Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

yodave

Sep 26, 2016, 8:08 AM

Post #1 of 4 (7895 views)

Shortcut

Need information on replacing lost Permanent Resident Card

Can't Post | Private Reply
I lost my Permanent Resident Card at JFK airport upon arrival from Mex. All info I have seen in the forums seems to cover what to do if you lose it in Mexico, and I found some of the advice very very confusing and full of incomprehensible legalese, I need some simply stated advice on steps to take here in the US re: what to do.

I do not have a copy of it(grrrr...). I HAVE read I need to somehow get a TEMPORARY VISA(whatever that is...)at a Mexican Consulate in the US to return to Mexico, and NOT use a TOURIST VISA(told I would then have to restart the whole process of getting a Permanent Resident Visa all over again???)

A further possible complication is that I am DRIVING back to Mexico, not flying. I have never been asked for or given any kind of "visa" when doing this, but since I DID fill out the exit info at Migracion using my card at Mex City airport and handed over that slip before boarding plane-I believe I am in the system-which just confuses me as to what I have to do when DRIVING back...

I would appreciate any clear info from possibly some one who has gone through this and know exactly what I need to do.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me out here!!!!

YoDave

rvgringo

Sep 26, 2016, 10:25 AM

Post #2 of 4 (7882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yodave] Need information on replacing lost Permanent Resident Card

I am pretty sure that you must go to the nearest Mexican Consulate, where they will be able to assist you in getting a replacement. If you try to enter Mexico without your visa, you could be detained. You would also have to lie if you reported it lost in Mexico, rather than in the USA. Best to go to a consulate in the USA ASAP. It may take some time to resolve.

YucaLandia

Sep 26, 2016, 1:43 PM

Post #3 of 4 (7866 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yodave] Need information on replacing lost Permanent Resident Card

Lic. Spencer McMullen has one set of advice: Use the Consulate's DOF mandated prcedures to get a special one time visa.n See Chapalalaw.com for his professional advice.

'Facilitator' 'Sonia' tells her customers to simply give-up and apply for a whole new RP visa at a Consulate.

A number of individuals have successfully gone to INM entry-point offices, and been allowed in to get replacement RP cards.

I would read the recent rather-long thread on Chapala.com on this ... focusing on Zeb's most recent experiences.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

yodave

Oct 2, 2016, 1:25 PM

Post #4 of 4 (7790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Need information on replacing lost Permanent Resident Card

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Going to an INM entry point is risky-I'll be driving and crossing at 6 in the morning(from US-all the way from NYC!) and my experience is the people on duty at that time barely know how to issue a Tourist Visa(my wife always needs to get one when we cross because she flies back and I drive back).

So, can't take the chance they won't have a clue...

Speaking of driving-I have NEVER been asked to fill out any kind of form or even to go to the INM office-even when I had an old FM3...

Will read the info you recommended and will be sure to post anything I learn in this process so I can be of some help to others who may have this problem.

Advice to anyone going thru Immigration at JFK Terminal 4-stay alert and in the moment when using the great, new, and fast computer terminals to clear customs. Very easy to get distracted as I did-took my permanent resident visa out of my passport, put it down, then had to scan my passport, then lean down and have picture taken, then get the receipt. All after a long day travelling-I completely forgot I had put down my card...lost and found never found it-grrrrr.....

Thanks again,
YoDave

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4