Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

gskala

Dec 11, 2016, 4:50 PM

Post #1 of 5 (5591 views)

Shortcut

Residente Temporal Question

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a question in regards to my Residente Temporal Visa.
I have been using a Residente Temporal Visa while I am working in Mexico for a two year commitment. My Visa expires early April, but I am thinking it might be beneficial to stay in Mexico 1-2 weeks beyond it's expiration date due to some important events in the Spring that require my assistance. I will be visiting family in the US for Christmas and returning to Mexico after the New Year.
To get to the question; can I re-enter Mexico after the New Year using my Residente Temporal Visa if I want to stay beyond it's expiration date? Or would it be better to re-enter using a Visitante Visa (180 days) to give me those extra two weeks? What would be my procedure for leaving Mexico in April after my Residente Temporal Visa has expired? I read somewhere that I need to return my Residente Temporal Visa if it is expired because it is property of Mexico, is this true? I have no desire to renew my Residente Temporal Visa because I will not be working in Mexico beyond my two year commitment.

Thanks in advance!

rvgringo

Dec 12, 2016, 7:43 AM

Post #2 of 5 (5548 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gskala] Residente Temporal Question

If you wish to stay beyond the expiration date of your visa, you must renew it. Failure can result in a fine.
If you were to enter as a tourist while actually having a residence visa, that visa would be cancelled & you may be fined and/or not be able to get another visa in the future.
Mexico is not flexible on its procedures and rules. If you were to work on a visitante permit, you would be illegal and so would your employer.
I suggest that you renew your visa, as required, or surrender it formally and return as a tourist with no work involved and no payment received; ie, no contact with previous employer.

RickS

Dec 12, 2016, 8:54 AM

Post #3 of 5 (5541 views)

Shortcut

Based on your plans, seems to me the easiest thing to do is:
1) when you leave Mexico, turn in/cancel your Temporal
2) when you come back just get a Tourist Card for your remaining time in Mexico

Of course, this is what RV said also.....

YucaLandia

Dec 12, 2016, 3:51 PM

Post #4 of 5 (5511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Residente Temporal Question

There are 180 day Visitante Visas with permission to work.

If you have a foreign-plated car in Mexico on a Temporary Import Permit, (TIP), things could get very messy going that route.

I sent you a PM, (check you Message In Box),
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

gskala

Dec 12, 2016, 4:30 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5504 views)

Shortcut

thanks so much for the info everyone! Luckily I don't have a vehicle here so I don't have to worry about that. I think I'll try to readjust my schedule to leave the day my RT Visa expires, just so I don't have to mess with the hassle. Thanks again!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4