Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

plick

Oct 3, 2016, 11:20 AM

Post #1 of 3 (11950 views)

Shortcut

Churro help

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have recently started making churros and selling them using a old fashion churro gun. (it looks like a t with me grabbing the handles and pushing a wooden dowel to push dough out a star hole on the end.) I find the dough is hard and that makes it difficult to push through the hole. After 3 hours i am physically done. Someone suggested using mateca inca instead of oil in the recipe to make the dough softer and wonder what are your suggestions on the matter. I need to make the dough softer so i can work for 5-6 hours. i do see some churro sellers pushing it through easy and cant figure out what they are doing. thank you

Maesonna

Oct 4, 2016, 8:44 AM

Post #2 of 3 (11930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [plick] Churro help

Manteca Inca is vegetable shortening. I would think it would be unlikely to make the dough softer than oil; if anything, the contrary. You make dough softer by either increasing the runny ingredients (oil, liquid) or decreasing the flour. Have you experimented that way?

plick

Oct 5, 2016, 11:47 AM

Post #3 of 3 (11912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Churro help

Thank you. after i posted this I setup experiments with different oils and found out i was putting more flour than water. the measuring cup I was using has an extra 1/2 cup on top and when you are rushing you don't measure correctly so that 1/2 cup of flour was throwing me off. I have come to the conclusion that the type of oil does not matter, what matters is measure correctly. Water and flour have to be exactly cup for cup or even a little more water then flour, but not much more because to much more effects cooking time

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4