Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

wynco

Nov 21, 2016, 4:52 AM

Post #1 of 12 (9407 views)

Shortcut

Convoy

Can't Post | Private Reply

anyone out there traveling down through Mexico before christmas. We are looking for convoy to try to ensure safety.
thanks
Wynco
Wyn Coleman

rvgringo

Nov 21, 2016, 7:44 AM

Post #2 of 12 (9390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wynco] Convoy

Note: Mexico has many roads, many entry points, many routes and other variables.
Point A & point B?

wynco

Nov 21, 2016, 10:21 AM

Post #3 of 12 (9377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Convoy

point a is Laredo but could do Eagle pass - point B is Taxco Guerrero.
Wyn Coleman

chicois8

Nov 22, 2016, 11:44 AM

Post #4 of 12 (9339 views)

Shortcut

With hundreds of thousands of vehicles driving that route daily why would you think you need a convoy for safety, circle the RV;s........LOL
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

wynco

Nov 22, 2016, 12:21 PM

Post #5 of 12 (9337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Convoy

because everything i read tells me there is safety in numbers - please don't answer a question with another question - you either know the answer to mine or not.
thank fors what effort you made though
Wyn Coleman

buffalodon

Nov 22, 2016, 1:14 PM

Post #6 of 12 (9330 views)

Shortcut

If you're that paranoid and frightened you're best just to stay home.

If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you think you were?

rvgringo

Nov 22, 2016, 2:29 PM

Post #7 of 12 (9323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [buffalodon] Convoy

Wow! Here comes a convoy of fresh tourists with white knuckles. Attention, Banditos! We can head them off at the pass and get more for our trouble than just one little car full. ¡Ole! :)

Seriously: Just head on down. Relax and enjoy the trip. Look for a place to stop about mid-afternoon. Stretch your legs, enjoy the food and weather, sleep, and depart at your liesure after breakfast for the next leg of your trip. Mexico is beautiful and fascinating. Enjoy it. Convoys seldom work, or cause accidents & disagreements as folks try to keep together. Just do it on your own. Everyone else does. Even if you break down, either Mexican travelers or the Angeles Verdes will come to your rescue and it will turn into a surprisingly enjoyable experience.
Without such an attitude, you might as well stay at home in the USA or Canada and pull the covers over your head.

wynco

Nov 22, 2016, 2:43 PM

Post #8 of 12 (9320 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Convoy

I have had some very rude and condescending replies to a very simple request which I now wish I had never made. I will really think twice before I post any further comment on this site. I am not used to rude people, perhaps becuase I was brought up to respect everyone's point of view
Wyn Coleman

RickS

Nov 22, 2016, 3:21 PM

Post #9 of 12 (9310 views)

Shortcut

The OP is asking to join a caravan. By now she knows what our thoughts are for even suggesting such an idea.

Please confine any further remarks to answering her quest, not her reasoning for asking.

slainte39

Nov 25, 2016, 9:22 PM

Post #10 of 12 (9245 views)

Shortcut

If you stay on major routes that are heavily trafficked, it has the same effect as a "convoy". Stay with a line of traffic if that makes you more comfortable even if it becomes frustrating and as RV says you would be better served travelling in the daylight hours. I prefer night driving as there is less traffic and it's cooler and no sun glare, but I make sure I know where the 24 hr. gasolineras are. Not advisable for infrequent travelers in Mexico.
I'm offering this advice as putting together a caravan convoy to your destination would be highly improbable, but of course, not impossible.

Aaron+

Nov 27, 2016, 1:01 PM

Post #11 of 12 (9200 views)

Shortcut

Sorry Wyn for the rotten abuse some have given you on this otherwise usually informative website. Your question is very reasonable and merits the information you request.

The Angeles Verdes (Green Angles) are a branch of the Mexican Tourism ministry. If you look at the bottom of http://av.sectur.gob.mx/#servicios you will see some US phone numbers. Sorry, I have not checked for English.
Among their services apparently is the organization of protected caravans of visitors, principally Mexican Americans visiting their Mexican home town (part of operation paisano).

Disregard the lamebrains who say that Mexican highways are safe. Some are, sure. Not so, particularly on routes through Tamaulipus and Veracruz states, among many others. There has to be a reason Mexico organizes protected caravans during the three major holiday seasons!

We came down to the Yucatan peninsula by road in 2010. Would not do it again.

(This post was edited by Aaron+ on Nov 27, 2016, 1:06 PM)

Aaron+

Nov 27, 2016, 1:04 PM

Post #12 of 12 (9197 views)

Shortcut

Re: [slainte39] Convoy

Note--NOTE that most travel sources strongly recommend AGAINST night driving in Mexico. Besides a better chance of encountering highway robbers, you also stand a better chance of encountering stray cattle and (even on toll roads) blocks of concrete or car-swallowing holes. And on two lane roads, there's aways the night joy of encountering the many vehicles without lights or reflectors. But some of us enjoy living dangerously, apparently including slainte39.

(This post was edited by Aaron+ on Nov 27, 2016, 1:05 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4