Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Mexipatdf

Oct 2, 2016, 4:06 PM

Post #1 of 11 (4611 views)

Shortcut

Shaw Direct missing signal

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

Is anybody missing Shaw Direct signal for the HD channels?

Everything seems to be fine with my system, I was receiving signal fine until yesterday afternoon.

However today I get no signal whatsoever from the satellite (111w, F1) that carries most of the HD channels.

From what I can see, everything seems fine on my side.

Anybody experiencing the same problem?

Mexipatdf

Oct 2, 2016, 4:57 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4606 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexipatdf] Shaw Direct missing signal

There is a problem with Shaw Direct's satellite.

They are apparently still working on it, and don't know what is the cause of the problem.

I now have a signal, some HD channels are back, not all of them, though.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 3, 2016, 8:50 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4595 views)

Shortcut

Exactly. One of the two Shaw Direct satellites, Anik F2 took emergency measures, whatever that means, and an email was sent out to their clients that Shaw is readjusting the satellite and as of now, 10:45 this Monday morning the channels are coming back on although, the signals seem a bit weaker than before.
Let's hope that all gets back to normal by the end of the day

hodamayo

Oct 3, 2016, 10:21 AM

Post #4 of 11 (4586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Shaw Direct missing signal

Are you all using the newest XKU LNB? I found some people are still on the old KU LNB, so if you have made a change in the LNB, you need to let Shaw know about the change so they can change your signal type. Where are most of you located? I am the Cancun area.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

johanson / Moderator

Oct 3, 2016, 12:42 PM

Post #5 of 11 (4572 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hodamayo] Shaw Direct missing signal

Most use the Ku LNB both down here near Guadalajara, plus up north because the don't see much on the 3rd bird that one might be interested in and we knew about the complications should Shaw think you have the other LNB. Besides if I remember correctly even a 2.4 meter dish would have trouble receiving a signal from the third bird as far south as San Francisco.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 3, 2016, 1:10 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Shaw Direct missing signal

I just again reviewed what is carried on Anik G1 for Shaw Direct, the bird that doesn't reach this far south and I saw almost nothing that would interest me when I'm up north or anywhere anyway.

Mexipatdf

Oct 3, 2016, 9:52 PM

Post #7 of 11 (4552 views)

Shortcut

I´m not using the regular Ku Lnb, considering that there's no signal for the third satellite (G1) in Mexico,

I wouldn´t have use for the new Xtended lnb.

I understand that could even create problems, considering what address is on your sub.

I seem to remember that if the receiver maps the channels from G1, and your sub has an address for one of those locals, it would tune to it, but if it doesn´t get the signal it would stuck on that, (i.e. no signal).

I guess unless your paying for the time shift, to tune in say to the Toronto HD channels which are on F2.

Here's a map for G1's footprint. The extended Ku band, doesn´t look like reaching down into a large part of the US.

https://www.telesat.com/sites/www.telesat.com/files/satellite/telesat_satellitebrochurea4_anikg1_1.pdf

(This post was edited by RickS on Oct 5, 2016, 9:00 AM)

hodamayo

Oct 3, 2016, 10:44 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4547 views)

Shortcut

I have people bring down their XKU LNB and am able to tweak my signals on a 60 cm antenna and a 75 cm antenna and am able to get a 80 to 96 signals strength on both satellites and this is way further South in Cancun all the way down to Belize, so I do not know what you guys are using, but with my Super Buddy signal finder I am tweaking peoples Shaw signals for them. Allot has to do with the Skew. After 15 years of doing this I hope I know what I am doing.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

johanson / Moderator

Oct 4, 2016, 8:37 AM

Post #9 of 11 (4537 views)

Shortcut

Around the Lake Chapala area the majority use the Shaw "75" elliptical dish with the old LNB. Some use 4 footers with two flashlight LNBs separated enough to get reception from both Anik birds. According to a local dealer we can use either here, and that he has not noticed any significant difference. I will drop by the office of another dealer this afternoon and see what he says.
Me, I have always tweaked my own satellite dishes up north, but usually use someone else down here. Why? Because the rates are so low in Mexico. I don't remember the signal strength, but it is quite strong and the picture lasts much longer than Dish or DirecTV US when the storm clouds come in even when using the 2.4 meter which what one uses with DirecTV and three LNBs.

Mexipatdf

Oct 4, 2016, 1:18 PM

Post #10 of 11 (4526 views)

Shortcut

I know people as far south as Belize use the 60 or 75 with good results, except for rain fade.

I understand they use the regular Ku lnbs, again since it doesn´t make sense to use the Extended because the G1 bird doesn't reach Mexico, let alone Belize.

I get good signal strengh, I have a 2 dish setup, one for each Anik, and I play around with the dishes, pointing, skewing lnbs, etc.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 4, 2016, 2:20 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4525 views)

Shortcut

I talked to several dealers down here near Guadalajara along the shores of Lake Chapala today who said that as long as your old Quad LNB is working that why bother changing to the new one. But as Hodamayo AKA Mike Mayo said when one needs a new one, folks coming down from Canada bring down the new model which is called the XKU LNB. They also say that it works just as well as the LNB that it replaces. (It's just that up north it picks up signals from a 3rd satellite that we can not receive down here)

Mike is a well known and respected dealer in the Cancun area, and of course he knows his stuff.

Me I'm just an amateur who tries to do everything himself.

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 4, 2016, 2:28 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4