Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

PonyMex

Oct 25, 2016, 11:08 PM

Post #1 of 15 (6062 views)

Shortcut

How to cancel an auto registration in the US

Can't Post | Private Reply
How can I cancel my car's registration in the US after I import my car and register it in one of the Mexican states?

I talked to DMV in my state today. The agent told me that I would need to turn in my license plates within 30 days. But it is almost impossible to do so unless I physically fly back to the US.

Does anyone have the same experience?

GodsGiftToMexico

Oct 26, 2016, 1:23 AM

Post #2 of 15 (6058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PonyMex] How to cancel an auto registration in the US

In Reply To
How can I cancel my car's registration in the US after I import my car and register it in one of the Mexican states?

I talked to DMV in my state today. The agent told me that I would need to turn in my license plates within 30 days. But it is almost impossible to do so unless I physically fly back to the US.

Did you ask DMV whether you can Fedex, UPS, DHL or otherwise mail them the license plates ?

Do you have somebody that you trust (not to use the plates to rob a bank) who you can Fedex/mail the plates to, who will then physically take them there ?

What if you simply don't renew your registration when the latest one you had expires. I don't believe they will come after you. I had let my California registration expire a couple of years ago for about a year, and nobody bothered me. In my case, I later paid the back registration and late fee since I eventually registered the car again. But I believe that if I never registered the car again, and never drove it again in California, nobody would have come after me to collect the registration and late fees.
-----------------------------------------------
God's Gift To Mexico
http://PuntaBanda.org

stevebrtx

Oct 26, 2016, 6:06 AM

Post #3 of 15 (6046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GodsGiftToMexico] How to cancel an auto registration in the US

I left one of my cars in storage in TX for 7 years and activated it again last year and no problem and no penalty.

AlanMexicali

Oct 26, 2016, 12:38 PM

Post #4 of 15 (6018 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

DMV in California told me the same thing. If I want the plates on the vehicle I need to renew the registration as a non operative each year for $9.00 USD or cancel the registration but need to give them the plates first. OTHERWISE I would owe them late fees and registration fees and need a smog etc. It will be calculated to a much lesser amount you will owe them if you skip 2 years of registration and then go to pay for the 3rd year.,

joaquinx

Oct 26, 2016, 2:41 PM

Post #5 of 15 (6011 views)

Shortcut

As part of importing a car into Mexico, the agency will export your car from the US. Thus, your car in not a US car anymore. If you wish to move back to the US with your car, you will have to import it to the US and then register it in the state where you intend to live.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

RickS

Oct 26, 2016, 3:50 PM

Post #6 of 15 (6005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] How to cancel an auto registration in the US

joaquinx, what you say is true enough. BUT my understanding is that California cares not a hoot whether you did that. If one doesn't 'check out' with them, they claim you are still a California vehicle owner.... with all that implies.

YucaLandia

Oct 27, 2016, 3:27 PM

Post #7 of 15 (5976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] How to cancel an auto registration in the US

This has been true for both California & Colorado for years.

Just 6 months ago, Colorado happily issued us a duplicate title for our old pickup truck, even though the truck was formally permanently imported into Mexico 10 years ago.

We got the title, because were considering either selling it, or taking it back to the States, and it seemed easier to do that with a Colorado title.

California: As described elsewhere, for at least 10 years, California requires that its residents keep their vehicles registered continuously, unless you get a special exemption. California vehicles that are taken out of California for a few years, and then returned to CA, are assessed all the old back registration fees + additional fees.

We have checked with friends from New Mexico, Texas & Arizona, and they confirm that, prior to the 2014 CBP/Banjercito 'new' requirement that American-titles be formally cancelled by the CBP export process, these three states have previously had no mechanisms to detect that a vehicle registered in their systems was taken to Mexico.

This means that prior to Sept 2014 Banjercito/Aduana's 'new' requirement that the US title be cancelled by CBP before the US vehicle could be permanently imported into Mexico .... there was no feed-back from Mexico-Aduana-Banjercito notifying NM, TX, AZ, CA, or CO DMVs that the vehicle had been imported permanently to Mexico.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Oct 27, 2016, 3:30 PM)

AlanMexicali

Oct 27, 2016, 5:15 PM

Post #8 of 15 (5966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] How to cancel an auto registration in the US

Steve, California DMV does not want the years of non payment and late fees if you skip 2 years of registration. They give you a big break as in 140% of the last year you didnīt register the vehicle only even if it is for 5 years etc. Then add a late fee of about $40.00 USD. Then you pay for the current year and if late pay another 110 % of the current year plus the normal late fee. It would work out to about $328 USD for a $120 USD renewal if renewed in time.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Oct 27, 2016, 8:57 PM)

RickS

Oct 27, 2016, 5:26 PM

Post #9 of 15 (5963 views)

Shortcut

Back early during this summer (2016) I 'formally' imported a Dodge truck into the US (Eagle Pass CBP) that had been formally Exported from the US and into Mexico in the Fall of 2015. The title on the truck was Nevada. Because that Import process into Mexico had, my words, "made the Nevada title unusable but still available to me", I had to request a duplicate Nevada title. I had Power of Attorney.

