Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

AnhartDark

Nov 28, 2016, 10:17 PM

Post #1 of 18 (12419 views)

Shortcut

Investing in 2017

Can't Post | Private Reply
Most common question people have is how to invest in dividend stocks, that’s where investing in high-quality stocks that provide dividends come in. There are two ways you can make money on a stock: capital appreciation and dividend yield. Capital appreciation is the increase in the share price and the dividend yield is what the company elects to pay out annually. For example, if a company’s share price increased five percent in 2015 and paid an annual dividend of five percent, the annualized return would be 10%. Adding high-quality dividend stocks to your retirement portfolio is the best way to ensure consistent growth.

Looking forward for some good advice in this thread.

chicois8

Nov 29, 2016, 9:31 AM

Post #2 of 18 (12391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AnhartDark] Investing in 2017

Gee,I will have to look into stocks...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

YucaLandia

Nov 29, 2016, 10:36 AM

Post #3 of 18 (12388 views)

Shortcut

Investing in stocks? ... I thought only rich people could invest in stocks?

How does one do that?

Can I send you a check, or do you prefer wire transfers ?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RickS

Nov 29, 2016, 5:31 PM

Post #4 of 18 (12364 views)

Shortcut

"Looking forward for some good advice in this thread."

My best advice, AnhartDark, is to not assume that the Forums of Mexconnect can be used for business purposes outside of Mexico. If it is Mexico business related, there is a Forum especially designed for that 'down the list'.

The first two Posters didn't seem to be too sure that your Post was for real. I'm on the fence.

Gringal

Nov 30, 2016, 6:41 AM

Post #5 of 18 (12341 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Investing in 2017

You're on the fence? Honest?
Smile.

YucaLandia

Nov 30, 2016, 6:50 AM

Post #6 of 18 (12340 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Investing in 2017

Can you hear the roars & gales of laughter coming from Yucatan ?
:)
-
Read-on MacDuff

Gringal

Nov 30, 2016, 6:55 AM

Post #7 of 18 (12337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Investing in 2017

It's drowning out the cohetes!

jreboll

Nov 30, 2016, 8:04 AM

Post #8 of 18 (12328 views)

Shortcut

I believe the op thought this was a website for millenials

arbon

Nov 30, 2016, 2:40 PM

Post #9 of 18 (12309 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
Investing in stocks? ... I thought only rich people could invest in stocks?

How does one do that?

Can I send you a check, or do you prefer wire transfers ?
steve

The Op was asking for good advice.

Thought you would tell the Op about the 13% interest you were getting a few years ago. Eh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(This post was edited by arbon on Nov 30, 2016, 2:43 PM)

YucaLandia

Nov 30, 2016, 3:31 PM

Post #10 of 18 (12302 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Investing in 2017

Yeah ... He'd love the 3% to 5% monthly returns that HSBC was paying out ... because that created HUGE churn - and big influxes & big outfluxes of $cash$ ...
... ummm ... wasn't it HSBC who (right after those go-go years) became the most heavily fined business in history ... over $250 billion in fines ... with some mentions of money laundering...

as HSBC (a Hong Kong bank) has a long honored tradition ...

as they cut their teeth in that special business as part of the 1970's-1990's Hong Kong crowd that was expert at making Soviet $billions$ disappear ... and reappear (from sweet-heart kickback $$ paid by the Swiss, German & French businesses to win massive contracts with the Soviet bureaucrats)

e.g. When I was working for the Feds as a contractor in Kiev, the Clinton's sent $5 billion in aid to Moscow ... that disappeared in less than 2 months ... and when the Clintons demanded to know how it was spent, the Russians just shrugged, gave blank looks, and said the Russian version of 'ni modo' ...

but what would a bunch of old geezers in Mexico know about finance ..

??
Happy Trails, and fond memories ...
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Nov 30, 2016, 3:34 PM)

playaboy

Dec 1, 2016, 6:02 AM

Post #11 of 18 (12280 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
It's drowning out the cohetes!

Maybe I should invest in a cohete factory.

roberb7

Dec 1, 2016, 8:13 PM

Post #12 of 18 (12253 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

but what would a bunch of old geezers in Mexico know about finance ..

I've got my hand up. I was able to retire a couple of years earlier because, in 2007-2009, when all the panicers were selling off their mutual funds, IRA's, etc., I was buying everything I could get my hands on, especially what turned out to be undervalued mutual funds. Ever heard the saying, "buy low, sell high"? The panicers' loss was my gain.

I fielded a question a few days ago about what to invest in if you're expecting some serious upheaval over the next few years, and my answer was cell phone companies, specifically Canada's BCE and Mexico's own América Móvil (Tracfone in the US, Claro in most of Latin America, Telcel in Mexico). I also have some money in Movistar, but I don't recommend it; badly run company.

DavidHF

Dec 2, 2016, 3:52 PM

Post #13 of 18 (12223 views)

Shortcut

HSBC Holdings plc is a British multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It is the world's fifth largest bank by total assets, with total assets of US$2.67 trillion.

YucaLandia

Dec 3, 2016, 7:44 AM

Post #14 of 18 (12190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Investing in 2017

True facts for the moment... as mega$$billion companies change their 'corporate' headquarters in the pursuit of lots of tax-goody rewards.

HSBC Realities:
The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited opened in Hong Kong on 3 March 1865 ...

They opened in Shanghai one month later.

HSBC was the first locally owned and locally managed bank.

HSBC cut their teeth ... and exploded across the world banking scene by laundering money through Hong Kong & Shanghai, as proven by their world record setting $250 billion fines for breaking banking laws ...

The Mexico tie-in ?
This explains HSBC Mexico paying 3% - 5% monthly returns during their peak money laundering periods.

Follow the money ...
:)
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 3, 2016, 7:46 AM)

roni_smith

Dec 28, 2016, 2:44 PM

Post #15 of 18 (11876 views)

Shortcut

If this is for real - look at SCHD, a dividend growth ETF from Schwab that pays about a 2.9% dividend that has increased about 10% year. 2016's dividend was 9.7% higher than 2015's.

Make your own calls, though, and assume responsibility for them.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

roberb7

Dec 28, 2016, 6:54 PM

Post #16 of 18 (11864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Investing in 2017

The T. Rowe Price Equity Income Fund has done well for me. $10,000 invested in 2012 is worth $18,000 now.

AnhartDark

Dec 29, 2016, 8:29 PM

Post #17 of 18 (11813 views)

Shortcut

Despite all the good news about the U.S. economy in 2016, from robust job gains to strong consumer spending, the stock market returns have been very disappointing. So far this year, the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average are up just above four percent, while the NASDAQ has gained over three percent.

There is a reasonable chance that this performance will be repeated in 2017, given no major driver of growth in sight and the risk of another recession increasing. In this environment of high volatility and low returns, it makes sense to look for the best long-term dividend stocks that generate consistent free cash flows, maintain quality balance sheets, and have the potential to protect their long-term earnings and dividend growth in the event of an economic shock.

Some of the best dividend stocks for 2017 are:
KO stock
PG stock
WMT stock
Source: https://www.incomeinvestors.com/best-long-term-dividend-stocks-watch-2017/7979/

(This post was edited by AnhartDark on Dec 29, 2016, 8:34 PM)

Gringal

Dec 30, 2016, 6:02 AM

Post #18 of 18 (11800 views)

Shortcut

...so I'm a cynic and a pessimist. I see bloated expectations, a fragile bubble and a serious correction on the horizon. Personally, I'm battening down the hatches for the time being. Others see a boom. None of us has a crystal ball.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4