Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

jrpierce

Oct 26, 2016, 10:27 PM

Post #1 of 23 (10302 views)

Shortcut

Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

Can't Post | Private Reply
Recently, a few expats living in the Morelia area have had ATM cash withdrawals rejected or severely limited when using foreign ATM cards (mainly from the US or Canada). Problems have been reported at Bancomer, BanaMex, Banorte, and others. This is a significant change from my experience over the past 7 years. I'm writing to see if this has been happening in other parts of Mexico, and to see whether anyone has information about the reasons for it. One bank rep said it was necessary to withdraw cash from an account with the bank at the teller's window rather than at the ATM. When I asked if they were restricting foreigners without accounts at their bank from obtaining money from their ATM's, she said they were.

AlanMexicali

Oct 27, 2016, 2:40 AM

Post #2 of 23 (10294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jrpierce] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

In Reply To
Recently, a few expats living in the Morelia area have had ATM cash withdrawals rejected or severely limited when using foreign ATM cards (mainly from the US or Canada). Problems have been reported at Bancomer, BanaMex, Banorte, and others. This is a significant change from my experience over the past 7 years. I'm writing to see if this has been happening in other parts of Mexico, and to see whether anyone has information about the reasons for it. One bank rep said it was necessary to withdraw cash from an account with the bank at the teller's window rather than at the ATM. When I asked if they were restricting foreigners without accounts at their bank from obtaining money from their ATM's, she said they were.

Banamex and Banorte have, about 2 or 3 months ago, dropped their daily ATM withdrawals from $8.000 pesos to $6,000 pesos on all ATM withdrawals. It has nothing to do with foreign bank account ATM withdrawals. If you used to get more at some other banks they also have dropped the daily withdrawal limits to $7,000 pesos per day. The message you get when exceeding these amounts is: The amount has exceeded the limit. You then retry at $6,000 pesos and it will give you the cash. No conspiracy.

jreboll

Oct 27, 2016, 3:31 AM

Post #3 of 23 (10292 views)

Shortcut

I have been using my credit union ATM card at banamex to withdraw 5000p here in Michoacan without a problem.

Maxmilliano

Oct 27, 2016, 6:07 AM

Post #4 of 23 (10273 views)

Shortcut

I am a long ways away from a bank so I like to take $10,000 but have run into problems recently in Bucerias, Nayarit. Since it is a cash economy and it takes more pesos to get anything done it seems counter productive. This is what I have experienced recently.

Bancomer: Dropped limit to $7,000

Santander: Limit $6,000

HBSC: They still give $10,000

Banco del Bajio: Their machines still don't read foreign cards with chips after more than a year with my new card.

jrpierce

Oct 27, 2016, 6:50 AM

Post #5 of 23 (10265 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

Until recently, I could get 10,000 pesos at almost any bank. Indeed, just just two weeks ago I did so at Banorte. Since then, however, I (and others) have often seen a "Not Authorized" message. Interesting you say that all the banks are reducing withdrawal limits. Any idea why? And why they are all acting in concert? Is this due to some Mexican banking regulation?

jrpierce

Oct 27, 2016, 6:57 AM

Post #6 of 23 (10263 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maxmilliano] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

Maxmilliano, just as you said about being in a cash economy, our practice has been to withdraw 10,000 pesos at a time. That has been possible for the last 7 years from a variety of banks. This change is really inconvenient. I wonder what is behind it and whether it is the "new normal" for us here in Mexico.

Maxmilliano

Oct 27, 2016, 7:05 AM

Post #7 of 23 (10261 views)

Shortcut

I don't know why but agree it is very inconvenient making extra trips to the bank.

rvgringo

Oct 27, 2016, 8:49 AM

Post #8 of 23 (10249 views)

Shortcut

Some credit cards are now stating that, “Some foreign fees may no longer be reimbursed“, and it seems that Mexican banks are discovering that expats do tend to empty their machines faster than others. So, maybe they have figured out how to increase their “income“ from their machines.

skier14

Oct 27, 2016, 1:30 PM

Post #9 of 23 (10236 views)

Shortcut

This month at HSBC I withdrew 15,000 pesos at one shot.

YucaLandia

Oct 27, 2016, 3:17 PM

Post #10 of 23 (10229 views)

Shortcut

Bancomer ATMs here in Merida have not been accepting NOB cards at 3 different Bancomer locations for at least the past 3 weeks.

These NOB cards previously worked at Bancomer ATMs.

First person reports from other parts of Mexico confirm their Bancomer's ATMs are also rejecting NOB cards.

