Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

mtespi1

Nov 3, 2016, 1:23 AM

Post #1 of 4 (14038 views)

Shortcut

Masa is very sticky

Can't Post | Private Reply
Greetings! Currently i have this big problem when it comes to nixtamalizing my own tortillas. I am from the Philippines and I did my research all over, The dried corn that i am using is native white corn or what we call it here "lagkitan" or "binhi". I cook it and soak it with hydrated lime for for 24 hrs and grind it with a Victoria corn mill 😉 My problem is it always comes out sticky, really sticky that even when pressing it it already sticks to the plastic in between the tortilla press. Does anyone of you might know where my problem is? Is it the variety of corn that i am using? The grinder? The amount of cal that i use? Hope to hear from anyone of you. I am abit disappointed and desperate now. Thanks!!

rvgringo

Nov 3, 2016, 10:43 AM

Post #2 of 4 (14023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mtespi1] Masa is very sticky

Sometimes, stickiness results from trying to form the tortilla too soon. Let the masa sit for a few minutes longer. It is important to wait for the corn to absorb the water properly.
If that does not work, you might try using just a bit less water.

esperanza

Nov 5, 2016, 7:35 AM

Post #3 of 4 (14009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Masa is very sticky

In Reply To
Sometimes, stickiness results from trying to form the tortilla too soon. Let the masa sit for a few minutes longer. It is important to wait for the corn to absorb the water properly.
If that does not work, you might try using just a bit less water.

RV, wow, I'm impressed that you're nixtamalizing corn and making tortillas! Could you post some photos, please?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

esperanza

Nov 5, 2016, 7:40 AM

Post #4 of 4 (14008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mtespi1] Masa is very sticky

mtespi1, are you letting the lime/water/corn mixture boil? It should only simmer. 24 hours is far too long to simmer it; it shouldn't take more than 3 hours.

Here in Mexico, the type corn we use is cacahuatzintle. It's a very large grain, hard-drying mazorca (dried corn ear). The kernels are much larger than lagkitan.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4