Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

CozumelComplete

Sep 10, 2016, 5:36 AM

Post #1 of 11 (4971 views)

Shortcut

Bringing car on TIP????

Can't Post | Private Reply
Steve, I just know that you can answer this!!! Situation. Daughter has Residente Temporal, son-in-law has Permenente. Car is presently in Florida and is registered to Daughter. She wants husband to bring car back to Cozumel, can he do it and what will they need? Car is also financed, what kind of permission letter is needed.

Gracias
Patricia A Holt
Cozumel The Complete Guide II

YucaLandia

Sep 11, 2016, 11:00 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozumelComplete] Bringing car on TIP????

Quintana Roo requires that the owner maintain current valid registration back in Florida.

Florida requires annual emissions testing and insurance coverage.

A classic Catch-22, in the experience of friends of ours.

Our friends in that situation ultimately exhausted all options, and paid the extra shipping to return their Mercedes back to Florida.

You could consider driving an 8 or 9 year old American titled vehicle to the US-Mexico border, pay a licensed customs broker between $2,000 - $3,000 USD to permanently import it... and drive across Mexico to bring it to Q. Roo...

or... You could ship the vehicle into Q.Roo, with the Residente Temporal as the owner getting a TIP... then after it is in Q. Roo, then transfer your Florida title to South Dakota... and get annual South Dakota plates & registration (mailed to Florida)... and then drive the vehicle on the TIP and the annual SD renewals.... but when the person's Residente Temporal expires, the TIP expires with it... and you'd need to get a new Residente Temporal and then a new TIP at the Chetumal-Belize border. That would allow you to drive on a TIP outside of Q. Roo.

or... once the vehicle is inside Q. Roo with valid TIP and valid SD plates, then drive to the Chetumal Belize border, surrender the TIP, and drive the vehicle on current SD. title, plates, & registration... but only inside Q. Roo.

or... buy one of the many vehicles on TIPs in Q. Roo or Yucatan, owned (illegally) by foreigner Residente Permanentes ... take their vehicle to the Belize border outside Chetumal ... do the South Dakota dance, to get legitimate current SD title & plates & registration... and drive the vehicle only inside Q. Roo...

??
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 11, 2016, 11:16 PM)

CozumelComplete

Sep 12, 2016, 12:35 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Bringing car on TIP????

OK good info and advise Steve, BUT, she does not want to do the drive, Can her husband who has a residente Permenente bring the car with a notorized letter getting a tip under her name? Or would she have to fly and meet him at the border to do it .
Patricia A Holt
Cozumel The Complete Guide II

playaboy

Sep 12, 2016, 4:58 AM

Post #4 of 11 (4905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozumelComplete] Bringing car on TIP????

Yuca summed it up good. She can get a TIP online and he can drive it down.

Or ship it to Puerto Morales on a boat. It could cost the same as driving. http://www.hydeshipping.com/3/default.asp?p=home

YucaLandia

Sep 12, 2016, 1:07 PM

Post #5 of 11 (4875 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Bringing car on TIP????

yup...
-
Read-on MacDuff

Txdisgurl

Sep 19, 2016, 3:40 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4786 views)

Shortcut

I'm the daughter. A lil more info on my situation and what I think we are going to do. My car is a 2013, we bought it about a year prior to the move, and before people start commenting bad move this is what happened. We bought the car (still has a lien) before we planned on the move that soon. We lost our house and 90% of our belongings, other car & Harley in a flood in Fl in the spring. We decided instead of replacing everything lets just move now. My car has been sitting at in laws for 2 years now. I am renewing my residente temp visa right now, will renew 1 more year after this. My car will be paid off right before I get Perm. We are shipping car while in Fl via recommended company above, will do TIP online as soon as temp res is finished. Any other info or advise will be helpful. TIA

YucaLandia

Sep 19, 2016, 4:12 PM

Post #7 of 11 (4780 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Txdisgurl] Bringing car on TIP????

So so sorry about the losses...

