Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

rcaste7252

Nov 9, 2016, 12:22 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3718 views)

Shortcut

FM3 and becoming a permanent resident and/or a Mexican Citizen.

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am a US citizen,

I've been an FM3 Mexican visa holder for 21 years, have worked for a maquila industry in the Matamoros/Reynosa,Tamaulipas area for those many years. I have commuted to work in Mexico for all those years but have always resided on the US side.

At my last renewal of my FM3, an employee of the Mexican Consulate in Browns, Texas asked me: Why haven't you (in this many years) applied to become a permanent resident/citizen of Mexico? you have "earned it", since you have been paying taxes to Mexico via your employment for more than two decades you would easily qualify for it. I answered I had not thought about it, up to that point anyway.

But the question to this forum is: Is there potentially any downside in becoming a permanent resident and obtaining Mexican citizenship while still working for a US maquila industry as an US expatriate and while still living in the USA?

Could that affect my employment status or retirement status, or tax status? Would my employer potentially have an objection to my becoming a permanent resident/citizen of Mexico?

is it a good idea to pursue becoming a permanent resident of Mexico if you are still working as a US expatriate employee? One thing is becoming a permanent resident of another country, in this case Mexico after you go into retirement and a completely different thing if you are still working as an expatriate, I would think.

Hope someone in a similar situation can share his/her views and experience with this issue and advise on the pros and cons if any. One other thing is, I am married to a Mexican citizen and my spouse inherited (owns) a piece of real estate property, it would also be important to know the potential impact to our rights to that property or would't matter? One day we hope to retire in Mexico, possible sometime in the next 7 or 8 years.

AlanMexicali

Nov 9, 2016, 2:19 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rcaste7252] FM3 and becoming a permanent resident and/or a Mexican Citizen.

Your story sounds just like that, a story. It doesn´t follow the, since Nov. 9th. 2012, new Mexican immigration laws.

tonyburton / Moderator

Nov 9, 2016, 4:59 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rcaste7252] FM3 and becoming a permanent resident and/or a Mexican Citizen.

"becoming a permanent resident and obtaining Mexican citizenship" - you should be aware that these are two entirely different processes, handled by two entirely different government departments.

citlali

Nov 20, 2016, 10:35 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3547 views)

Shortcut

To start with , wether you have rights to your wife ´s property depend under what regime you are in Mexico... and if it is her inheritence you may have zero rights so that is the first thing to check with a notario not a board.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4