have NO Mexican source income)
Also had problem with Banco Azteca - they insisted that SSN begin with a 9 (which is actually issued only to non-US persons, which is then called a TIN - maybe that was their way of "no to americans")

easily opened and maintained with Banamex and CiBanco

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4