If you have decided to bring the car to Mexico, how will you resolve the issue of keeping the Florida plates, registration, FLA insurance, and EMISSIONS TESTING current?

Our Florida friends who have taken vehicles to Q.Roo have been repeatedly stopped by various flavors of State, Municipal, and Federal police... and all 3 flavors of cops know to check for valid current registration.

In the past, Florida refused to renew registration unless you had contemporaneous certified emissions testing AND insurance.

One legal work-around is to download 2 pdf files from the Clay County Clerk + Treasurer's office in South Dakota. Complete those 2 files (a request for a SD title, and an affadavit that you are NOT a SD resident) ... and call the VERY NICE ladies at the Clay County Clerk-Treasurers office ... to find out the total costs for getting a SD title, SD registration, and SD tags. They can give you the total amount for the check to send with the completed forms... and they will mail you a new SD title + license plates + registration.

~ SD does NOT require current insurance ... so you can happily pay for ONLY insurance in Mexico (while maintaining FL plates costs you for both Mexico + FL insurance).

~ SD allows you to renew your plates & registration by mail (or online), as they send you the annual new stickers, & plates + registration docs... sent to you by US mail to a US address of your choice (no need to maintain any formal residence address in the US)

When you come to Q.Roo with your SD title & SD plates/registration, you temporarily import the car with either a Visitor's visa or Residente Temporal visa.

Once you are driving around Q.Roo, you can keep renewing the Aduana/Banjercito Temporary Import Permit (TIP), which allows you to drive both inside and outside Q.Roo, as long as you renew your Residente Temporal (RT) visa.

If you choose to drop the Visitante visa, or drop the RT visa, you can simply drive the car to the Chetumal border, cancel/surrender the TIP, recover your deposit, and DRIVE STRAIGHT BACK into Q.Roo as a foreigner driving a foreign plated car (with current valid foreign registration) in a formal Free Zone. ... but the car is then quarantined to driving only inside Q. Roo...

Makes sense?

See this site for more details:
https://yucalandia.com/...ing-a-car-in-mexico/

Feel free to send me PMs with any other questions.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

Txdisgurl

Sep 19, 2016, 4:47 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4773 views)

Shortcut

We have never had Emissions testing on any of our vehicles, I've renewed my registration on line the last 3 years for this vehicle. My main concern is will I have problems with it having TIP when it arrives via cargo ship? In 2 years when it's paid off we will take it to the border to either nationalize it or sell it. I've talked to my finance company and they just want proof of full coverage for there, shipping and while here. USAA has already sent me a letter for them saying they will cover during entire shipping procedure and when the vehicle hits land here the Mexican insurance will begin.

YucaLandia

Sep 20, 2016, 9:12 AM

Post #9 of 11 (4737 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
We have never had Emissions testing on any of our vehicles,

I've renewed my registration on line the last 3 years for this vehicle.

My main concern is will I have problems with it having TIP when it arrives via cargo ship? In 2 years when it's paid off we will take it to the border to either nationalize it or sell it. I've talked to my finance company and they just want proof of full coverage for there, shipping and while here. USAA has already sent me a letter for them saying they will cover during entire shipping procedure and when the vehicle hits land here the Mexican insurance will begin.

It sounds like you have your bases covered.

Will Florida DMV allow you to renew your FL plates & registration without having insurance? Our friends gave up on this, and shipped their vehicle back to Florida to avoid all the heavy FL insurance costs while the vehicle was in Mexico. ??
-
Read-on MacDuff

Txdisgurl

Sep 20, 2016, 9:15 AM

Post #10 of 11 (4736 views)

Shortcut

Right now all we have on it is storage ins which isn't too bad so if worse comes to worse I will just reinstate that.

playaboy

Sep 22, 2016, 7:20 AM

Post #11 of 11 (4679 views)

Shortcut

There is no problem with having a TIP and shipping a vehicle to Puerto Morales.

You probably will get a 6 month TIP when applying online. Before you ferry the car over to Cozumel, you might want to drive to Belize/Chetumal border, cancel the online TIP, and get a new TIP for the full time period of your RT.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4