Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

hapicampr

Oct 24, 2016, 11:17 AM

Post #1 of 10 (13509 views)

Shortcut

driving to Guate....are in-transit permits possible

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola todos,

just wondering if anyone can help with updates on crossing mexico with a vehicle. I'm hoping to drive "in-transit " thru to guatemala from Texas

like others who've spent time on the road in mexico...trucks making a transit passage can been seen on the road
just wondering how this is done and if it saves one from getting permits or making deposits for a vehicle.
last I drove, I cou.d only get my deposit back if leaving the mexico to the USA at the same crossing point.

hoping to not return to the states this time...don't won't to live under any of the possible new presidential choices 😊
or with any future disgruntled neighbors and idiots

RickS

Oct 24, 2016, 11:44 AM

Post #2 of 10 (13506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hapicampr] driving to Guate....are in-transit permits possible

I have no knowledge about a possible "in-transit" vehicle permit through Mexico, but.... a person these days does NOT have to return their vehicle/temporary import permit to the same border crossing in the US in order to get their deposit back. I have no experience leaving to Guatemala but have into Belize.

BTW, possibly since you obtained a TIP, the deposit charge may have increased (substantially?). They are now $200-$400 depending on the age of the vehicle. I procure the permit with a credit card (rather than cash) and the refund to that card has only taken between 3-5 business days.

playaboy

Oct 24, 2016, 12:20 PM

Post #3 of 10 (13501 views)

Shortcut

I believe transit permits are done at the Los Indios crossing only. You have 10 days and have to drive a specific route. With a regular TIP you can take your time and drive any route you want.

I just went to the Belize border with a friend to cancel the TIP he got in Brownsville. They handed his deposit to him, 4/$50 USA bills.

Good luck

hapicampr

Oct 24, 2016, 12:29 PM

Post #4 of 10 (13499 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] driving to Guate....are in-transit permits possible

Well at least that gives me the option.
I've exited thru Los indies once....so I can drive in and make up my mind when they tell me the route at the border.
I've driven 6 times before....always seeing trucks in tow...with in transit written on the windshield. ...so I was curious about it saving some hassle...or creating it?
thanks

playaboy

Oct 24, 2016, 12:43 PM

Post #5 of 10 (13497 views)

Shortcut

"In transit" is creating hassle. Takes a couple of days to get the permit. Los Indios and the east coast route is not the safest.

hapicampr

Oct 24, 2016, 5:30 PM

Post #6 of 10 (13484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] driving to Guate....are in-transit permits possible

No matter what permit or visa I get....I plan on driving Laredo to Queretaro...then the toll road to Oaxaca and most likely south to Huatulco and on towards tapachula....but maybe to the crossing south of San Cristobal instead
however...do you know....if I choose a in transit visa for the vehicle. ...can I skip a 180 day visa for me...and also cross on a 7 day visa with no fees? for me as an individual?

jreboll

Oct 26, 2016, 2:00 AM

Post #7 of 10 (13445 views)

Shortcut

In Los Indios I have seen parking lots with billboards saying "Servicio Transmigrantes". I believe these are private agencies that help with the paperwork. And the bridge will have long lines of Transmigrantes waiting to cross. There are many who do this for a living. They don't own any of of what they are towing. They are just "choferes"

hapicampr

Oct 26, 2016, 11:30 AM

Post #8 of 10 (13429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] driving to Guate....are in-transit permits possible

Mil gracias amigo

esperanza

Oct 27, 2016, 6:47 AM

Post #9 of 10 (13400 views)

Shortcut