Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

JesusAlejandro

Sep 26, 2016, 1:39 PM

Post #1 of 4 (4144 views)

Shortcut

Resident visa for a freelancer?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello everybody,

I'm Jesus from Venezuela, and I've done a lot of research of Mexico and seems like a place I'd love to live in with my girlfriend.

The thing is that there is little to no information online about our case. We both (girlfriend and I) freelancers, we each got an online job for An US company. And we decided to move to Mexico. Main problem is that we can be be in the country for 6 months as tourist, and we are looking more than that and of course want to do and be legal there.

I'd love if anyone knows if we got a chance or what are the requirements, paperwork for our case. We don't want to work for a Mexican company or anything like that we would be working for the US company online and spend our money and live in Mexico :)

I'd really appreciate any feedback you got.

rvgringo

Sep 26, 2016, 2:49 PM

Post #2 of 4 (4140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JesusAlejandro] Resident visa for a freelancer?

You may apply for visas at the nearest Mexican consulate in your legal country of residence. There will be financial/income requirements to prove, but if approved you can enter Mexico and have 30 days to establish and prove an address for the INM officials to process your visa application, which will take some weeks. Since you work online and are not paid in Mexico, you can freelance.

roberth

Sep 27, 2016, 8:21 AM

Post #3 of 4 (4100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JesusAlejandro] Resident visa for a freelancer?

It will basically depend on if you make enough to qualify. You'll need to show 6 months of paystubs showing income from your online job of a certain about. You should inquire at your nearest Mexican consulate to see what level they will require.

Just to tell you what to expect, if approved, when you get to Mexico and are dealing with INM, they will ask you for a very specifically worded letter stating that you work for a US company, and will be using the income from that company to live on in Mexico. It shouldn't be that difficult for you, since I'm sure you speak Spanish. But it was kind of tricky for me to get the wording exactly right.

But ya, it's definitely doable. You would be going for a Residente Temporal non-lucrativa. That's what I'm doing here, and it's been great, but it is a little outside the norm, so expect a little confusion from INM officers you might interact with.

Best of luck, Mexico is a great country to live in.

JesusAlejandro

Sep 30, 2016, 4:49 AM

Post #4 of 4 (4025 views)

Shortcut

Re: Resident visa for a freelancer?

Thank you both for the information. It has been helpful going to continue working towards that :)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4