Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Baja13

Oct 18, 2016, 3:44 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3457 views)

Shortcut

English Satellite Channels

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm looking at getting a satellite for my parents who live in Baja. Any advice which company might be good for English channels would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

YucaLandia

Oct 19, 2016, 2:24 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3414 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja13] English Satellite Channels

Do they (or you) currently have satellite service at another location?

Dish? DirecTV? Shaw Direct?

If so, then what provider ... and where is the other location?

If you live in the NY city service area (like NJ) ... or outside of LA ... or outside of San Francisco, you may be able to easily set up a dish in Baja, and bring down a stand-alone receiver from your home system - relying of CONUS beamed channels that are quite strong in Baja.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Baja13

Oct 22, 2016, 11:54 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3347 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] English Satellite Channels

Thanks for responding Steve! They don't have a current satellite system up north. Tried getting shaw through a Canadian friend but it's outrageous for the dish and set-up. I think I will just get them the Roku3 and they can get it off the internet.

YucaLandia

Oct 23, 2016, 5:30 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3342 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja13] English Satellite Channels

Check what programs / channels they want, and find out if they are blocked for reception/watching by Mexican IPs.

If what they want is blocked, you'd have to go to a VPN (added costs, some hassles, and slower internet) ...

Do they have cable TV up North - or some subscription/contract/service that gives them the channels they want ?

Do they have internet up North?

If so, maybe Slingbox is the way to go? ... Buy a factory refurbished Slingbox (cheaper than satellite equipment) ... connect it to their existing US/Canadian TV service ... connect it to their internet ... and watch their own TV (over the internet) anywhere in the world that has 2 Mb or 3 Mb download speeds?

Another possibility: Sling company is also now offering a nice suite of channels over the internet for just $19 a month, though I have not tried it. .... and yes, Sling TV watching in Mexico would require a VPN that hides your Mexican IP address. *sigh*

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Oct 23, 2016, 5:33 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4