Nevada did provide me with a duplicate title to the truck with no questions asked (and I didn't offer any info about it having been formally Exported by CBP 9 months earlier).

AlanMexicali

Oct 28, 2016, 5:05 AM

Post #10 of 15 (5949 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] How to cancel an auto registration in the US

In Reply To
Steve, California DMV does not want the years of non payment and late fees if you skip 2 years of registration. They give you a big break as in 140% of the last year you didnīt register the vehicle only even if it is for 5 years etc. Then add a late fee of about $40.00 USD. Then you pay for the current year and if late pay another 110 % of the current year plus the normal late fee. It would work out to about $328 USD for a $120 USD renewal if renewed in time.

I rechecked the California DMV website and if over 2 years of skipped registration it is 160% of the current registration fee, plus a $100 late fee, not 140% plus a $40.00 USD fee for the first year of skipped registration and no current registration fee. This fine is for the current registration. A $120 USD registration fee will then be $292 USD.

"More than 2 years 160% of the vehicle license fee due for that year
160% of the weight fee due for that year, if any
Registration Late Fee $100.00"

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/...1EvUU5RSy80SlNFL2Vu/

(This post was edited by RickS on Oct 28, 2016, 6:47 AM)

YucaLandia

Oct 28, 2016, 8:51 AM

Post #11 of 15 (5932 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] How to cancel an auto registration in the US

I love it when people sharpen up the answers, with the latest & precise information - with both first-hand experiences & citations/references to the current policies.

We're better together,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

roberb7

Oct 29, 2016, 8:09 PM

Post #12 of 15 (5887 views)

Shortcut

When I imported a car into Mexico, they didn't make me surrender the Washington State title. So, I've assumed that if this vehicle was returned to Washington State, there wouldn't be any problem with re-registering it.

RickS

Oct 30, 2016, 9:11 AM

Post #13 of 15 (5865 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberb7] How to cancel an auto registration in the US

In Reply To
When I imported a car into Mexico, they didn't make me surrender the Washington State title. So, I've assumed that if this vehicle was returned to Washington State, there wouldn't be any problem with re-registering it.

I don't know the criteria, but sometimes they don't 'invalidate' the US title and sometimes they do. May have something to do with the Mexican state into which one is registering the newly imported vehicle. In my case, in Jalisco, the title was 'returned' but the processing stamps and signatures on it made it invalid in the US. I know, because I tried to turn it in to my State (not where it was previously titled) and they said, Nada. You need to get a duplicate title before we can process it here.

Obviously, YMMV

YucaLandia

Oct 31, 2016, 8:59 AM

Post #14 of 15 (5835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberb7] How to cancel an auto registration in the US

In Reply To

When did you import your car into Mexico?

If before Sept. 2014's Aduana rule change, and if you did not use the US CBP's 3 day vehicle export process, then the WA title would appear to still be valid.

In Sept, 2014, Aduana/SAT cracked down on car theft rings who were falsely importing US-titled vehicles into Mexico ~ blocking lots of special amparo-allowed, so-called paper-only imports, that were falsely importing US-titled vehicles without going through the mandatory US CBP export process.

So, if you brought your vehicle in during the past .... the US - Mexico border leaked like a sieve for importing US vehicles into Mexico, before the SAT crackdown that killed off the amparos and jailed Aduana agents, judges, some Customs brokers & 'facilitators'.

Current Realities: ... Under the current stricter rules for private individuals, only 8 - 9 model year old NAFTA vehicles are allowed for import, only by licensed Customs Brokers, and the US CBP is cancelling all US titles on vehicles being properly imported into Mexico.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Oct 31, 2016, 9:01 AM)

roberb7

Oct 31, 2016, 9:10 AM

Post #15 of 15 (5831 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
When did you import your car into Mexico?

If before Sept. 2014's Aduana rule change, and if you did not use the US CBP's 3 day vehicle export process, then the WA title would appear to still be valid.

May, 2014.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4