Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

CozumelComplete

Sep 10, 2016, 5:42 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3952 views)

Shortcut

Citizenship and married names

Can't Post | Private Reply
A few years ago there was a big problem for American women to get their Mexican citiznshp because birth certificates do not match legal name. Was this ever resolved because it is about time for me to apply. My permenente and my USA passport have my married name.
Patricia A Holt
Cozumel The Complete Guide II

rvgringo

Sep 10, 2016, 10:51 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozumelComplete] Citizenship and married names

I think that you may have to visit the US Consulate to get a document from them, which will establish that you are the same person as on your birth certificate, marriage license, visas, passport, etc.
Many folks have gone through this and can probably give more specific advice.

CozumelComplete

Sep 10, 2016, 3:23 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Citizenship and married names

that is what I thought, but a few years ago someone here had a problem and they would not accept that
Patricia A Holt
Cozumel The Complete Guide II

rvgringo

Sep 10, 2016, 3:30 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozumelComplete] Citizenship and married names

I am sure that the consulate has dealt with it before. Ask them. If they seem unsure, ignorant or uncooperative, you may have to go directly to SRE and ask what they do accept in such cases. I think the Guadalajara area may be where the majority of these situations have occurred, as it is close to Chapala/Ajijic, etc., with a high population of expats, many of whom have been naturalized.

viktoremski

Sep 12, 2016, 11:54 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3852 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Citizenship and married names

I agree that the person should go to SRE and find out directly from them what will be accepted in her particular case. I remember the name issue mentioned about three years ago. As a result of those posts I got my name back to the original version, which was a costly and lengthy process (notifying everyone of the "new" old name). But I'm so glad I did that, as it made the citizenship process a lot less painless, and now I have all my papers in all three countries under exactly the same name ;-)

YucaLandia

Sep 12, 2016, 12:49 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Citizenship and married names

Viktor's experience fits the other stories we've heard from around Mexico.

Each SRE office has the discretion to make up its own local policies in these kinds of areas.

At least one SRE had granted citizenship (in the past) to a woman using her married name, via a constancia document from the government that certified the identity and maiden name of a woman whose birth name did not match her current US passport, her current INM card, nor her current drivers license.

That's just one SRE office, and it was pre-2013.

Our Merida SRE office stipulates (without exception) that the passport name, the INM recorded name, and the name of the birth certificate must match.

Post 2012 inquiries with the SRE office in DF gave the same results.

A close friend went through this 16 months ago in Merida, and was required to get their US Passport changed, and was required to pay full fees for getting a new INM Residente Permanente visa,

So... Viktor is correct: Anyone facing this issue needs to speak with their local SRE office that will process-approve their naturalized citizenship application.

http://www.mexconnect.com/...rried%20name;#194689 ... read the whole thread... **

All the best,
steve
**Observant readers may notice a bit of irony in this. The OP certainly does.
*grin*
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 12, 2016, 1:11 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4