Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

wynco

Nov 21, 2016, 4:49 AM

Post #1 of 10 (18137 views)

Shortcut

convoy for safety

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are traveling by car from Laredo or Eagle Pass before christmas - date can be arranged. Going down to Mexico City - looking for others to drive in convoy.
Any suggestions as we are worried re the safety aspect.
regards
Wynco
Wyn Coleman

RickS

Nov 21, 2016, 6:50 AM

Post #2 of 10 (18131 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wynco] convoy for safety

Tens of thousands of people drive those routes every day. Christmas time will expand those numbers greatly. Can you share with us how a few more people driving in a convoy will enhance your safety?

The Laredo crossing will have the most traffic, and Bridge I is closed possibly adding more congestion for the crossing. That route, however, is less remote than the lesser used Eagle Pass route from Monclova to Saltillo.

I've used both routes often, prefer the Eagle Pass version, but guess I just don't think of them as non-safe these days. You should be fine, convoy or not.

esperanza

Nov 21, 2016, 7:20 AM

Post #3 of 10 (18130 views)

Shortcut

I'm also interested to know what safety situations you anticipate along your route.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

rvgringo

Nov 21, 2016, 7:46 AM

Post #4 of 10 (18126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] convoy for safety

You will be on major highways with traffic, including Angeles Verdes and Federales.
Is your vehicle unsafe?

revtum

Dec 15, 2016, 12:13 PM

Post #5 of 10 (16934 views)

Shortcut

This past summer I drove with my family from Reynosa (via Mission/Anzalduas bridge) to Monterrey, on to Guanajuato, down to Toluca, to Mexico City, and back to Monterrey and Reynosa (all toll), and we had a fantastic road trip. Maybe a couple of check points, answered a few questions and we were on our way. I've making this same trip for about 20 years now with no problems.

Have a great trip!

wynco

Dec 15, 2016, 12:31 PM

Post #6 of 10 (16931 views)

Shortcut

Re: [revtum] convoy for safety

Hi
Many thanks, keeping fingers crossed. leaving any day now. Perhaps Monday.
regards
Wyn
Wyn Coleman

Mexicanbill

Dec 17, 2016, 1:03 AM

Post #7 of 10 (16885 views)

Shortcut

My wife and I have been driving from Puerto Vallarta to Eagle Pass about every five months, the latest being on Dec. 1st of this year. The roads are in very good shape. There are cuotas most of the way and gas stations all along the route. As long as you drive during the daylight hours it really isn't a problem. Four years ago when we first started driving this route, I was very worried but having done it a few times I no longer consider it as being unsafe.
Chef William aka MexicanBill

wynco

Dec 17, 2016, 2:03 AM

Post #8 of 10 (16884 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] convoy for safety

very many thanks for this - I was very worried with all the publicity we get. But from what people say I believe it is a highway of American cars etc all traveling down to Mexico.
Have a great Christmas
Wyn Coleman

esperanza

Dec 28, 2016, 9:53 PM

Post #9 of 10 (16772 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
very many thanks for this - I was very worried with all the publicity we get. But from what people say I believe it is a highway of American cars etc all traveling down to Mexico.
Have a great Christmas

That's hilarious. Have a great trip in Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

dmhaun

Jan 1, 2017, 10:13 AM

Post #10 of 10 (16724 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] convoy for safety

I drive from Austin, TX, through N.Laredo and to Lake Patzcuaro in Michoacan about 2 to 4 times a year and then continue driving around Mexico when I get there. I have neither seen nor experienced any kind of conflict, including a blissful absence of road rage.
Stay on cuotas and toll roads, since they are the newest, with the best service stations. Get gas when half-empty, not from lack of stations, but the enjoyment of stopping for a break. Most Pemex rest-stations have immaculate restrooms, good restaurants and stores with lots of goodies to eat.
If you as a driver have issues, pull off the side of the road and chances are a Green Angel will pull in behind you, with gas, chargers, maps, phones, towing and anything else to get you moving again.
One more tip: the toll booths have a plethora of small $$$ bills and is a great place to exchange those 500 pesos for more usable ones.
I'm a solo driver of 72 and find driving in Mexico to be not only pleasurable, but very easy.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4