Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

NorthAmericanTraveler

Oct 28, 2016, 6:59 PM

Post #1 of 11 (14794 views)

Shortcut

Sonora Travel

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm going to be taking a trip to the Organ Pipe Cactus N.M. in Arizona. I am wanting to take MX 2 from Sonoyta to Naco for a day excursion into Mexico. I know that I don't need a TIP to drive from Sonoyta to Santa Ana. What I am questioning is the section from Imuris to Cananea. I'm not 100% sure if that is in the free zone or not. (I'm thinking it is.) If anyone knows for sure you would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know I'll need an FMM to do that trip.

chicois8

Oct 29, 2016, 7:53 AM

Post #2 of 11 (14769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] Sonora Travel

Why not just Google " Sonora no hassle zone map" ?

http://www.gvnews.com/news/local/not-all-of-sonora-a-hassle-free-zone-for-travelers/article_b7f1d3a2-5600-11e2-8adf-001a4bcf887a.html

Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by RickS on Oct 29, 2016, 11:23 AM)

NorthAmericanTraveler

Nov 3, 2016, 9:18 AM

Post #3 of 11 (14720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Sonora Travel

I did look up a map, and the map seems to indicate that MX 2 is in the hassle free zone. However Google Street View imagery from 2008 says that the Hassle Free Zone Ends on MX 2 as shown in the link below.

https://goo.gl/maps/XFZEsponCWR2

I'm not sure if the zone has been expanded since 2008 or if that sign is still accurate. If you (or anyone else) knows for sure, that would be awesome.

(This post was edited by RickS on Nov 3, 2016, 10:08 AM)

RickS

Nov 3, 2016, 10:30 AM

Post #4 of 11 (14712 views)

Shortcut

Although the following information was NOT taken from an official Mexican source, it seems to confirm the other info and not the photo you showed from 2008...

"All of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula, including the states Baja California and Baja California Sur are inside the free zone. Also, the northwest portion of the state of Sonora, where the zone is delineated by a couple of Mexican Federal Highways. The Free Zone includes the portion of the state of Sonora that lies to the northwest of Mexico Federal Highway Number 2, starting at Agua Prieta, extending through Cananea, up to where it intersects with Mexican Federal Highway Number 15 in Imuris. From Imuris, the free zone is again all of the areas to the north and/or west of Mexico Federal Highway Number 15, which runs south through Magdalena, Santa Ana, Casa Blanca, Benjamin Hill and Hemosil
lo."

NorthAmericanTraveler

Nov 3, 2016, 11:11 AM

Post #5 of 11 (14700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Sonora Travel

In Reply To
Although the following information was NOT taken from an official Mexican source, it seems to confirm the other info and not the photo you showed from 2008...

"All of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula, including the states Baja California and Baja California Sur are inside the free zone. Also, the northwest portion of the state of Sonora, where the zone is delineated by a couple of Mexican Federal Highways. The Free Zone includes the portion of the state of Sonora that lies to the northwest of Mexico Federal Highway Number 2, starting at Agua Prieta, extending through Cananea, up to where it intersects with Mexican Federal Highway Number 15 in Imuris. From Imuris, the free zone is again all of the areas to the north and/or west of Mexico Federal Highway Number 15, which runs south through Magdalena, Santa Ana, Casa Blanca, Benjamin Hill and Hemosil
lo."

I'm thinking you guys are right. Obviously I want to make 100% sure, because I don't want my car to be confiscated. I did see on a sign on westbound MX 2 (east of Cananea) that read "Hassle Free Zone Next 466 KM). Ironically Empalme is 462 km from that point. It would also make zero sense that one direction is hassle free and the other is not. That sign almost has to be either a) outdated or b) wrong.

playaboy

Nov 3, 2016, 1:16 PM

Post #6 of 11 (14688 views)

Shortcut

Your route takes you on the border of the "No Hassle Zone" If you are worried, get a TIP anyway. It is a very easy process and will take all of 15 minutes. Then if you make a wrong turn, or want to check out something else, you won't have to sweat it.

RickS

Nov 3, 2016, 1:28 PM

Post #7 of 11 (14687 views)

Shortcut

Interestly, farther east from that sign in about what might be "5km", there is a Aduana stop (for Westbound traffic) complete with lanes for trucks or vehicles and 'Declare/Nothing to Declare' lanes. It is 'around San Antonio and a secondary road that heads north to Nogales' for placement. Wonder what THAT is all about and if it has anything to do with the No Hassle Zone.
That part of the Google Street Scene map was/is also dated 2008.

(This post was edited by RickS on Nov 3, 2016, 1:31 PM)

NorthAmericanTraveler

Nov 3, 2016, 2:19 PM

Post #8 of 11 (14681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Sonora Travel

I always assumed that that Aduana in San Antonio was basically the point where if you went southwest of that point you had to have an FMM. Maybe I'm wrong though. What's sort of odd is that there is not another sign 5 kms down the road that says that the Hassle Free Zone Ends.

Several websites do seem to confirm that Hwy 2 from Agua Prieta to Imuris is indeed part of the free zone. So I think I'll take my chances. The imagery was from 8 years ago. I'm not sure, but maybe the free zone in Sonora has been extended since then.

The background info on this trip is that I will be coming from Marble Canyon and I am going to the Organ Pipe Cactus NM. From there I plan on driving MX 2 from Sonoyta to Caborca to see more of the cacti and such. Rather than heading back northwest from Caborca I wanted to take MX 2 to Naco because that would save me a ton of time. (I live in Indiana.) At the most I'll probably be in Mexico for 6 or 7 hours, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend the $50 for a permit for my car. I'm pretty sure I'll need an FMM, but I'm pretty sure there's a 7 day one that is free so I'm not concerned about that. (Yes I'm a cheapskate.)

This has been pretty fun discussing this with you guys by the way.

RickS

Nov 3, 2016, 2:42 PM

Post #9 of 11 (14674 views)

Shortcut

Sounds like you are knowledgeable but... Some areas do NOT have the free FMM.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Nov 3, 2016, 2:52 PM

Post #10 of 11 (14673 views)

Shortcut

According to this site, you should be good without a permit on the route you described:

ONLY SONORA Vehicle Permit Program

If you do decide to get an "all-Mexico" temporary importation permit (TIP), note that there's no longer any Banjercito office at Naco to return it and get your deposit back. You'll need to do so at Cananea or Agua Prieta.

Suerte,

K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

NorthAmericanTraveler

Nov 3, 2016, 4:03 PM

Post #11 of 11 (14664 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Sonora Travel

In Reply To
According to this site, you should be good without a permit on the route you described:

ONLY SONORA Vehicle Permit Program

If you do decide to get an "all-Mexico" temporary importation permit (TIP), note that there's no longer any Banjercito office at Naco to return it and get your deposit back. You'll need to do so at Cananea or Agua Prieta.

Suerte,

K.H.

Wow! Thanks man! This was the 100% proof I was looking for, but couldn't find.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Rick S: I've heard some places don't issue the free FMM, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :) Even if they don't I'm still willing to pay the $20 for one, since I'll need it anyways.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4