Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Guero

Oct 29, 2016, 10:33 AM

Post #1 of 6 (7065 views)

Shortcut

Residente Permanente and previous TIP on tourist visa...

Can't Post | Private Reply

Hi, our move is going smoothly. I am confused about a couple of things, however.

I am flying out of PDX tomorrow for a 10 day visit.

1) My wife (Mexican citizen) and girls (dual USA/MEX citizens) are living in AGS and the girls are in school there.

2) We have purchased a home, and have a rental home.

3) I have a Permanente Residente visa in my passport from the PDX MEX Consular.

4. I imported a non-nafta TIP vehicle (Volvo) in July in my name on a tourist visa. I am thinking to sell the Volvo and import another vehicle on my new RP visa.

I am confused on what my steps with INM should be, given I have my visa. Do I have time on a 10 day visit to complete necessary paperwork, appointment, etc.

Thanks in advance

RickS

Oct 29, 2016, 11:18 AM

Post #2 of 6 (7063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guero] Residente Permanente and previous TIP on tourist visa...

I am not quite sure how your marriage to a Mexican National may influence this, but otherwise .....

The TIP vehicle that you brought in while on a Tourist Card is no longer valid because you have/are transitioning to Permanente Residente and that particular residency status cannot own a foreign-plated vehicle in Mexico. In fact you are obliged to drive it out of Mexico and cannot sell it (to anyone) in Mexico. By the same token, as a RP you cannot purchase another vehicle in the US, NAFTA or not, and temporarily import it (TIP) into Mexico. Under your circumstances, people have to purchase a Mexican vehicle. There are many to choose from these days, new and used, and most are 'basically comparable' to their US sold cousins.

(This post was edited by RickS on Oct 29, 2016, 11:22 AM)

Guero

Oct 29, 2016, 11:04 PM

Post #3 of 6 (7033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Residente Permanente and previous TIP on tourist visa...

Thanks Rick, That's what we are going to do. I want to have Mexican plated cars as soon as possible. I got in a hurry with regard to obtaining my Residente Permanente. Other than that, things seem to be proceeding according to plan.

YucaLandia

Oct 30, 2016, 6:07 AM

Post #4 of 6 (7023 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi, our move is going smoothly. I am confused about a couple of things, however.

1) My wife (Mexican citizen) and girls (dual USA/MEX citizens) are living in AGS and the girls are in school there.

4. I imported a non-nafta TIP vehicle (Volvo) in July in my name on a tourist visa. I am thinking to sell the Volvo and import another vehicle on my new RP visa.

I am confused on what my steps with INM should be, given I have my visa. Do I have time on a 10 day visit to complete necessary paperwork, appointment, etc.

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, Mexican Consulates do NOT issue Residente visas of any type.

Mexican Consulates only start the Residente visa application process, by pre-approving part of your visa application before you travel to do the process at your local INM office. If the Mexican Consulate finds you qualify to apply for a Residente visa, they only put a special one-time use stamp in your passport that is good to enter Mexico for just 30 days to continue your Residente visa application process ('Canje')**.

Once in Mexico, you go to your INM office and formally register with them to continue the application process.

They will have you enter your personal data into the INM computer database ... Check the 'Canje' option on the INM webpage ...

See this webpage for detailed instructions on how to do it:

https://yucalandia.com/...d-staying-in-mexico/

NOTE
INM offices have generally been taking 2 - 3 weeks to process and complete the Residente visa process - while a few are taking up to 2 months.

This makes it unlikely that you could complete the Mexican part of the visa application process in just the 8 days you propose.

Foreigners who must travel abroad while their Resident visa applications are being processed can apply in writing for an Exit and Re-entry permit letter from their INM office. See that web-link above for details.

Realize that many INM offices take 3 - 5 business days to process & issue the Exit and Re-entry permit letter, so don't wait until the day before your exit to apply.

Sidelight:
Being a family member of a Mexican or spouse of a Mexican (with your marriage formally registered with your State's Registro Civil office), we can be better off just making a Vinculo Familiar application at our local INM office, than going through the Mexican Consulate pre-approval process.

The weblink above contains detailed information about how to get near-guaranteed approval for family members of Mexicans to get a Residente visa - fairly quickly - and cheaper - without ever leaving Mexico.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Oct 30, 2016, 6:19 AM)

AlanMexicali

Oct 30, 2016, 6:51 AM

Post #5 of 6 (7019 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Thanks in advance

This is your situation as I understand it and what you need to do to get a Residente Permanente visa/card.

1. When flying into Mexico show the Mexican Immigration [INM] your passport with the 6 month preapproved RP vísa and get it stamped.

2. Fill out and keep one portion of a FMM card - the "canje" section. They will give you 30 days.

3. Immediately go to your local INM office with these and start the "tramite" [processing] of your RP visa/card.

4. Once they accept your documents and you pay the $1126 pesos processing fee at a bank apply for a 60 day exit and return document.

5: Show the exit and return document when leaving Mexico to the INM officer and get it stamped. Show it again when entering Mexico and get it stamped.

6. Return and go to your INM office and continue the processing.

If you go the "vinculo familiar" law route you will need more documentation and if accepted they will only give you a Temporary Residence visa/card for 1 to 4 years. They will keep you on a RT status for 2 years before you can apply for Permanent Residence and it will cost you much more in the end.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Oct 30, 2016, 9:57 AM)

AlanMexicali

Oct 31, 2016, 2:05 AM

Post #6 of 6 (6979 views)

Shortcut

I stated:

"If you go the "vinculo familiar" law route you will need more documentation and if accepted they will only give you a Temporary Residence visa/card for 1 to 4 years. They will keep you on a RT status for 2 years before you can apply for Permanent Residence and it will cost you much more in the end."

If you do do use the "vinculo familiar" law from inside Mexico by using a child that is a dual citizen then you will need more documents to prove the relationship but will get a Residente Permanente visa/card. The above quote was using your wife as the family bond. Possibly at the Mexican Consulate you did apply under the "vinculo familiar" being the father of a Mexican citizen to get a 6 month preapproval for Residente Permanente visa.

Once you enter Mexico and do no start the "tramite" before the 30 days is up your preappoved 6 month RP visa is then invalid and you have to start over again.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Oct 31, 2016, 2:07 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4