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

jrpierce

Oct 27, 2016, 3:44 PM

Post #11 of 23 (10223 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information! The problem appeared to start here in Morelia with Bancomer, but there are also reports of periodic denials and lower caps on withdrawals at other major Mexican banks as well. I'm hoping the expat community in Mexico will be able to track down what is happening so we can all plan how to manage our finances. In this cash economy, we burn through lots of pesos. Moreover, I'm sure this won't be beneficial to the Mexican tourist businesses and economy if visitors can't get effectivo to spend. Jim

esperanza

Oct 27, 2016, 5:13 PM

Post #12 of 23 (10212 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the information! The problem appeared to start here in Morelia with Bancomer, but there are also reports of periodic denials and lower caps on withdrawals at other major Mexican banks as well. I'm hoping the expat community in Mexico will be able to track down what is happening so we can all plan how to manage our finances. In this cash economy, we burn through lots of pesos. Moreover, I'm sure this won't be beneficial to the Mexican tourist businesses and economy if visitors can't get effectivo to spend. Jim

This situation at Bancomer has been reported on the Chapala.com website since more than a week ago.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

bournemouth

Oct 28, 2016, 1:00 PM

Post #13 of 23 (10178 views)

Shortcut

Friends have just called on their way back from the Bancomer office in Ajijic. The bank representative there told them the ATM problem has been fixed - they were able to get money out for the first time for several days. The representative also told them that the use of the ATMs is governed by an international agreement and the bank cannot restrict the use of the ATM's.

Good news for all - I'm off to get money shortly, hoping for the same positive result.

jrpierce

Oct 28, 2016, 1:19 PM

Post #14 of 23 (10176 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

Thanks for the information. That sounds like great news! Perhaps people can report here whether they are able to withdraw funds, especially amounts in the 7 to 10 thousand peso range, from Bancomer ATM's.

bournemouth

Oct 28, 2016, 2:41 PM

Post #15 of 23 (10168 views)

Shortcut

I just got cash, in your upper range, but the bank rep in the lobby says that sometimes the system is working and sometimes not - so it's not yet completely repaired.

Aaron+

Oct 30, 2016, 3:28 PM

Post #16 of 23 (10094 views)

Shortcut

For those of us spending more time in Mexico then the US, perhaps it is finally the time to get your own Mexican bank account. You can transfer your $US to peso deposits into your Mexican account using one of a number of money transfer companies, onlne even.

johanson

Oct 30, 2016, 4:30 PM

Post #17 of 23 (10088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

Sadly that is what I was forced to do. Or maybe it's a good thing that I wire funds from up North down to a local bank along the shores of Lake Chapala were I have both a brokerage and bank account and a Mexican debit card.
My two US debit cards from Bank of American accounts often don't work down here. But my Mexican Visa Debit card seems to always work.

jrpierce

Oct 30, 2016, 5:10 PM

Post #18 of 23 (10085 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

There are a few reports that here in Morelia Bancomer is once again dispensing cash with NOB cards. I'll be checking it out tomorrow or Tuesday.

We've had a Mexican bank account for years but have kept a low balance as an emergency backup and used it to pay a variety of utility bills with automatic deductions. We keep just enough money in it to avoid fees. If we start needing to transfer funds for regular use, then we have additional costs to wire funds, as well as adding another chore to our schedule. So my hope is that we won't need to adopt that approach.

jrpierce

Nov 6, 2016, 8:29 AM

Post #19 of 23 (9999 views)

Shortcut

It seems our Bancomer ATM problem has not been fully resolved. At least here in Michoacán, there are new reports of NOB debit cards being rejected (and the NOB banks reporting no authorization was ever sought by Bancomer). No other bank ATM's are consistently being reported as problems, so it may be the problem is localized to Bancomer. Anyone else have new updates?

bournemouth

Nov 8, 2016, 12:04 PM

Post #20 of 23 (9931 views)

Shortcut

I just failed to get money in the Lake Chapala area this morning at a Bancomer ATM so moved onto the next location, CIBanco, which delivered money beautifully.

Sadly Bancomer has a way to go in fully resolving their problem with foreign cards.

tabacone

Mar 17, 2017, 11:35 AM

Post #21 of 23 (8898 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

I've been experiencing similar issues with a particular MasterCard I use as it has no international fees. Started in late October at Bancommer and is now useless for cash at any ATM. Works perfectly as a charge card but as an ATM card my banks sees no activity. Allows me to go through the steps but when it is supposed to count money, it spits out the card. Some ATMs indicate it cannot communicate with my bank. Replaced the card. Same story.

donemry

Mar 18, 2017, 7:27 AM

Post #22 of 23 (8858 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tabacone] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

I had a similar problem. It appears to be Bancommer as I switched to Banonorte ATM's with no problems.

rvgringo

Mar 19, 2017, 10:11 AM

Post #23 of 23 (8812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Problems using foreign cards to withdraw cash at ATM's

Bancomer? We found the solution back in 2002 or 2003, when we experienced lots of problems using our US debit cards. We simply stopped trying to use Bancomer for anything at all; going to other ATMs and usually taking out 10,000 pesos each visit. HSBC became our favorite ATM, although we did use others whenever we were at other locations. Bancomer has always been......well; different.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4