Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

sargentodiaz

Oct 24, 2016, 12:06 PM

Post #1 of 8 (8018 views)

Shortcut

The Valley of the Bears

Can't Post | Private Reply
This is a short version of a story I wrote about what California was like when the Spaniards first explored California. People see the bear on the state flag but most don't know what it's there. This story explains it. It's about a young Chumash Indian who lives the experience and becomes a disciple at Misión San Luis Obispo.

Go to http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com to read it. Enjoy.
For Information about Antigua y Nueva California, check out my blog, Father Serra's Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

No checa andar de tacuche

Oct 28, 2016, 3:26 PM

Post #2 of 8 (7942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sargentodiaz] The Valley of the Bears

Part of the title of the article "The men – and women – who carved civilization out of wilderness."

In the article you mention the Chumash, so I guess the indigenous peoples had no civilization since it was only "wilderness", only the good Catholic Spaniards had "civilization". It's evident you are a Catholic and colonial-times apologist but please, not even Pope Francis would say such things that are contrary to reality.

sargentodiaz

Nov 7, 2016, 12:34 PM

Post #3 of 8 (7851 views)

Shortcut

Re: [No checa andar de tacuche] The Valley of the Bears

I do not mean to claim the Spaniards superior to the Chumash. They were a very bigoted group who looked upon all natives in the New World as no better than animals - until they were baptized and taught to be "civilized."

Some Chumash were excellent boat builders and sailed well offshore to the channel islands.

They were, however, part of a Stone Age era in the New World as even the Aztecs and Mayans and Incans did not not of or how to create iron objects.

If the Chumash and many others have such great civilizations, why did they willingly flock to the Catholic missions and accept the totally different and stringent lifestyle?

All I'm asking is for someone to read it with an open mind.
For Information about Antigua y Nueva California, check out my blog, Father Serra's Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

Gringal

Nov 8, 2016, 6:48 AM

Post #4 of 8 (7821 views)

Shortcut

Since they didn't make a documentary at the time, we can only rely on the written history; written by the conquerers of course.
I question the "willingly" of the indigenous people "flocking" to the missions.

sargentodiaz

Nov 8, 2016, 12:40 PM

Post #5 of 8 (7809 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] The Valley of the Bears

The Baja missions had one Jesuit and a companion, usually a poorly trained soldier. In many cases, they had to turn converts away because they didn't have enough to feed them due to floods of pests like locusts.

In Upper California, there were 2 friars and 5 Leatherjacket Soldiers who were Mestizos. The locals came willingly to the missions because of a regular diet not affected by the weather. They were taught there was something beyond death better than the life they lived. They became some of the best vaqueros in the New World and worked hard - without whipping - to make the missions industrially successful. When it came to punishment, the friars had a firm rule that "spankings" were given only after a clear explanation why and without blood letting, broken bones, or even severe bruising. The most effect part was doing it publicly, thus shaming the miscreant.

It was far from perfect but was working just fine until the Americans came and put the natives on reservations created without attention to their ancestral land.

gabr

Apr 16, 2017, 10:23 PM

Post #6 of 8 (6111 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for sharing the article.

chicois8

Apr 17, 2017, 8:48 AM

Post #7 of 8 (6073 views)

Shortcut

sargento writes:
" They were, however, part of a Stone Age era in the New World as even the Aztecs and Mayans and Incans did not not of or how to create iron objects."

The groups you mention may not have known how to create iron objects, With their metals they made objects out of were gold and silver for jewelry and other items of beauty and not iron for swords and other objects of war....
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

fred92

May 2, 2017, 10:58 PM

Post #8 of 8 (4256 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] The Valley of the Bears

Interesting read!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4