Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Sep 13, 2016, 2:25 PM

Post #1 of 8 (8161 views)

Shortcut

Uber in México City

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have been hearing about using Uber rather than taxis in México City. I know one isn't supposed to hail a cab on the street--potentially unsafe, extortionate charges--but is Uber considered safe and reliable? How many drivers are there, and do they exist in all areas?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Maesonna

Sep 13, 2016, 5:01 PM

Post #2 of 8 (8151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy in Pátzcuaro] Uber in México City

Uber is generally considered safe and reliable in Mexico City. Pretty much every expat that I’ve heard express an opinion on taxis takes only Uber.

I’ve heard anecdotes about the occasional bad Uber experience but they seem to be rare – certainly less common than anecdotes about street taxis. The only problems with respect to security that I’ve heard about are incidents related to UberPool (rides shared with strangers). Also the surge pricing can be brutal when conditions are extreme – but that’s a fact of Uber everywhere, not a problem related to Mexico.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Sep 13, 2016, 7:30 PM

Post #3 of 8 (8146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Uber in México City

Thanks--so many of the Airbnb listings talk about using Uber to navigate the city that I was curious about other people's experiences. I don't think that anyone listing their apartments on Airbnb would recommend Uber if it wasn't safe and realiable. We have the Uber app on our phone, so when we go to México City the next time we'll use them.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

TigerTonio

Sep 15, 2016, 6:45 PM

Post #4 of 8 (8115 views)

Shortcut

Cabify is also very good and is very similar to Uber. Both are safer alternatives to street taxis.

esperanza

Sep 16, 2016, 7:28 AM

Post #5 of 8 (8104 views)

Shortcut

I use Uber most of the time for getting from my home in Hipódromo Condesa to most destinations in Mexico City. Uber is wonderful and gets better all the time.

Prices are either on a par with or less than street taxis, the cars are air conditioned and in excellent condition, and all are equipped with GPS. A caveat: most Uber drivers use WAZE (rather than Google maps) to navigate the city and occasionally the WAZE route is not the most direct route.

Uber has recently begun sending a message to your app--prior to beginning your trip--telling you what your fare will be, so there are rarely any surprises.

Uber has never created a problem with my credit card.

During peak hours, or when the city is impacted by demonstrations, or during major high-demand events, be sure to look closely at the 'dynamic' hour fare before you request an Uber. It can be more than you might want to spend. And be certain that your vehicle selection is on "UberX", unless you want to spend a premium for a larger or more luxurious car.

I also have the app for YAXI on my phone; YAXI is a good alternative to Uber. A plus for YAXI is that you can choose the option to pay in cash, if you prefer. I don't want my credit card information in too many places, so I always pay cash for YAXI.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Maesonna

Sep 16, 2016, 9:27 AM

Post #6 of 8 (8098 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Uber in México City

We’ve had only good experiences with Cabify, too. It was a new benefit that we got with our airline credit card: six rides to the airport or pickups at the airport per year. We have to arrange them a day ahead of time, so I can’t speak to the experience of getting a Cabify ride on the fly (so to speak).

esperanza

Sep 17, 2016, 9:32 AM

Post #7 of 8 (8071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Uber in México City

I forgot to mention the other reason I also like Yaxi: if a friend or client who does not have Uber is visiting me from another country, I can request a Yaxi vehicle and my friend can get safely back to his/her hotel and pay the driver in cash. Yaxi immediately sends me a copy of the receipt, so I know the friend has arrived.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 17, 2016, 9:33 AM)

dmhaun

Nov 13, 2016, 5:29 AM

Post #8 of 8 (7800 views)

Shortcut

I use Uber in Mexico City and like it better than regular cabs. Once I choose the Uber closest to me, I watch it approach my location on my iPhone, with the vehicle license tag number, driver's name and photo of car. In the Uber, I can follow it on my phone as it takes me to my destination, scooting around traffic jams and stopped traffic. I can see the RED areas of congestion and see the Uber missing them. Most regular cabs did not use a traffic app and usually didn't take the fastest route.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4